Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:10 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Fitz750
Not for long though; hopefully getting a transfer out soon

good for you....back home
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Partystar
It was a serious question, I wanted to know if it was a joke. I've never heard anything good about the education system over here, all I've ever heard is that a British education is better. So please, if you have some stats or anything like that, I'd love to see them. I am looking for a reason to stay here & if some schools/colleges are better, I'd love to know. Thanx in advance.
I moved to the US in 1992 (married an american). After my divorce I decided to stay and see what happened. I did a masters degree in 1999 at Loyola College in Baltimore (my BA was from England). I thought that the education here was excellent. Lots of practical, hands on experience combined with some wonderful professors who really knew what they were talking about. I have recently applied to do a Phd here, which would be fully funded. I have spoken to friends from the UK who seem to think that their system is the best. NOT TRUE! It is harder here to get into a Phd program and it takes longer too. There are so many requirements and stipulations. On a personal level, I hold both UK and US citizenship and I feel very lucky. I didn't want to move here back in 1992, but I am glad I did. I will probably go back to the UK in the next few years, but I have enjoyed my experience here. One concern I have right now is that I think I have become very americanized and maybe will go through the whole 'culture shock' thing again in reverse!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi there,
Why Apache Junction, just out of curiosity?
Because its a nice small town with beautiful scenery,near the lakes,plenty of sunshine all year round (84F yesterday) up in the 70,s all next week.All acre and a quarter lots where we live so plenty of space,good restaraunts,bars,supermarkets etc.Superstiton Springs mall just a few minutes away.Hot in the summer but eight months of gorgeous weather.Best kept secret in the USA ,golf courses galore,ski slopes not too far away.80,000 snowbirds winter here every year so it cant be that bad,just a small cowboy town,would not live anywhere else.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:26 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good for you....back home
Yes and No

Probably going back to Blighty but "home is where the heart is" so for me home is Italy.

Looking forward to going back to the UK but a bit apprehensive also.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:28 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz750

"home is where the heart is" .

so very true...cheers and hope it all works out
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

To respond to a couple of questions/comments:

There are certainly distinct advantages to doing a postgraduate degree here, in terms of financing, quality of education, and flexibility of programs.

In terms of financing, yes, at many places being an out of state student can be very expensive. However, at the postgraduate level, many places pay your in-state and out-of-state tuition for you if you get an assistantship.

And finally, my comments about the high quality of education here were restricted to postgraduate education - not undergraduate degrees or "school" (i.e., little kids).

p.s. I teach at the university level and have been in the US higher education system since 1990
p.p.s. My comments do not apply to the $50 internet Ph.D. in fluffy bunny psychology from Okefenokee Community College.

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 11th 2006 at 9:51 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:54 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Because its a nice small town with beautiful scenery,near the lakes,plenty of sunshine all year round (84F yesterday) up in the 70,s all next week.All acre and a quarter lots where we live so plenty of space,good restaraunts,bars,supermarkets etc.Superstiton Springs mall just a few minutes away.Hot in the summer but eight months of gorgeous weather.Best kept secret in the USA ,golf courses galore,ski slopes not too far away.80,000 snowbirds winter here every year so it cant be that bad,just a small cowboy town,would not live anywhere else.

Ssshhhhhhhhh you need to keep it quiet otherwise everyone will be moving there and once that happens it will change. Those best kept secrets are best kept. Trust me. lololol
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:58 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bloomin' expensive though, and unless it's a big ivy leaguer like Yale/Havard, would have bugger all kudos overseas, bit like anyone that got a design degree or international law from brunel

cough cough cough!!!
aww Brunel University, as pants as it was, when I say I have an honors degree in English and Drama to the yanks they seem quite impressed!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

And while we're on the subject (see, you got me started, now), I agree with the earlier comment that in fact some PhD programs in the UK are of inferior quality, especially research-based ones (i.e., with no taught component).

I have seen first hand that they can produce graduates with a very narrow view of the world, becasue they spend all their time studying a single, narrow, research question using the same design and analysis in all their research. In order to be a decent researcher you have to be able to understand the content and design and analyses of other people's research, too. Relying on a single faculty supervisor (who him/herself may have gone through a similarly-narrow research Ph.D. program) to provide a Ph.D. student's education is a potentially dangerous model, IMHO.

What concerns me even more is the degree of in-breeding that seems to be going on at many UK institutions. This is where Ph.D. graduates are hired by the institution they graduated from - or even worse, they are hired as masters level faculty and do their Ph.D. in the same department they are working in, supervised by their colleagues. Bloody lunacy if you ask me.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:31 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

ME: A birth canal

MARK: Love -- came here on a K1 fiance visa and married me. Eligible for US naturalization next year.

It's been interesting reading how people feel about staying or returning "home"... Mark and I have always thought that, eventually, we will end up in the UK and wondered how children will factor in to that equation. (We don't have any yet, not sure when we will, but my clock's already starting to tick!) We've discussed the American vs British education issues, etc. On the one hand I feel that as dual citizens our children will be at a great advantage, because they'll have more choices and opportunities from which to choose. But at the same time it can create problems if part of the family is happy in one country and the others are unhappy there. I suppose it's a bit premature for us to worry about those things, but still, it's something to keep in mind...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
cough cough cough!!!
aww Brunel University, as pants as it was, when I say I have an honors degree in English and Drama to the yanks they seem quite impressed!
design, it's rated with loughborough as the top two in europe, it's highly rated in engineering and law, as well as sports...but has anyone heard of the place outside of students? bugger all...well actually just one, but then the blokes daughter was dating a Brit that was going there *l*

oh, and to make you laugh, one of my mates after design, did a masters there as well, in bio-engineering, and then did a phd somewhere, don't know if he finished the phd or not, but he's now working at the local copper in Egham, shame the campus is all but closed

Last edited by Bob; Feb 11th 2006 at 10:53 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:24 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
design, it's rated with loughborough as the top two in europe, it's highly rated in engineering and law, as well as sports...but has anyone heard of the place outside of students? bugger all...well actually just one, but then the blokes daughter was dating a Brit that was going there *l*

oh, and to make you laugh, one of my mates after design, did a masters there as well, in bio-engineering, and then did a phd somewhere, don't know if he finished the phd or not, but he's now working at the local copper in Egham, shame the campus is all but closed

Twicks was lovely. Right on the river, a stone's throw from beautiful Richmond and 30mins from central London. Pete Townshend had a recording studio next door, we used to see that bloke from the Lightening Seeds and Massive Attack wandering round all the time looking scruffy. Never did see Pete Townshend though, probably too busy on the internet. ahem.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:35 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
sorry got to spread
Mmmm now there's lovely thought
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:48 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bloomin' expensive though, and unless it's a big ivy leaguer like Yale/Havard, would have bugger all kudos overseas, bit like anyone that got a design degree or international law from brunel

University of California is very good value though. Fees are not significantly more than in the UK. And Berkeley is ranked 5th nationwide, and definitely one of the most renowned unis in the world.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:52 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarah
Twicks was lovely. Right on the river, a stone's throw from beautiful Richmond and 30mins from central London. Pete Townshend had a recording studio next door, we used to see that bloke from the Lightening Seeds and Massive Attack wandering round all the time looking scruffy. Never did see Pete Townshend though, probably too busy on the internet. ahem.
"Twicks"??? "TWICKS"???? Sure sign off a yuppy is abreviating a perfectly good town name into something barely recognisable. Honestly Sarah, stop pretending I know you really lived on the Ivy Bridge Estate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.