Reload this Page >

a few questions about orlando/florida

a few questions about orlando/florida

Old May 18th 2015, 10:57 am
Just Joined

a_hobden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a few questions about orlando/florida

Good morning guys

I have a few questions I hope some of you many be able to help me on regards living/working in orlando/florida. A little about myself that may help with or influence your answers, im 29 single male with no kids and will be living in the Orlando area but travelling around the whole of Florida.

1- My salary will be approx. $70-75k. Is this a decent enough salary for me to afford rent in a decent area and pay all bills etc and not be scrimping every month? also how will this be taxed?

2- I will be getting a car allowance of between $700-$800 dollars per month, will this be enough to cover insurance and payments on a decent car? I have a BMW 320d in the uk and would like similar in the usa. also is this payment taxed different then wages?

3- health care will be provided by the company, is there anything extra I would need like dental etc??

I'm sure once I look over things more I will come up with more questions but for now any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old May 18th 2015, 12:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a few questions about orlando/florida

Just a basic question from me. What visa will you have?

Rene
Old May 18th 2015, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene

it would be an L1 visa
Old May 18th 2015, 12:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_hobden
Hi Rene

it would be an L1 visa
OK, good. I know that was the first question you'd be asked. Others will be along to help with the FL questions.

Rene
Old May 18th 2015, 1:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Healthcare will be provided" ..... Really? Entirely? Usually the employee has to pay part of the premium. That said the insurance premium is only the start - when you use medical services there are "copays" (point of access charges, usually around $25-$30, sometimes a little less), and deductibles (Brit-speak "excess" - the bit you pay before the insurance kicks in).

As you have, I assume, no US credit history, getting any car will be a challenge, not impossible, but be prepared for some interesting discussions and being turned away by some dealers. Certainly I wouldn't expect to walk into a BMW dealer and drive out with a shiny new BMW an hour later.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2015 at 1:34 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Healthcare will be provided" ..... Really? Entirely? Usually the employee has to pay part of the premium. That said the insurance premium is only the start - when you use medical services there are "copays" (point of access charges, usually around $25-$30, sometimes a little less), and deductibles (Brit-speak "excess" - the bit you pay before the insurance kicks in)
Hi thanks for the reply, yes entirely provided, it was something I insisted on

thanks
Old May 18th 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for the reply, yes entirely provided, it was something I insisted on

thanks
Read the small print. The company may be paying the whole premium for you, but I'll bet dollars to donuts you will be responsible for some associated costs. There WILL be a co-pay for doctor's visits and some kind of deductible before everything kicks in. This is standard and, to my knowledge, not something you can avoid (unless the premiums are prohibitively expensive!).

As for a car, it sounds like your company is sending people over on a relatively regular basis, so may have an 'in' for car leasing/purchase. For $7-800 a month, you may even be able to rent a car (which would include maintenance and insurance), but if you want something more permanent, it may be a stretch for a BMW.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Read the small print. The company may be paying the whole premium for you, but I'll bet dollars to donuts you will be responsible for some associated costs. There WILL be a co-pay for doctor's visits and some kind of deductible before everything kicks in. This is standard and, to my knowledge, not something you can avoid (unless the premiums are prohibitively expensive!).

As for a car, it sounds like your company is sending people over on a relatively regular basis, so may have an 'in' for car leasing/purchase. For $7-800 a month, you may even be able to rent a car (which would include maintenance and insurance), but if you want something more permanent, it may be a stretch for a BMW.
thanks for the heads up, i'll read everything very carefully so I know exactly what is and isn't covered. Also thanks for the heads up re the car, its not the be all and end all but I will be spending a lot of time travelling/driving so would like something nice
Old May 18th 2015, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

International Auto Source is often recommended here for ex-pats needing a car from the get go. Not used them myself but most folks who mention them seem to like them.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
International Auto Source is often recommended here for ex-pats needing a car from the get go. Not used them myself but most folks who mention them seem to like them.
I used them and recommend them highly and frequently, but mostly they broker domestic brands. That said domestic brands are much improved and are much better than the reputation American cars had for being Yank-tanks. Try looking at a Lincoln MK-Z?
Old May 18th 2015, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I will take a look at them now. A domestic brand would be fine, I had the new mustang for 2 weeks while over in December and quite liked that!
Old May 18th 2015, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Some L1s do get everything provided. I was amazed.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:14 pm

Thank you, I will take a look at them now. A domestic brand would be fine, I had the new mustang for 2 weeks while over in December and quite liked that!
I bought a Mustang GT through IA back in 2001. I still have it.

The new Mustang looks very nice and I would like to add one to my garage.

As an aside, if you're in any sort of sales, marketing, or customer service role, driving a domestic car might be seen as a plus.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Some L1s do get everything provided. I was amazed.
Yeah, it's not unheard of in a true "expat package", even if it means taking the copays and deductibles and charging them back through an expense account.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 18th 2015 at 2:19 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I got a Mustang GT through IA back in 2001. I still have it.

The new Mustang looks very nice and I would like to add one to my garage.

As an aside, if you're in any sort of sales, marketing, or customer service role, driving a domestic car might be seen as a plus.
I loved it, and would be more then happy to spend my own money on one in the future. the air-conditioned seats where a very nice touch!

my job is sales (construction industry) so if a domestic car will help I have no problem with that, thanks for the advice.
Old May 18th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

the air-conditioned seats were a very nice touch!
How does that work then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.