Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:10 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Re: We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

I hope so (fingers crossed) been such a long time since I took mine
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
You know it is possible that I could organize a bonfire night, I have the land the wood and a mate of mine is into fireworks, ( we can get small ones ).

The only problem is , I am really out in the boonies, ( 3 hours from San Francisco ), beautiful country though.

Anyway give me your thoughts and I'll try to make a guy, for the occasion
Don't forget to check out your local "burn" laws -- I wanted to do this and at my last home had to get a permit to even burn garden waste on my own property!
Old Oct 10th 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
Hi

The things we really need to get sorted are taking our motorcycle and driving tests again and buying a bike and car. Complete nightmare not having transport.
We are in Orange County and the driving tests were easy but the motorcycle one is weird. Not sure if it is the same in SF. The test here is to drive around in the DMV parking lot very slowly in a tight circle without your feet touching the ground! Depending on what kind of motorcycle you drive it is not very easy. Hubby rides an Aprilia Tuono Factory and it is not meant to be driven slowly (according to him anyways)
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Unless someone has experience of taking their driving test in San Francisco and can tell you it is ok, I'd set up an appointment in Marin County or the peninsula.

I'd worry that they may have you drive and park on the hills (make sure you wheels are pointed the right direction when parking) and in crowded streets since that is what happens in San Francisco.

In the suburbs, they won't give you a difficult route to drive or park.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Unless someone has experience of taking their driving test in San Francisco and can tell you it is ok, I'd set up an appointment in Marin County or the peninsula.
I'd worry that they may have you drive and park on the hills (make sure you wheels are pointed the right direction when parking) and in crowded streets since that is what happens in San Francisco.

I second that - I would do your test at the Corte Madera DMV in Marin.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We are in Orange County and the driving tests were easy but the motorcycle one is weird. Not sure if it is the same in SF. The test here is to drive around in the DMV parking lot very slowly in a tight circle without your feet touching the ground! Depending on what kind of motorcycle you drive it is not very easy. Hubby rides an Aprilia Tuono Factory and it is not meant to be driven slowly (according to him anyways)
It's the same up here also.

I may borrow a smaller bike to take the test, I have a Triumph Trident 900, I would have a hard time staying in the circle and not putting my foot down.

I don't think you need a bike licence though, if you aren't going on the freeways and you don't carry a passenger.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:05 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same up here also.

I may borrow a smaller bike to take the test, I have a Triumph Trident 900, I would have a hard time staying in the circle and not putting my foot down.

I don't think you need a bike licence though, if you aren't going on the freeways and you don't carry a passenger.
Where did you get that from?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Where did you get that from?
DMV Website http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/motorcycle-license.php

You do need to get a learners permit though.....

With your motorcycle learner's permit, you may practice driving a motorcycle. However, you are not allowed to:

* Drive your motorcycle at night.

* Drive your motorcycle on the freeway.

* Carry any passengers on your motorcycle.

Your $28 learner's permit application fee will be good for one year. You may take the written and skills tests three times. If your application expires before you pass the tests and are issued a license, you must start the application process all over.

Last edited by coastieexpat; Oct 11th 2010 at 12:23 am.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
I hope so (fingers crossed) been such a long time since I took mine
we took our tests at the San Mateo DMV, compared to the UK test it was really easy

We had a rental car that we were going to take our test in, then we ended up buying a car on the Saturday, and returned the rental car and sat our tests on the Tuesday
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:04 am
Democracy advocate

DMV Website http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/motorcycle-license.php

You do need to get a learners permit though.....

With your motorcycle learner's permit, you may practice driving a motorcycle. However, you are not allowed to:

* Drive your motorcycle at night.

* Drive your motorcycle on the freeway.

* Carry any passengers on your motorcycle.

Your $28 learner's permit application fee will be good for one year. You may take the written and skills tests three times. If your application expires before you pass the tests and are issued a license, you must start the application process all over.
I see, I thought you were suggesting that you didn't need a licence at all if no freeways/passengers, rather than a temp period on a learners permit.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael

I second that - I would do your test at the Corte Madera DMV in Marin.
I third it also. Not only will the actual drive be less challenging (San Francisco is a crowded, challenging place to drive), but the actual DMV experience is likely to be much, much nicer/easier. The DMV I went to in SF was in a pretty bad neighborhood ... it should be eaiser to get an appointment in a nice boring suburb.

Don't underestimate the challenge of the written test; yes, the driving part is only 10% of the difficulty of the UK test (circa 30 years ago, anyway!) but you do have to answer a bunch of questions of a rather tedious nature ... what is the shortest stopping distance when traveling at ... MPH? I know how to drive safely, but I don't know the answers to these questions in feet ... so do read the book a few times ahead of the test (not just while waiting in line, like I did!). if in doubt answer on the 'safe' side for any question you are not sure about; I got several wrong but she said 'you are obviously a safe driver so let me ask you a few more questions...'
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I see, I thought you were suggesting that you didn't need a licence at all if no freeways/passengers, rather than a temp period on a learners permit.
I am not certain, but I think you can renew the learners permit each year.

Of course it would make much more sense to just take the test, but it does give you a bit of leeway, albeit with restrictions.

I am still on a learners permit, but that's because I live in rural area, with no freeways, and the DMV is a 100 mile round trip.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:46 am

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
we took our tests at the San Mateo DMV, compared to the UK test it was really easy

We had a rental car that we were going to take our test in, then we ended up buying a car on the Saturday, and returned the rental car and sat our tests on the Tuesday
Hi

We were in Burlingame on Saturday looking at cars
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:49 am

We have full UK car and bike Licence I'm going to look at a bike on Friday. We can get insurance for the bike on our UK licence will this be ok until we take the test (In a very quite place if possible).

Thanks very much for all the useful info I have downloaded the info (like our highway code booklet).
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't underestimate the challenge of the written test; yes, the driving part is only 10% of the difficulty of the UK test (circa 30 years ago, anyway!) but you do have to answer a bunch of questions of a rather tedious nature ... what is the shortest stopping distance when traveling at ... MPH? I know how to drive safely, but I don't know the answers to these questions in feet ... so do read the book a few times ahead of the test (not just while waiting in line, like I did!). if in doubt answer on the 'safe' side for any question you are not sure about; I got several wrong but she said 'you are obviously a safe driver so let me ask you a few more questions...'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.