Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

Old May 26th 2015, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want to buy a holiday home in the USA

We live outside Tampa, Fl on the beach side. It has all the things you mentioned but the thing that we really appreciate is that Tampa airport has direct flights to London...it makes it easy to get back and forth to the UK. We lived in Southern Virginia before and had to use washington Dc airport which was a 3 1/2 hour drive away. I love the convienience of a good airport! However, if proximity to an airport isn't important there are some lovely places on the SE coast. Charleston, Sc is wonderful...has lots of history, culture and nice beaches. Myrtle beach is also fairly popular....
Old May 26th 2015, 5:01 am
Just Joined

homelover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
We live outside Tampa, Fl on the beach side. It has all the things you mentioned but the thing that we really appreciate is that Tampa airport has direct flights to London...it makes it easy to get back and forth to the UK. We lived in Southern Virginia before and had to use washington Dc airport which was a 3 1/2 hour drive away. I love the convienience of a good airport! However, if proximity to an airport isn't important there are some lovely places on the SE coast. Charleston, Sc is wonderful...has lots of history, culture and nice beaches. Myrtle beach is also fairly popular....
Many thanks , will look up those places as well.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
..... Myrtle beach is also fairly popular....
As quaint and picturesque as Blackpool.
Originally Posted by homelover
..... To be honest we have actually polled the family members and they all would like us to find a home in the US. ...
I would too if someone else was paying, but I'll eat my hat if most of them don’t tire of it after a couple of years.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 26th 2015 at 9:31 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have to admit to being at a loss regarding the frequent statements on this forum that the US is lacking in history and/or culture. The study of the Civil War alone could keep one going for years (my RAF WingCo uncle spent a long holiday here visiting related sites and found it fascinating), then there is the great trek west, the dust bowl, to say nothing of the story of the Native Americans. The country is full of amazing world-class museums, historical homes -- including the kind that would be termed "stately" in the UK -- and botanical gardens. Plus, there is every cuisine under the sun. Surely, something for everyone.
There is nothing in the US of any consequence that is more than 250 years old, and in terms of historical significance everything either relates to the War of Independence or the Civil War, and most of the "sites" related to either are fields, which might have historical significance, but quickly become a bit samey.

Perhaps as great a "problem" is the distance over which everything is spread in the US. In few days in Britain you can visit Stone Henge, Roman remains, a variety of medieval castles and stately homes, and spend time in London without ever driving more than 100 miles. A similar variety of attractions is also often compressed into similarly small areas in Europe. Outside of NY and DC you would be hard pushed to find two or three such "world class" attractions and I would argue, given the relatively short history of the US, completely impossible to find the same depth or variety of attractions. ..... I believe that the US vacation phenomenon of "the road trip" is a result of the distance between sites of significance and interest.

So far as museums go, sure the US has them, but after being used to seeing cases of medieval weapons or whole collections of other artifacts predating 1750, in museums in the UK, and galleries choc full of old masters and impressionists, or stately homes full of ancient furniture and pictures of a similar age and/or historic significance, most US museums, especially outside of NY and DC, pale into insignificance. I only know of one house in the US that I would call "stately" (Biltmore), and that is a blatant knock-off, in setting and scale, of arguably the greatest stately home in Britain.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 26th 2015 at 9:56 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 1:38 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
North Carolina, certainly the consensus on here is it the place to go.
Yep, I would second that. Much preferred the lifestyle there.
Old May 26th 2015, 2:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is nothing in the US of any consequence that is more than 250 years old, and in terms of historical significance everything either relates to the War of Independence or the Civil War, and most of the "sites" related to either are fields, which might have historical significance, but quickly become a bit samey.

Perhaps as great a "problem" is the distance over which everything is spread in the US. In few days in Britain you can visit Stone Henge, Roman remains, a variety of medieval castles and stately homes, and spend time in London without ever driving more than 100 miles. A similar variety of attractions is also often compressed into similarly small areas in Europe. Outside of NY and DC you would be hard pushed to find two or three such "world class" attractions and I would argue, given the relatively short history of the US, completely impossible to find the same depth or variety of attractions. ..... I believe that the US vacation phenomenon of "the road trip" is a result of the distance between sites of significance and interest.

So far as museums go, sure the US has them, but after being used to seeing cases of medieval weapons or whole collections of other artifacts predating 1750, in museums in the UK, and galleries choc full of old masters and impressionists, or stately homes full of ancient furniture and pictures of a similar age and/or historic significance, most US museums, especially outside of NY and DC, pale into insignificance. I only know of one house in the US that I would call "stately" (Biltmore), and that is a blatant knock-off, in setting and scale, of arguably the greatest stately home in Britain.
The US has packed a lot of history into those 250 years! But I do agree that the distances pose a problem. There are interesting houses all over -- San Simeon, Winterthur, the "summer cottages" of Newport -- and they don't have to be large to be of note; my favorite is the Custis-Lee House at Arlington. Likewise art doesn't have to be centuries or decades old to be interesting -- there's been a lot of art created since the impressionists, including specifically American movements, and there are wonderful, diverse collections throughout the US -- the High in Atlanta, Walker in Minneapolis, SITE Santa Fe, as just a few examples. There may not be the same kind of history and museums as in the UK, but there is no shortage of things to see. (In fact, the BBC website and UK newspapers have been writing about the Frida Kahlo exhibition at the NY Botanical Garden for the last few days.)

My small town in CT has a contemporary art museum, a colonial museum in an old tavern, a national historic site artists' colony -- oh, and Keith Richards propping up the bar at his nephew's restaurant at lunch time. How's that for a historical artifact!
Old May 26th 2015, 2:18 pm

The US has packed a lot of history into those 250 years! But I do agree that the distances pose a problem. There are interesting houses all over -- San Simeon, Winterthur, the "summer cottages" of Newport -- and they don't have to be large to be of note; my favorite is the Custis-Lee House at Arlington. Likewise art doesn't have to be centuries or decades old to be interesting -- there's been a lot of art created since the impressionists, including specifically American movements, and there are wonderful, diverse collections throughout the US -- the High in Atlanta, Walker in Minneapolis, SITE Santa Fe, as just a few examples. There may not be the same kind of history and museums as in the UK, but there is no shortage of things to see. (In fact, the BBC website and UK newspapers have been writing about the Frida Kahlo exhibition at the NY Botanical Garden for the last few days.)

My small town in CT has a contemporary art museum, a colonial museum in an old tavern, a national historic site artists' colony -- oh, and Keith Richards propping up the bar at his nephew's restaurant at lunch time. How's that for a historical artifact! ....
All that, and a living fossil.
Old May 26th 2015, 3:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Old May 26th 2015, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That does not look like North Carolina.
Old May 26th 2015, 3:49 pm

It looks old, but what is its significance?
Old May 26th 2015, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Colorado has the same thing, but them I used to go to a pub from the same era.
Old May 26th 2015, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit to being at a loss regarding the frequent statements on this forum that the US is lacking in history.

Well (and better) said (by you rather than by me )!

Furthermore equating historic significance with age alone denotes a blinkered and thoroughly trivial perspective.

In any case OP said they're looking to find a retirement get-away in a quiet location - not proximity to ancient sites.
Old May 26th 2015, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit to being at a loss regarding the frequent statements on this forum that the US is lacking in history and/or culture.
Well, if Pulaski hasn't heard of it what's the point?
Old May 26th 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD
.... Furthermore equating historic significance with age alone edenotes a blinkered and thoroughly trivial perspective. .....
Either works - ancient or significant. ..... I would also add interesting - such as folk, farm, or industrial museums, which can be very interesting. But merely traipsing round a not-very-old house, with no interesting artifacts/ exhibits/architecture, and of no historic significance seems a bit pointless.
.... In any case OP said they're looking to find a retirement get-away in a quiet location - not proximity to ancient sites.
They specifically said they expected family members to visit the house on a recurring basis into the indefinite future. So the point was that merely a house in Podunk might not have any enduring appeal after the novelty wears off.
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Well, if Pulaski hasn't heard of it what's the point?
Well this is a first. I appear to be being criticized for not being sufficiently positive about America.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 26th 2015 at 5:18 pm.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for outdoors stuff to do during the summer and place that'll rent easily in the winter, check out a ski resort mountain.

Sugarloaf up in Maine, pretty cheap places to be found and folks have no problems renting them out during winter.

Golf during the summer and all the stuff on the rivers and lakes.

Plenty of other mountain resorts in NH that are worth a look too.