Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why is he/she languishing?
He's at Uni....the easy life
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:26 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blaze
What was the original reason that you moved to the USA or Canada? Not necessarily what keeps you here (there), but what made you come here in the first place. So many of us seem to say that we would go home in a heartbeat, so what was the event or reason that made you take the plunge and move? For me it was meeting my American husband 16 years ago in Britain and moving with him. If it had not been for that chance meeting my life would be so incredibly different right now and I would probably still be living in Britain.
I did something terrible in a previous life.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:27 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chorlton

lol chorlton that makes two of us..k on its way to you
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:28 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol chorlton that makes two of us..k on its way to you

sorry got to spread
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:29 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
pmsl
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:44 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I went out one night
And danced with a man...
No stockings or candy
But he was American

We talked on the phone
He called me his Chic
No one had called me that since 86

I introduced him to Yorkshire pudding
We went bowling and I gave him a drubbing
And then he told me he had to go home
And i worried he would leave me alone

I never wanted to come to the states
But one can learn to love what one thought one would hate
I'm giving it a go in the best way I can
So what brought me to the States, yes it was a man!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I married a USC in 2001, he moved the the UK where we llived until July last year. We moved here after much persuasion by the in-laws, actually not sure why we anymore, it seemed like a good idea at the time. But I'm definitely not staying for good.

Annette
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

MissPatriotic is on a distinguished road

Spent a year in Munich (2000-2001) as part of my degree and met a nice american guy who was also spending a year there. we carried on the relationship for about another 4 years and then i recently moved over to the states to get married and live here.
Don't know if we are staying here forever, i would be quite happy to go back to the UK.

Last edited by MissPatriotic; Feb 11th 2006 at 5:09 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:23 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is that a joke?

WHy would it be? Say what you like about the US, but they have some excellent universities.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:25 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
He's at Uni....the easy life

Does he (you??) have to pay overseas fees though? :scared:

What about his GC - any risk of losing that (or is he dual?)

These are the things that worry me at the moment as one of my little darlings wants to back to uni in the UK...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:27 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I went out one night
And danced with a man...
No stockings or candy
But he was American

We talked on the phone
He called me his Chic
No one had called me that since 86

I introduced him to Yorkshire pudding
We went bowling and I gave him a drubbing
And then he told me he had to go home
And i worried he would leave me alone

I never wanted to come to the states
But one can learn to love what one thought one would hate
I'm giving it a go in the best way I can
So what brought me to the States, yes it was a man!

And BE's Robbie Burns Memorial Poetry Award goes to...

Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

greed..big house, pool in my back garden, even bigger car, more money to spend on shoes, clothes and handbags..thats about it really.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is that a joke?
Nope, maybe just a slight case of hyperbole.

Particularly at the (post)graduate level, the US system has a level of flexibility, resources, and financial support that many UK universities do not have.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:15 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
Work three years ago

I had just happened to make friends with several people in Boston, and had been out for two vacations to stay with them ... my company also happened to have an office here, so I applied for a transfer. Moved over on an L1-B visa.

3 years later, I'm married to one of those friends, and don't want to move back!
I don't blame you, I love mass!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:16 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A plane....
DUH!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.