Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Originally Posted by Bob
Bloomin' expensive though, and unless it's a big ivy leaguer like Yale/Havard, would have bugger all kudos overseas, bit like anyone that got a design degree or international law from brunel
I don't think that's true of post grad degrees here, nor of certain areas of study, nor of certain universities.

At the University of Georgia, for example (this was back in the early 90s), I had all tuition paid plus a stipend of over 10,000 dollars for a 9-month PhD assistantship contract (I worked in the summer). For 3 of the 4 years I was there, it was essentially a "scholarship" (academic performance based award, no duties assigned); the other year I had to work 13 hrs a week preparing and teaching classes.

Also, UGA is highly respected in many areas of study - even in the UK, and especially in my area of study (exercise science).
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:25 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
WHy would it be? Say what you like about the US, but they have some excellent universities.
It was a serious question, I wanted to know if it was a joke. I've never heard anything good about the education system over here, all I've ever heard is that a British education is better. So please, if you have some stats or anything like that, I'd love to see them. I am looking for a reason to stay here & if some schools/colleges are better, I'd love to know. Thanx in advance.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Also, UGA is highly respected in many areas of study - even in the UK, and especially in my area of study (exercise science).
Guess it depends on area of study and post work...but getting a BA/BSC, just like getting one from any uni in the UK that isn't OxBridge really does get bugger all kudos when you switch sides of the pond, so really should depend on where you fancy working in the long run to see if the investment is worth it...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
It was a serious question, I wanted to know if it was a joke. I've never heard anything good about the education system over here, all I've ever heard is that a British education is better. So please, if you have some stats or anything like that, I'd love to see them. I am looking for a reason to stay here & if some schools/colleges are better, I'd love to know. Thanx in advance.
plenty of good uni's, private ones ain't cheap, and unless you planned on working here, wouldn't carry much aboard for kudos unless you wanted to go beyond a degree.

plenty of good medical/law/science/political colleges around...just have to look beyond the drinking colleges and community affairs...hell, even maine is highly regarded if you want to get into nursing.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:36 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Nope, maybe just a slight case of hyperbole.

Particularly at the (post)graduate level, the US system has a level of flexibility, resources, and financial support that many UK universities do not have.
Are you saying that the education is comparable to England or better? What about costs? I'm guessing that it's more expensive to go to college/university over here, so is it really worth it considering that? I'd love to know more about it, as one of my major concerns about staying here is that my son's education will suffer. I could be worrying unnecessarily, but what I've experienced/heard so far, does not bode well.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by USBound
well I was made redundant working in games twice in 1 year so I put my CV out further afield.. got offers from Brisbane Aus, Vancouver Canada & LA in the US...

I chose LA and I've been here 2 years now... Green card process well on its way.
I'd have picked Brissy, but that's just me!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:40 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you saying that the education is comparable to England or better? What about costs? I'm guessing that it's more expensive to go to college/university over here, so is it really worth it considering that? I'd love to know more about it, as one of my major concerns about staying here is that my son's education will suffer. I could be worrying unnecessarily, but what I've experienced/heard so far, does not bode well.
first i've heard of education being better here...lots of americans have their kids in boarding schools in the uk because of better schooling......nope if you've the money the uk is the place to educate children in my opinion and from what i've read.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Depends on state and the uni....if your a resident, you can possibly get great funding and it might cost you nothing, or it might cost you a house...

Other thing to think about, in the UK, you currently have to have resided for 3 years before enrolling to get UK rates, otherwise you'll get international fee's, which aren't cheap, for my mate to go to Brunel on the design course cost him £20K a year.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:53 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
first i've heard of education being better here...lots of americans have their kids in boarding schools in the uk because of better schooling......nope if you've the money the uk is the place to educate children in my opinion and from what i've read.
I went to a private school for 2 years in England. I got a scholarship, so it wasn't too expensive, but it was the best school I ever went to, the education I received was superb & I wish I could have stayed there. My dream is to send my son there.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:55 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on state and the uni....if your a resident, you can possibly get great funding and it might cost you nothing, or it might cost you a house...

Other thing to think about, in the UK, you currently have to have resided for 3 years before enrolling to get UK rates, otherwise you'll get international fee's, which aren't cheap, for my mate to go to Brunel on the design course cost him £20K a year.
Hmmm, didn't know that, thanx for the info Bob. I hope to move back to England, so we'll see what hubby thinks.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:01 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Work - Funny thing though since i got here i've not done much work.

Someone told me "Ahh Americans, they work long hours and achieve very little"

So far so true.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:03 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz750
Work - Funny thing though since i got here i've not done much work.

So far so true.
hey fitz good for you...seems like you've a cushy number in houston
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hmmm, didn't know that, thanx for the info Bob. I hope to move back to England, so we'll see what hubby thinks.
Aye, it's a bugger really for some people, if your abroad for temp reasons, such as a company transfer for a project, then you might be good to go, but if you've got a greencard in the works, thats shot. Each uni will have different costs for international students, pretty similar, but depends on course type...and it's only so expensive because when you go, and apply for LEA student loan sponsorship, and get awarded, you pay a max of the first £3K a year, but the LEA picks the tab for the rest of the fee, which for a lab based course was at my old place, £13K a year....so peopl get a good deal out of the LEA.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Fitz750
It's more work hours to dob off ain't it
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:09 am

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey fitz good for you...seems like you've a cushy number in houston
Not for long though; hopefully getting a transfer out soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.