British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-did-you-think-u-s-before-you-moved-here-470664/)

another bloody yank Aug 1st 2007 1:46 pm

What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Before you ever moved or visited, what images popped into your head when you thought about life over here? Cowboys and indians? Red carpet celebrities? Racist bible thumping rednecks? Amber waves of grain? A nation without poor?

I'll admit that when I think of England I think of the typical touristy stuff, Red phone booths, double decker busses, gray misty weather, everybody carrying an umbrella, Dickensonian urchins groveling in the streets, (I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins!) narrow roads and tiny cars. I figure my perceptions are about 5 decades off (Thanks Disney!:frown:) if not more... Of course, having never been there, and not seeing much of the "real" modern England in the media here, my perceptions were formed by all the old Disney stuff to an extent. Being a member here is helping to change that, of course...

Kind of an odd question I know, but it's early, I'm curious and I think the answers will be interesting. To me anyway.:p

elfman Aug 1st 2007 2:22 pm

Re: What did you think of the U.S., before you moved here?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5133535)
I'll be very dissapointed if I ever visit and there are no urchins

you could try Liverpool for that :D

another bloody yank Aug 1st 2007 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5133679)

Thanks, I'll ad that to my list of places to see that I've heard so much about on BE!

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...

britvic Aug 1st 2007 2:50 pm

I look back now and wonder what was I thinking at the time, I blame myself for watching to many American programmes :o and being as my USC OH had been living out of the country himself for 8 years, so there for he was guilty of rose tinted glasses.

britvic Aug 1st 2007 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5133740)
Thanks, I'll ad that to my list of places to see that I've heard so much about on BE!

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...

:rofl: :rofl:

Elvira Aug 1st 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5133740)

Salford

Ealing/Southhall

Now Liverpool...

Don't forget Putney!! :thumbup:

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across any street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

Everyone seems remarkable cheerful and polite - including the ladies who manned the phone at the Inland Revenue and British Gas :ohmy:

Grocery stores do not offer 34 different varieties of Ranch dressing :blink::blink:, but their delicatessen counters would make your mouth water.

Luckily I brought the nice weather with me. And I had dinner at Nando's on Monday... :thumbsup:

britvic Aug 1st 2007 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5133767)

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across and street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

Everyone seems remarkable cheerful and polite - including the ladies who manned the phone at the Inland Revenue and British Gas :ohmy:

Grocery stores do not offer 34 different varieties of Ranch dressing :blink::blink:, but their delicatessen counters would make your mouth water.

Luckily I brought the nice weather with me. And I had dinner at Nando's on Monday... :thumbsup:

Great hearing from you Elvira :thumbup:

another bloody yank Aug 1st 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 5133754)
I look back now and wonder what was I thinking at the time, I blame myself for watching to many American programmes :o and being as my USC OH had been living out of the country himself for 8 years, so there for he was guilty of rose tinted glasses.

Don't blame yourself, there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there. And in your Hubs line of work, it's not like you could live anywhere you wanted either, being stuck in a place you don't like would suck. I've heard that living on Base is an experience unto itself... Espescially enlisted housing, there's always some drama.

britvic Aug 1st 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5133794)
Don't blame yourself, there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there. And in your Hubs line of work, it's not like you could live anywhere you wanted either, being stuck in a place you don't like would suck. I've heard that living on Base is an experience unto itself... Espescially enlisted housing, there's always some drama.

I learned to keep myself to myself a long time ago, anyway most move on after two year's and not looking to make any sort of solid friendships.

TruBrit Aug 1st 2007 3:23 pm

I arrived here on Sunday. Have not come across any street urchins. Or chavs for that matter. Plenty of people partaking of European street-cafe culture though.

omg what are you doing posting on here, get a life woman...:blink:

TruBrit Aug 1st 2007 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5133679)

haha and when was the last time you were in liverpool? there are posh peeps now in the 'pool...all the urchins moved to manchester donkeys yrs ago :lol:

Elvira Aug 1st 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 5133869)
omg what are you doing posting on here, get a life woman...:blink:

Off to dinner with a friend and then on to the Proms in just a few minutes.

Bolshoi last night :thumbup:

It's all good...

TruBrit Aug 1st 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 5133794)
there's no way to tell what a place is really like until you live there.

it's so true, one never knows a place until they live in it and i should know i'd been visiting this country for donkeys yrs, even have the outlaws living here but wow what a culture shock when you mix with the natives :eek:

TruBrit Aug 1st 2007 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5133887)

It's all good...

Nando's is good ;)

Jerseygirl Aug 1st 2007 3:29 pm

I need an envious smilie. :(

Have a great time El.