Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What advice would you give

Wikiposts

What advice would you give

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Sandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really niceSandra23 is just really nice
Default Re: What advice would you give

Originally Posted by simongb
'True American'?? I'm a American, but I was born in the UK. Am I true? I don't know (I don't carry a gun or vote Republican...). I only know that this country needs to take care of the millions that go without healthcare. Saying that both systems have problems is true, however, I would rather have the NHS with all its faults than nothing at all.
I TOTALLY AGREE
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:14 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Aye, I've spent many a long time being, shall we say, cautious around female friends because I just didn't want the added complication ... on hindsight, dumb ... but now my intent is to go back to the US I'm doing it again. Luckily, so far women aren't throwing themselves at me ...
Hopefully, this will be the last move, eh?
Any idea which part? N,S,E orW?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm probably not expressing myself in the way I mean. But what I am trying to say is that when you meet someone from outside of your everyday world, and you decide to start a relationship, there comes a point when you have to make the decision to pursue it or not based on what it could mean for your future. If your home life is so great that you will be miserable living anywhere else, why would you then go on to allow yourself to fall in love with that person if it means leaving behind a life that you can't live without? I know you can't help who you fall in love with, but falling in love takes time and you have to decide to put yourself in that position to start with. It doesn't just happen to you.
You also don't know what you'll be giving up or not without trying....
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:51 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You also don't know what you'll be giving up or not without trying....
Which is why so many of us are on this side of the pond.
I'd hazard a guess that many have gone thru the "well, if? then, maybe, or not. Oh, sod it, lets go!" experience.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Which is why so many of us are on this side of the pond.
I'd hazard a guess that many have gone thru the "well, if? then, maybe, or not. Oh, sod it, lets go!" experience.
Absolutely
I was single, good job, but, boring. Realtionship wise my life sucked and I'd met a man I loved and he just happened to live in a WARM place.
The biggest part was leaving my mum and then I THOUGHT, well, what the heck I can just jump on a plane and come home a few times a year, little did I know.
Now, seperated with 2 kids, life is ok, but, not quite how I wanted to be at this stage of my life and in another country.
Hopefully if I can get home and stay a while and then see, where I would like to be.

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:13 am
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Absolutely
I was single, good job, but, boring. Realtionship wise my life sucked and I'd met a man I loved and he just happened to live in a WARM place.
The biggest part was leaving my mum and then I THOUGHT, well, what the heck I can just jump on a plane and come home a few times a year, little did I know.
Now, seperated with 2 kids, life is ok, but, not quite how I wanted to be at this stage of my life and in another country.
Hopefully if I can get home and stay a while and then see, where I would like to be.
Elaine
Most of the people I still am in touch with back home feel the same way (well, the first part of your comment). Maybe we are more prone to that wandering thought path because we are just that; in another country.

I find Dunroving's posts very informative. Not having ping-ponged myself, he does paint a scary picture of what it can be like.

Perhaps the "dynamics" really have to align themselves for a return home. If they do, I guess the way is pretty clearly illuminated. Otherwise you might be forcing the change.

You are living in a very wierd part of the country . Have you travelled around the US much?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
If you decided to move back to the UK, would you be allowed to take the kids with you?

I can't remove the kids from this county, so I'm putting off trying to find the perfect place for me, until the youngest is 18.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Most of the people I still am in touch with back home feel the same way (well, the first part of your comment). Maybe we are more prone to that wandering thought path because we are just that; in another country.

I find Dunroving's posts very informative. Not having ping-ponged myself, he does paint a scary picture of what it can be like.

Perhaps the "dynamics" really have to align themselves for a return home. If they do, I guess the way is pretty clearly illuminated. Otherwise you might be forcing the change.

You are living in a very wierd part of the country . Have you travelled around the US much?
I think Brits may tend to GO FOR IT more than others, as many of us have grown up going AWAY to other Countries for Holidays and the other Countries we go to are fairly close. We forget that Holidays and Living in another Country is not quite the same, until we take the plunge and then think OH SHITE !
It's not that we are grossly Rich, (for the Americans reading this), but you can get on a plane and be in another Country in a couple of hours and off season prices used to be REALLY cheap.
I USED to go abroad 2-3 a year, visited several of the European Countries and spend a couple of weeks in each.

So maybe we think how hard can it be living in another Country ? Until we actually do it and then some have no problems and others spend a few months or even years thinking What Did I do !! LOL

I've been to Los Angeles and Las Vegas, that's it. So I have led a sheltered for 20 years here in California. We never did go on a Vacation that meant being away from the home longer than maybe 2 days.

But, then again, I am lucky that weather is kind to us here. Warm enough to sit on the beach some years at Xmas. Seldom rains, seldom gloomy, probably why so many people are so bloody PEPPY all the time, well, that or they are High ! LOL

But if you want to come to America and be homesick, I'd go for California, at least you can go lay on the beach and get a tan (or skin cancer) while you are debating if you made a mistake or not

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you decided to move back to the UK, would you be allowed to take the kids with you?

I can't remove the kids from this county, so I'm putting off trying to find the perfect place for me, until the youngest is 18.
I THINK if it comes down to it, it would be up to the kids and we as the parents would go with their decision.
Which is easy to say, but, if I could deal with it, is another thing.

I wouldn't want to make them go and I don't think husband would make them stay.

But, it could turn ugly and then I'd have to rethink everything.

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

If I could get a job in the UK that would pay all my living expenses, I would be gone tomorrow. I look every day online (the Guardian, monster, TES), but it is so hard from here to find anything. Does anyone know of any good websites that have jobs for people looking from overseas (I am a school counselor)?? I don't mean to highjack this thread, sorry!

Last edited by simongb; Jan 25th 2008 at 10:30 am. Reason: Thread highjacking.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
If I could get a job in the UK that would pay all my living expenses, I would be gone tomorrow. I look every day online (the Guardian, monster, TES), but it is so hard from here to find anything. Does anyone know of any good websites that have jobs for people looking from overseas (I am a school counselor)?? I don't mean to highjack this thread, sorry!
You might find something in FE at http://www.jobs.ac.uk/
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:04 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, this will be the last move, eh?
Any idea which part? N,S,E orW?
Hopefully, yes, and yes, the idea is to stay in the Southeast.

Probably the biggest number one reason I see people on here cite for "returning" to wherever is family. Well, I don't have much immediate family, although the little I do have I am very close to. But I have many, many extended "family" and friends in the Southeast US, both in my personal life and professional life. So, the Southeast is where I feel home. If I could specifically get back to middle Tennessee it'd be better still. They are the friendliest, eatingest (their word) people I ever met.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm probably not expressing myself in the way I mean. But what I am trying to say is that when you meet someone from outside of your everyday world, and you decide to start a relationship, there comes a point when you have to make the decision to pursue it or not based on what it could mean for your future. If your home life is so great that you will be miserable living anywhere else, why would you then go on to allow yourself to fall in love with that person if it means leaving behind a life that you can't live without? I know you can't help who you fall in love with, but falling in love takes time and you have to decide to put yourself in that position to start with. It doesn't just happen to you.
Personally speaking, I categorically disagree with that statement, and I don't think most people "plan" emotions in that way either. And then, as Bob says, I dont think most can or do foresee what the consequences might be.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Personally speaking, I categorically disagree with that statement, and I don't think most people "plan" emotions in that way either. And then, as Bob says, I dont think most can or do foresee what the consequences might be.
You probably don't realise that you would be miserable living somewhere else at that point.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You probably don't realise that you would be miserable living somewhere else at that point.
Too right, I had no idea I could hate being anywhere as much as I did when I was stuck out there. Never realised how good I had it

One might call it very stupid to go and live somewhere you've never seen .. but at the time both of our employment situations allowed no other option.

I also had a very homesick American painting a very rose tinted picture of life back in the good ole US of A. I've never seen him more depressed than he was in that 9 months of being in VA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.