Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What advice would you give

Wikiposts

What advice would you give

Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What advice would you give

Originally Posted by ukelaine
It is a shock, been there, done that

It can be hard to make friends, usually the novelty of your accent can help

People WANT to talk to you to hear you speak !

I felt like a bloody monkey when I first came, people saying "Talk, say something else !"

Does he even want to go and live in UK ?

My paperwork got messed up and I couldn't work for the first SEVEN months I was here, I was climbing the walls with boredom !

I couldn't even find a job that paid under the table. I had worked all my life and having to sit around was horrible.

You may find if you can get involved with any Animal Rescue Organizations in your area, I'll bet you're find a BRIT !!

That's how I found some in my area. It seems Brits are drawn to animals no matter where they live.

Good Luck
Elaine
Yeah, the whole thing with the accent just wore thin very quickly, I don't like it when I'm out with my husband and I'm talking to him and people come up and butt in our conversation to drool over my accent, I don't feel comfortable with it because where I'm from no one does that to anyone. Regardless of where someone is from, to me it's just plain rude. It would be like going up to an Indian person in the UK and saying "ooh I love your accent" when all they want to do is fit in and be accepted as equal. Pretty heavy way of taking it I know, because they don't mean anything by it but I'm quite a private sort of person and I don't like that sort of attention. I don't give it all that to them though, I smile and I'm polite
Yes my husband would love to live in the UK, he talks about it often But it's money, we can't afford to go and live there at the moment, I'm not even working here yet. Believe it or not, although I probably come across as a cynical old bag, lol, I do love some things about America and I would love to give it a chance.
Where I'm not working at the moment, yep, boredom is setting in and making me miserable, I need to interact with people and it's hard to do that when you can't drive, you live out in the middle of nowhere (I'm not used to that, this place is similar to a village and I'm used to living in a big lively town), you don't know anyone, there's nothing to do and you don't have much money to do stuff even if there were things to do.
I just bear in mind that "all things shall pass"
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:08 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yeah, the whole thing with the accent just wore thin very quickly, I don't like it when I'm out with my husband and I'm talking to him and people come up and butt in our conversation to drool over my accent, I don't feel comfortable with it because where I'm from no one does that to anyone. Regardless of where someone is from, to me it's just plain rude. It would be like going up to an Indian person in the UK and saying "ooh I love your accent" when all they want to do is fit in and be accepted as equal. Pretty heavy way of taking it I know, because they don't mean anything by it but I'm quite a private sort of person and I don't like that sort of attention. I don't give it all that to them though, I smile and I'm polite
Yes my husband would love to live in the UK, he talks about it often
Must have heard it 1,342,857 times. At least.
Sometimes I have to force thru the mental exercise, thus:
"They haven't met anyone from England before. You are an oddity to them. They are interested and this is the first impression they may ever have of an Englishman"
Then they ask where I am from and I tell them I am from just down the road. Once they hear I've been here 482 years, they actually give up at that point as they suss that America isn't a mystery to me by now.

But I do allways try to remember that they may be actually interested and/or the accent actually is "lovable". Sh!t, we have a very flat and impassioned way of speaking. That bit I just do not get.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Emma M
Yes my husband would love to live in the UK, he talks about it often But it's money, we can't afford to go and live there at the moment, I'm not even working here yet. Believe it or not, although I probably come across as a cynical old bag, lol, I do love some things about America and I would love to give it a chance.
Where I'm not working at the moment, yep, boredom is setting in and making me miserable, I need to interact with people and it's hard to do that when you can't drive, you live out in the middle of nowhere (I'm not used to that, this place is similar to a village and I'm used to living in a big lively town), you don't know anyone, there's nothing to do and you don't have much money to do stuff even if there were things to do.
I just bear in mind that "all things shall pass"
Oh My God YOU CAN'T DRIVE !!!

Assuming you have a car, that's one thing your hubby needs to help you with.
Even though I had driven for years in England when I came here it took me a while to attempt the roads. I actually WALKED and it was mid summer, people would stop and see if i wanted a ride, as I was about the only person walking

I don't think it matters if you were in a big town or a village, it can be hard to interact in a new place, if you are not that type of person who can dive in and talk to people you don't know.

For a while we had it tough, my treat was to WALK and visit the several local Thrift Stores, at least I could buy a couple of things, just to DO something

But, it really wasn't until I was able to work did I make friends, but, even them it was hard as the work ethics were different to what I was used to. I was actual told off for working too fast !! LOL

That one blew my mind

Just try to make the most of relaxing, read a lot of books, cut coupons and even knit something. Once you are able to work, you will look back on the days you had NOTHING to do and wonder why you complained

Elaine
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Oh My God YOU CAN'T DRIVE !!!

Assuming you have a car, that's one thing your hubby needs to help you with.
Even though I had driven for years in England when I came here it took me a while to attempt the roads. I actually WALKED and it was mid summer, people would stop and see if i wanted a ride, as I was about the only person walking

I don't think it matters if you were in a big town or a village, it can be hard to interact in a new place, if you are not that type of person who can dive in and talk to people you don't know.

For a while we had it tough, my treat was to WALK and visit the several local Thrift Stores, at least I could buy a couple of things, just to DO something

But, it really wasn't until I was able to work did I make friends, but, even them it was hard as the work ethics were different to what I was used to. I was actual told off for working too fast !! LOL

That one blew my mind

Just try to make the most of relaxing, read a lot of books, cut coupons and even knit something. Once you are able to work, you will look back on the days you had NOTHING to do and wonder why you complained

Elaine
I did want to add, I didn't mean the driving comment in a nasty way

It's just that here EVERYONE drives, when I say my sister is in England and NEVER learnt to drive they look at me like my sister is from outer space

Here we have 90 year old people who shouldn't be driving Still on the roads. At least once or twice a month the News here reports about an older person, mistaking the accelerator for the brake and they have ended up in a store in their car !

You can't blame them in a way, as here without a car, who are stuck, unless you have someone to take you somewhere the transport system here is very bad.

Elaine
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

andourdogstoo! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sandra23
To any expat, What advice would you give to anyone considering a permanent move to the US? Pros / Cons? If you had the opportunity to go back, would you go or stay? Why?

Sandra,

I just happened to read your post and would like to offer my two cents. I am American married to a Brit and we both live in the US. I have read the numerous replies given to you, but would like to point out a few things.

As many have stated previously, one must have health insurance to live here. It isn't something one thinks of when one is young and healthy, but as one gets older it is necessary no matter where one lives. No matter where you go over here, whether it is to a doctor's office or a hospital, one of the first questions they ask you is do you have insurance.

Let's say you find a good job with great health insurance and other benefits. You are with them a few years and suddenly, you lose your job. Now what happens? Someone mentioned COBRA...do you know what that is? After your company lets you go, you have the option of keeping your health insurance with the same company and the same benefits, but you pay a higher premium out of pocket. You have 18 months to find a new job and get new insurance while being covered under COBRA. May be better to find a cheaper policy...

If you get seriously ill in the States, you have to get rid of all of your assets...including your home, before you can qualify for government help and then they pay for everything. As far as I know, no one who lives in the UK would ever lose their home due to illness! Grant it, this is the worst case scenario, but it is something no one ever mentions. Being extremely rich/poor is the way to go here.

A few years back, we were in Devon visiting family. I got sick. I paid nothing for the office visit to see the doctor and $9 for the medication. Last year, we were in France. Same thing...doctor's visit $10, medication $7....Spain, $15 for medication which would have cost $90 here!

I know a bit about the NHS since we have family in England...and having private insurance in the UK is the way to go if you can afford it...

All that being said, I would take living in the UK any day over living here.... Unfortunately, we cannot afford it, especially now since our money is not worth the paper it is printed on! However, we are seriously considering moving to France (or Spain) so if you really want to move here, we have a wonderful house you can buy

Another point. We live in the country and unless you have a car, you are stuck. America does not have the public transportation the UK has unless you live in or near a major city. There is a train to NY, but it is half an hour away...with no way to get there unless you drive. We have no cabs or bus system out here in the boonies and this is true of most rural places in America.

I can go on and on, but I think that is quite enough for now. May I ask why you are even considering moving? Come for visits...come for shopping trips! You can go anywhere for peanuts since the pound is so strong....but don't leave your home. My husband has lived here for 25 years and he is no more American than I am English....although I am an Anglophile and always will be!

Cheers,
Karen
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Karen!

Sandra has also lived in the US for many years (this is a rather long thread). She's originally from the UK.

You'll notice with time that a fair few folk here are not British (like me, American and married to a Dutch guy who's a regular here) and we get used to talking amongst ourselves knowing each other's situations.

At this point in time I'd generally caution anyone moving over from Europe about the health care issue and a few others . However, there are situations where the US can be the right place for someone. Many of the folks on the forum have searched (and some are still searching!) for where they want to live.

Hope this helps (and Devon is so lovely!),
Amy.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks...guess it will take me a bit to figure out who is who and where
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andourdogstoo!
Thanks...guess it will take me a bit to figure out who is who and where
Here's a shortcut: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509150

Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by andourdogstoo!
Sandra,

I just happened to read your post and would like to offer my two cents. I am American married to a Brit and we both live in the US. I have read the numerous replies given to you, but would like to point out a few things.

As many have stated previously, one must have health insurance to live here. It isn't something one thinks of when one is young and healthy, but as one gets older it is necessary no matter where one lives. No matter where you go over here, whether it is to a doctor's office or a hospital, one of the first questions they ask you is do you have insurance.

Let's say you find a good job with great health insurance and other benefits. You are with them a few years and suddenly, you lose your job. Now what happens? Someone mentioned COBRA...do you know what that is? After your company lets you go, you have the option of keeping your health insurance with the same company and the same benefits, but you pay a higher premium out of pocket. You have 18 months to find a new job and get new insurance while being covered under COBRA. May be better to find a cheaper policy...

If you get seriously ill in the States, you have to get rid of all of your assets...including your home, before you can qualify for government help and then they pay for everything. As far as I know, no one who lives in the UK would ever lose their home due to illness! Grant it, this is the worst case scenario, but it is something no one ever mentions. Being extremely rich/poor is the way to go here.

A few years back, we were in Devon visiting family. I got sick. I paid nothing for the office visit to see the doctor and $9 for the medication. Last year, we were in France. Same thing...doctor's visit $10, medication $7....Spain, $15 for medication which would have cost $90 here!

I know a bit about the NHS since we have family in England...and having private insurance in the UK is the way to go if you can afford it...

All that being said, I would take living in the UK any day over living here.... Unfortunately, we cannot afford it, especially now since our money is not worth the paper it is printed on! However, we are seriously considering moving to France (or Spain) so if you really want to move here, we have a wonderful house you can buy

Another point. We live in the country and unless you have a car, you are stuck. America does not have the public transportation the UK has unless you live in or near a major city. There is a train to NY, but it is half an hour away...with no way to get there unless you drive. We have no cabs or bus system out here in the boonies and this is true of most rural places in America.

I can go on and on, but I think that is quite enough for now. May I ask why you are even considering moving? Come for visits...come for shopping trips! You can go anywhere for peanuts since the pound is so strong....but don't leave your home. My husband has lived here for 25 years and he is no more American than I am English....although I am an Anglophile and always will be!

Cheers,
Karen
Moving back to the UK is more of a dream for me than a reslity at this point in my life. As I stated, if I had a secure job (if there is such a thing anymore), and a place to live, and a financial cusion, I would be on a plane tomorrow. It's a little easier to find ajob overseas if your in a line of work that is in high demand. A large corparation will cover your relocation costs. I however am an artist. I think many Brits that come here find that although the States offers many great opportunities, and endless employment choices, it's still not all it's cracked up to be. The quality of life here is not the same. I'ts fast paced, consumer driven, and doesn't offer a sence of security. Everything is fine if you have a job and health insurance but, if you lose that job and insurance it can set you back at least a year. When you apply for unemployment, a benefit that you pay taxes for, they make you feel like your begging for a hand out. The amount you receive nowhere covers the amount you earned. Yes, you can get COBRA but the payment is double of whatever you were paying while employed and your unemployment check is less than 3/4 of what you earned. As a single divorced mother, fotunately I've only gone throgh that twice in all the years I've been here. I work two jobs and it's always been that way for me. I no longer have my children to worry about but my sence of security is slim and my anxiety high. Neither of my jobs offer health insurance. A major illness right now would be a scary prospect as you can imagine. If I were in any other country in Europe, this would not be an issue for me. But I'm stuck here for now and have to make the best of it. I have to hope like most expats and Americans alike that with the election of a new President that there is change on the horizon. In the meanwhile I just keep working. I'm gathering a painting portfolio in hopes of landing a retail art contract with a company that retails internationally. If things work out, it would give me the freedom to live anywhere I choose. Wish me luck.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra23
Moving back to the UK is more of a dream for me than a reslity at this point in my life. As I stated, if I had a secure job (if there is such a thing anymore), and a place to live, and a financial cusion, I would be on a plane tomorrow. It's a little easier to find ajob overseas if your in a line of work that is in high demand. A large corparation will cover your relocation costs. I however am an artist. I think many Brits that come here find that although the States offers many great opportunities, and endless employment choices, it's still not all it's cracked up to be. The quality of life here is not the same. I'ts fast paced, consumer driven, and doesn't offer a sence of security. Everything is fine if you have a job and health insurance but, if you lose that job and insurance it can set you back at least a year. When you apply for unemployment, a benefit that you pay taxes for, they make you feel like your begging for a hand out. The amount you receive nowhere covers the amount you earned. Yes, you can get COBRA but the payment is double of whatever you were paying while employed and your unemployment check is less than 3/4 of what you earned. As a single divorced mother, fotunately I've only gone throgh that twice in all the years I've been here. I work two jobs and it's always been that way for me. I no longer have my children to worry about but my sence of security is slim and my anxiety high. Neither of my jobs offer health insurance. A major illness right now would be a scary prospect as you can imagine. If I were in any other country in Europe, this would not be an issue for me. But I'm stuck here for now and have to make the best of it. I have to hope like most expats and Americans alike that with the election of a new President that there is change on the horizon. In the meanwhile I just keep working. I'm gathering a painting portfolio in hopes of landing a retail art contract with a company that retails internationally. If things work out, it would give me the freedom to live anywhere I choose. Wish me luck.
Good luck
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Sandra,
What type of an artist are you? Do paint, sculpt, make jewelry? If you paint, have you ever looked into having limited editions of your painting made? I have no idea of the cost, but it is something my husband once discussed with another artist.
Best of luck with your new endeavor. And yes, I agree with you. How I would love to live in England
Cheers,
Karen