Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:39 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Re: What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

I got shocked by the overhead cables everywhere. Even in a third world country without any natural disasters, ours were all buried.

The billboards, which make the place look so tacky.

The houses made from cardboard, though now that I've been here for a decade, I actually prefer to the brick - easier to remodel.

How bad the schooling is. In Florida at least. If we didn't have the homeschooling option, I'd have left for Europe years ago.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I got shocked by the overhead cables everywhere. Even in a third world country without any natural disasters, ours were all buried.

The billboards, which make the place look so tacky.

The houses made from cardboard, though now that I've been here for a decade, I actually prefer to the brick - easier to remodel.

How bad the schooling is. In Florida at least. If we didn't have the homeschooling option, I'd have left for Europe years ago.
Oh yes agree with you very much on them points.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:59 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no idea of the scale. I hired a car for 19 days and thought I would visit LA, New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., The Grand Canyon etc!
I remember sitting on the plane on my first trip out here. I was traveling alone and really excited I was going to see all these cool places I had seen on T.V. A guy next to me on the plane was telling me how my perception of America would change forever once I actually saw it. He said the scale of it would blow my mind. Boy was he right!
I landed in Houston TX and did not leave Texas for the whole 19 days of my visit. I started my trip with a dressage symposium in Houston (Robert Dover). On the 2nd day I sat next to the girl who two years later would become my wife. Amazing to think how things work out.
I have stated this before but the biggest change in how I viewed the US was the realization that it is in fact 50 smaller countries under the star spangled banner. Some states even have border crossing controls. I had imagined it would be a lot like the UK - states being more like counties. I knew it was diverse, but found there was a lot more geographical segregation.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Before you ever moved or visited, what images popped into your head when you thought about life over here? Cowboys and indians? Red carpet celebrities? Racist bible thumping rednecks? Amber waves of grain? A nation without poor?

I'll admit that when I think of England I think of the typical touristy stuff, Red phone booths, double decker busses, gray misty weather, everybody carrying an umbrella, Dickensonian urchins groveling in the streets, (I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins!) narrow roads and tiny cars. I figure my perceptions are about 5 decades off (Thanks Disney!) if not more... Of course, having never been there, and not seeing much of the "real" modern England in the media here, my perceptions were formed by all the old Disney stuff to an extent. Being a member here is helping to change that, of course...

Kind of an odd question I know, but it's early, I'm curious and I think the answers will be interesting. To me anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:03 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Wish I'd watched Deliverance before moving.
I'm never going to live down that gallery pic am I?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I can relate to that comment.
I'm probably related to that comment...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm never going to live down that gallery pic am I?
No but some of us like to think we know you a lot better now
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that is one of the biggest shocks to me, how far behind this country is. friends that have come out here to visit and stay with us away from the hotels and tourist areas comment on it.
This is interesting. "Behind" in what ways? Fashion, technology, infrastructure, food and drink, entertainment..? What would dazzle me should I visit the U.K.?

P.S. Saying "all of the above" doesn't count, and due to bandwidth, please keep your list shorter than 100gigs worth of text...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

No but some of us like to think we know you a lot better now

My Mom always told me to make a good first impression!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting. "Behind" in what ways? Fashion, technology, infrastructure, food and drink, entertainment..? What would dazzle me should I visit the U.K.?

P.S. Saying "all of the above" doesn't count, and due to bandwidth, please keep your list shorter than 100gigs worth of text...
Fashion, technology, infrastructure, food and drink...how's that?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

What's the English word for Smarta$$?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the average clothes shops Lady's Fashion is at least a year later over here, and I'm being kind with that comment as well, plus your cell phones are behind our's.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the English word for Smarta$$?
jerseygirl
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
jerseygirl
That's just what I was gonna say.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just tell it like it is mate I was being on my best behavior.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just tell it like it is mate I was being on my best behavior.
You know me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.