We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

Old May 23rd 2015, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

homelover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

Hi all
This is our first post on this forum.
We are heading towards retirement next year and would like to buy a nice house in the USA where we could spend about 5 months of the year there and let our family and friends use it the rest of the time.
We have been to California many times and like it there but Florida also appeals. We do not really want to go to a retirement compound .
What we would like is , good weather , not too far from water which could be the sea , lakes or rivers . A house with at least two bedrooms and bathrooms, small swimming pool , quite location as we do not need to be near golf courses , amusement parks et al.
Looking forward to some suggestions.
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

Originally Posted by homelover
Hi all
This is our first post on this forum.
We are heading towards retirement next year and would like to buy a nice house in the USA where we could spend about 5 months of the year there and let our family and friends use it the rest of the time.
We have been to California many times and like it there but Florida also appeals. We do not really want to go to a retirement compound .
What we would like is , good weather , not too far from water which could be the sea , lakes or rivers . A house with at least two bedrooms and bathrooms, small swimming pool , quite location as we do not need to be near golf courses , amusement parks et al.
Looking forward to some suggestions.
Sounds like Florida to me. California I think is a lot more expensive. Depends on your budget. I personally prefer CA over FL because I can't stand that much humidity.

Rene
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:45 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your after something on the West coast of Florida. The Gulf of Mexico side.
Nice property's along the lines you mentioned. N or S of Tampa I would guess. Stay near to a international airport. Having to fly into a alley airport gets very expensive.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Cheers, I note that most people from outside the USA always think of CA and FL , are there other places we should be looking at ?
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

North Carolina, certainly the consensus on here is it the place to go.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
North Carolina, certainly the consensus on here is it the place to go.
Anywhere from Virginia south to Florida and west to Louisiana could fit the bill on paper, but honestly, objectively, how many friends and relatives do you have that have the time and money to come back to the same little house in rural SE USA? I am reasonably certain than the novelty of the house will wear very thin with most people after two years/ visits.

For use, accessibilty and attractiveness you would be much better served with a house in Spain or Italy. ..... I have lived here (SE USA) for 12 years, and vacations here aren't much (limited attractions and activities, and virtually no history/ culture) yet I actually would, if it wasn't for the distance, take a holiday every year in Italy.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 23rd 2015 at 5:54 pm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Anywhere from Virginia south to Florida and West to Louisiana could fit the bill on paper, but honestly, objectively, how many friends and relatives do you have that have the time and money to come back to the same little house in rural SE USA? I am reasonably certain than the novelty of the house will wear very thin with most people after two years/ visits.

For use, accessibilty and attractiveness you would be much better served with a house in Spain or Italy. ..... I have lived here (SE USA) for 12 years, and vacations here aren't much (limited attractions and activities, and virtually no history/ culture) yet I actually would, if it wasn't for the distance, take a holiday every year in Italy.
Pulaski , really appreciate you taking time to respond to my post. We have looked everywhere from Tenerife , France , TRNC , Portugal and yes Italy ( which we love) , we like visiting the US as do most of our family and friends . We like the fact that it is English speaking , relatively easy to buy property and many other pros. To be honest we have actually polled the family members and they all would like us to find a home in the US
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of budget do you have?

California is going to be expensive but, if you don't mind being quite a long way from major cities (and, unfortunately, international airports) then there is about 300 miles of California between Santa Rosa and the Oregon border that is going to cost a lot less than the major centers of population.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

There are places to retire to in California that aren't Palm Springs.

Access to 'lakes and rivers' prohibits Southern California from the list.

Northern California is an excellent shout. I would also highlight some of the small towns littered throughout the Sierra Nevada mountains, some of which are out of this world, although could get a bit chilly in winter for the old bones.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone going to mention the pitfalls of owning a holiday home in the U.S?

OP it seems everyman and his dog wishes to live or have a holiday home in Florida. There are major factors for you to consider. There have been dozens of threads on this subject...I suggest you either read back through the thread titles or use BE's search function to locate them.
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is anyone going to mention the pitfalls of owning a holiday home in the U.S?

OP it seems everyman and his dog wishes to live or have a holiday home in Florida. There are major factors for you to consider. There have been dozens of threads on this subject...I suggest you either read back through the thread titles or use BE's search function to locate them.
Jerseygirl , thanks for the reality check and guess what ...everyman has a dog which must be included into any discussion of course. Can you give us a couple of links to the aforementioned pitfalls please ?
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have lived here (SE USA) for 12 years, and vacations here aren't much (limited attractions and activities, and virtually no history/ culture) yet I actually would, if it wasn't for the distance, take a holiday every year in Italy.
I have to admit to being at a loss regarding the frequent statements on this forum that the US is lacking in history and/or culture. The study of the Civil War alone could keep one going for years (my RAF WingCo uncle spent a long holiday here visiting related sites and found it fascinating), then there is the great trek west, the dust bowl, to say nothing of the story of the Native Americans. The country is full of amazing world-class museums, historical homes -- including the kind that would be termed "stately" in the UK -- and botanical gardens. Plus, there is every cuisine under the sun. Surely, something for everyone.
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl , thanks for the reality check and guess what ...everyman has a dog which must be included into any discussion of course. Can you give us a couple of links to the aforementioned pitfalls please ?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...lorida-857694/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post11652762

Sorry I'm short on time today. If you go to the top of this page you will see 'search' in the buff coloured bar. Choose search threads and insert the word Florida. For a wider search...search all posts.
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...lorida-857694/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post11652762

Sorry I'm short on time today. If you go to the top of this page you will see 'search' in the buff coloured bar. Go to Advanced Search. Choose search threads and insert the word Florida. For a wider search...search all posts.
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have to admit to being at a loss regarding the frequent statements on this forum that the US is lacking in history and/or culture. The study of the Civil War alone could keep one going for years (my RAF WingCo uncle spent a long holiday here visiting related sites and found it fascinating), then there is the great trek west, the dust bowl, to say nothing of the story of the Native Americans. The country is full of amazing world-class museums, historical homes -- including the kind that would be termed "stately" in the UK -- and botanical gardens. Plus, there is every cuisine under the sun. Surely, something for everyone.
and the Mouse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.