Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What advice would you give

What advice would you give

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice
Default Re: What advice would you give

Originally Posted by dunroving
You also said in your earlier post "I still however miss England very much or, at least the wonderful memories I have"

- how often have you been back to the UK and for how long? My own experience, having been here and there a fair bit is that (a) when you leave the UK, you tend to remember the best bits, and forget the really bad bits, and (b) the longer you are away from the UK, the harder it is to assimilate to living back there. At least that's been the case for me (having returned to the UK after living 24 years on the "other side").

A few months before I left to come back here, I was offered the possibility of taking 12 months' unpaid leave from my US employer. I can tell you without a doubt, if I'd done that, I would have been back to the US at the end of those 12 months. It's easy to get wrapped up in long ago happy memories and images of chocolate box Britain, whereas the harsh reality of actually settling back there is not always the same. For some folks, yes, it's exactly what they thought, their family and friends are still there, they settle straight back into their old routine, or into a new routine. All I'm saying is that the longer you've been away, the more important it is to not burn your bridges too quickly, take a long. hard look at the realities of moving back, take a prolonged visit there, whatever it takes to be really sure that the UK is where you will be happy.
Your exactly right. Remembering England and actually living there again I'm sure would be a totally different experience than anything I might hope for. I've only been back once as an adult. As you can imagine there were alot of changes. I still have school mates I keep in touch with now. I don't however, have much family there. As I said I have built a life here, and as much as I would love the chance to go back, the reality is that it is a huge undertaking to start a new life anywhere especially at my age and with the economy being so unpredictable.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra23
Your exactly right. Remembering England and actually living there again I'm sure would be a totally different experience than anything I might hope for. I've only been back once as an adult. As you can imagine there were alot of changes. I still have school mates I keep in touch with now. I don't however, have much family there. As I said I have built a life here, and as much as I would love the chance to go back, the reality is that it is a huge undertaking to start a new life anywhere especially at my age and with the economy being so unpredictable.
So enjoy the good stuff here, eh?
There's always a trip back to enjoy the history/countryside/pub life. Plug back in for a bit.

You could actually consider yourself to be a different sort. Pick and choose the best of both as you see fit. A real adventurer.
If you have been an expat for so long, you have pretty much earned the right to do/take what you want from either culture. Anyone who survives that has (sort of) passed an ordeal by fire, as it were.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Xebedee
So enjoy the good stuff here, eh?
There's always a trip back to enjoy the history/countryside/pub life. Plug back in for a bit.

You could actually consider yourself to be a different sort. Pick and choose the best of both as you see fit. A real adventurer.
If you have been an expat for so long, you have pretty much earned the right to do/take what you want from either culture. Anyone who survives that has (sort of) passed an ordeal by fire, as it were.
I guess what I miss the most is that sence of security. The toughest thing for me as a divorced single (my son and daughter are now both on their own) ,is the fear that everything I've established, everything I've worked for could be lost with one major medical crisis. I have a savings account, an ivestment account, a retirement account, and a checking account. But I know I'm not the only one that has that thought in back of my head that, it just won't be enough of a safeguard. I do thank you for your encouraging words. I' not as pecimistic as I must sound. I do have good freinds here and I have a great time as often as I can. I Holiday in St. petersburg in florida every year. I also travel to California. Last March I went to my neice's wedding in Ohio and in the spring I will be going to visit my sister in Chicargo. Ialso keep up with my artwork, mostly oil painting. Life is full. I just need Health insurance and my life would be complete. I'm part of that growing American population that has two great jobs and now health insurance. What's your experience with insurance or lack of?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:40 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

...........I'm part of that growing American population that has two great jobs and now health insurance. What's your experience with insurance or lack of?
My family has been without it and it was very scary. Cobra isn't really a viable option for most.
My Daughter had lived with us (until recently) without health insurance and had to use county services.
My Wife had her on county services and they were ok.
I have none at the mo - I am on my wife's policy.
I've held jobs which didn't offer it at all and some which denied spousal coverage.
I've known a fair few people who didn't have it at all.

I find the whole US health insurance thing morally bankrupt and am hoping that the next President will do something decent. *Throws salt and spits*.

The baby boomers impact is the one thing that bothers me most. They are just starting to retire and when my generation does, who knows what impact they will have had. I don't think it won't be minor.

Insurance is really important in retirement isn't it? Medicare is really minimal and its still insurance anyway. My thoughts for retirement are to share it between here and the UK. If the UK continues to go down the toilet, we stay here. If it gets crap here, we go there. Until then we just plan to do 1/2 and 1/2.

I wouldn't move back to the UK just because of the NHS. Saying that, if I were single, pissed off and without coverage, my opinion might be different. Its a tough call to make.
But then, when you have a lot invested here, well.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Most of you know my opinion on this but lets voice it yet again lol

I love the US and my life here, if my mother was not there I would never bother to go back to the UK.

The pro's... personally quality of life is better here and I would never earn in the UK what I do in the US.

But thats just my opinion each to thier own.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Xebedee
My family has been without it and it was very scary. Cobra isn't really a viable option for most.
My Daughter had lived with us (until recently) without health insurance and had to use county services.
My Wife had her on county services and they were ok.
I have none at the mo - I am on my wife's policy.
I've held jobs which didn't offer it at all and some which denied spousal coverage.
I've known a fair few people who didn't have it at all.

I find the whole US health insurance thing morally bankrupt and am hoping that the next President will do something decent. *Throws salt and spits*.

The baby boomers impact is the one thing that bothers me most. They are just starting to retire and when my generation does, who knows what impact they will have had. I don't think it won't be minor.

Insurance is really important in retirement isn't it? Medicare is really minimal and its still insurance anyway. My thoughts for retirement are to share it between here and the UK. If the UK continues to go down the toilet, we stay here. If it gets crap here, we go there. Until then we just plan to do 1/2 and 1/2.

I wouldn't move back to the UK just because of the NHS. Saying that, if I were single, pissed off and without coverage, my opinion might be different. Its a tough call to make.
But then, when you have a lot invested here, well.
I'm Guessing that every imigrant that's moved here has a similar story. I would say it's an American story too. Americans seem to be finally and justly angry about the healthcare crisis. It's certainly become a hot topic on the political platform this year. Maybe if the government received the same lousy health insurance as the general public they'd make the necessary reforms. It's really sad that such a wealthy country has such enormouse social issues. All the best with you and your family. Hope you keep whatever insurance you have. I have too much vested here to consider a major move to UK or anywhere else. I hope whoever wins this election keeps healthcare on the front burner. Cheers for now
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

I love the US and my life here, if my mother was not there I would never bother to go back to the UK.

The pro's... personally quality of life is better here and I would never earn in the UK what I do in the US.

Heaven forbid but what if your health failed...as a result you lost your job...had no healthcare insurance. Your savings and assests could soon be eaten up by medical costs. That's why so many of us believe that one day we will have to return to the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

That's the reason most people come here. I get paid very well as well. I work once a week as a free lance artist. I have a full time retail job in a high end boutique. That job supplements my part time job which actually pays more than my full time job. But, neither job offers health insurance. Private insurance is unaffordable. Everyone likes it here if they have the security of health insurance. What about you? Do you have health insurance?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

That's the reason most people come here. I get paid very well as well. I work once a week as a free lance artist. I have a full time retail job in a high end boutique. That job supplements my part time job which actually pays more than my full time job. But, neither job offers health insurance. Private insurance is unaffordable. Everyone likes it here if they have the security of health insurance. What about you? Do you have health insurance?
No I don't have insurance and yes I know I should, I can afford it but keep saying tomorrow tomorrow so many different plans out there and just never got around to it
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Heaven forbid but what if your health failed...as a result you lost your job...had no healthcare insurance. Your savings and assests could soon be eaten up by medical costs. That's why so many of us believe that one day we will have to return to the UK.
Don't talk that up Jersey I will cross that bridge if and when I come to it I am not going to live my life worrying about it..
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

To any expat, What advice would you give to anyone considering a permanent move to the US? Pros / Cons? If you had the opportunity to go back, would you go or stay? Why?
There are many great things about the US, and many bad things. There are many great things about my home country, and many bad things. So apart from all that, since it balances eachother basically, I would tell them to stay the heck where you are. Moving countries will forever uproot you, neither country will ever be exactly what you need (although at times it might seem that way), and you'll always end up missing people no matter where you live. So stay put if you can. Travel lots, but live in one country. Once you move you're forever living a life of wondering if you should stay or go. I'm definitely not an un-adventurous person, but moving countries should be outlawed. Unless you're within driving distance.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

To any expat, What advice would you give to anyone considering a permanent move to the US? Pros / Cons? If you had the opportunity to go back, would you go or stay? Why?
It's not that easy to answer. It would depend on your age, HEALTH and if you are single or coming with family, kids.

Getting a job may not be as easy as you think.

I found having had the same job in England for 15 years and working for the British Government meant ZERO when applying for a job here.

Even my brother who came over here to live who had a successful business in England who ignored my remarks, it took him a year to find a job
The is because he has always looked on me as the KID sister even though I'm in my 40's and so I know nothing in his eyes.

In my present situation I would love to get on a plane and go home

But, saying that I havn't been home for 14 years, who knows what I will find, as someone else said after a while you remember only the good things, which is good, but, then going back you can then have a rude awakening

One girl I know who had lived here for many years and then went back home, was there about a year and then came back again !

She said she now feels lost in both places, but, her kids knew the USA and came back. I think if you are single or without kids it can be easier to relocate to different countries in this case.

Biggest con is Health insurance in USA, it can strip you of everything if there is a major illness, that is the biggest thing I would say to think about before coming.

Elaine
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:06 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

So what's your opinion?
N/A
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:29 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Biggest con is Health insurance in USA, it can strip you of everything if there is a major illness, that is the biggest thing I would say to think about before coming.
Maybe it's because I'm a mid-thirties guy in good shape with a good job and good health coverage, but I'm always astonished at how big a deal healthcare is to you expats. Informally, I'll bet 30% of the threads on here are about concerns over US healthcare. Maybe it's that, growing up in America, you're aware the having good health coverage is an absolutely critical part of a job's compensation. It's also self-evident that healthcare's something you have to think about in all aspects of your finances as well, especially in retirement planning. I guess I could understand finding the system upsetting if one's used to being able to walk into any doctor's office anywhere for free. However, if you haven't grown up with that expectation, it's really not that distressing to know that you have to be able to whip out an insurance card. I can see that if you don't have insurance, it's a problem. The point is to avoid, at all costs, being in that situation. Moving to the US without good health insurance is clearly a really bad idea. It may change you career options and modify how you live your life, but that's the way things are here. To Americans, that's obvious. To Brits, it might not be.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 24th 2008 at 12:31 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:14 am
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe it's because I'm a mid-thirties guy in good shape with a good job and good health coverage, but I'm always astonished at how big a deal healthcare is to you expats. Informally, I'll bet 30% of the threads on here are about concerns over US healthcare. Maybe it's that, growing up in America, you're aware the having good health coverage is an absolutely critical part of a job's compensation. It's also self-evident that healthcare's something you have to think about in all aspects of your finances as well, especially in retirement planning. I guess I could understand finding the system upsetting if one's used to being able to walk into any doctor's office anywhere for free. However, if you haven't grown up with that expectation, it's really not that distressing to know that you have to be able to whip out an insurance card. I can see that if you don't have insurance, it's a problem. The point is to avoid, at all costs, being in that situation. Moving to the US without good health insurance is clearly a really bad idea. It may change you career options and modify how you live your life, but that's the way things are here. To Americans, that's obvious. To Brits, it might not be.
As a true American, do you consider yourself more or less free than your British "counterpart" under their NHS system?
Do you have more social liberty because the Govt isn't in control of your health care or do you have less because your vocation is guided and to an extent, limited by your need for health benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.