Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Before you ever moved or visited, what images popped into your head when you thought about life over here? Cowboys and indians? Red carpet celebrities? Racist bible thumping rednecks? Amber waves of grain? A nation without poor?

I'll admit that when I think of England I think of the typical touristy stuff, Red phone booths, double decker busses, gray misty weather, everybody carrying an umbrella, Dickensonian urchins groveling in the streets, (I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins!) narrow roads and tiny cars. I figure my perceptions are about 5 decades off (Thanks Disney!) if not more... Of course, having never been there, and not seeing much of the "real" modern England in the media here, my perceptions were formed by all the old Disney stuff to an extent. Being a member here is helping to change that, of course...

Kind of an odd question I know, but it's early, I'm curious and I think the answers will be interesting. To me anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins
you could try Liverpool for that
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Thanks, I'll ad that to my list of places to see that I've heard so much about on BE!

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I look back now and wonder what was I thinking at the time, I blame myself for watching to many American programmes and being as my USC OH had been living out of the country himself for 8 years, so there for he was guilty of rose tinted glasses.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll ad that to my list of places to see that I've heard so much about on BE!

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...
Don't forget Putney!!

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across any street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

Everyone seems remarkable cheerful and polite - including the ladies who manned the phone at the Inland Revenue and British Gas

Grocery stores do not offer 34 different varieties of Ranch dressing , but their delicatessen counters would make your mouth water.

Luckily I brought the nice weather with me. And I had dinner at Nando's on Monday...

Last edited by Elvira; Aug 1st 2007 at 3:00 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
Don't forget Putney!!

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across and street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

Everyone seems remarkable cheerful and polite - including the ladies who manned the phone at the Inland Revenue and British Gas

Grocery stores do not offer 34 different varieties of Ranch dressing , but their delicatessen counters would make your mouth water.

Luckily I brought the nice weather with me. And I had dinner at Nando's on Monday...
Great hearing from you Elvira
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:00 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by britvic
I look back now and wonder what was I thinking at the time, I blame myself for watching to many American programmes and being as my USC OH had been living out of the country himself for 8 years, so there for he was guilty of rose tinted glasses.
Don't blame yourself, there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there. And in your Hubs line of work, it's not like you could live anywhere you wanted either, being stuck in a place you don't like would suck. I've heard that living on Base is an experience unto itself... Espescially enlisted housing, there's always some drama.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't blame yourself, there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there. And in your Hubs line of work, it's not like you could live anywhere you wanted either, being stuck in a place you don't like would suck. I've heard that living on Base is an experience unto itself... Espescially enlisted housing, there's always some drama.
I learned to keep myself to myself a long time ago, anyway most move on after two year's and not looking to make any sort of solid friendships.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget Putney!!

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across any street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

omg what are you doing posting on here, get a life woman...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elfman
haha and when was the last time you were in liverpool? there are posh peeps now in the 'pool...all the urchins moved to manchester donkeys yrs ago
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg what are you doing posting on here, get a life woman...
Off to dinner with a friend and then on to the Proms in just a few minutes.

Bolshoi last night

It's all good...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there.
it's so true, one never knows a place until they live in it and i should know i'd been visiting this country for donkeys yrs, even have the outlaws living here but wow what a culture shock when you mix with the natives
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

It's all good...
Nando's is good
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget Putney!!

I need an envious smilie.

Have a great time El.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.