Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:13 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Re: We leave in three days for a new life in San Francisco

Originally Posted by Brat1
It will and your dogs will be fine by the way. We brought ours over on a separate flight from ours and he was fine so stop worrying and enjoy the move. Have you got a rental sorted out yet as we had real problems trying to rent with the dog and eventually only really had the one option left which is the house we're in at the minute. Good luck anyway and like I said, stop worrying!!
Hi

We have a temp rental for a month but have been looking a lot on Craigs list and they seem to have quite a few properties that allow dogs
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:14 pm

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Weirdly, my realisation kicked in when I was walking my dog around the streets of Houston the day we arrived. Obviously when you go on holiday to the States, you don't take your animals with you so the fact I had her suddenly made me realize I was here to live! Weird huh?!

Good luck with your move. I loooooooooooove San Francisco - one of my favourite places out of those I've managed to visit.
I understand completely what you mean having my two dogs with me will make it feel very real (and no longer having a home in London).

All very surreal at the moment
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck! I arrived 27 years ago with one suitcase and no money (but I did have a job offer). I loved it the day I landed and still love it. I got tired of the actual city of San Francisco after about 12 years, but the suburbs around it are fantastic so you can still say 'in the neighborhood' as it were! It was an easy transition from London for me.

I arrived in September also; the BEST month in SF - indian summer and all that ...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Best of luck! I arrived 27 years ago with one suitcase and no money (but I did have a job offer). I loved it the day I landed and still love it. I got tired of the actual city of San Francisco after about 12 years, but the suburbs around it are fantastic so you can still say 'in the neighborhood' as it were! It was an easy transition from London for me.

I arrived in September also; the BEST month in SF - indian summer and all that ...

It's possible we were on the same flight . I arrived in San Francisco in Sept. 83, ( can't remember the exact date ). I grew up in Cheshire, but moved to London, and left from London. ( one of my favorite Cities ! ).

I did temping , until I got my SSN #

You are right , there are some excellent places to live in the Bay Area, I used to take the Caltrain , which was pleasant, but Commuting by car can be a big hassle though. Especially during rush hour.

I guess you may be here by now !

In which case welcome ! Take lots of photo's, and enjoy the positive aspects of this fine city.

PM me if you get to the Mendocino Coast.

Mick
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
It's possible we were on the same flight . I arrived in San Francisco in Sept. 83, ( can't remember the exact date ). I grew up in Cheshire, but moved to London, and left from London. ( one of my favorite Cities ! ).

Wow! I grew up near Cheshire (Lancashire), went to London for Uni in 1977, stayed on to work, and got a job in CA in 83. Worked in Palo Alto (one of the best cities in the country, IMHO) but had a 'thing' for the city back then so commuted down 280 every day from SF (and that has to be one of the best commutes in the world!). I fell in love with Mendocino in the late 80s and had dreams of living there, but my jobs were in the Bay Area. Now that I've been around a bit more, I'm less enamored with Mendocino itself (last time I was there I was shocked at how many homeless kids were on the streets) but the area is absolutely beautiful! The drive through Boonville and Philo on 128 from 101 is one of the best. Oh, how I wish I could be be in more than one place at a time!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I grew up near Cheshire (Lancashire),
My hometown was Stalybridge.......

Well I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will Pm you........small world eh ?

I Live about 40 Miles south of Mendocino, in small coastal town, so it's a bit different than the touristy areas.

I just bought a mid- life motorbike , ( Triumph 900 ) , riding through the redwoods is amazing.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:32 am

Thanks for that good to hear after a bit of a wobble last night
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

ncerutti is an unknown quantity at this point

You will love SF !!! Been there for 5 years now and still many things to do and see.

<snip>

Good luck with the move. Cheers.

Last edited by meauxna; Sep 24th 2010 at 10:58 pm. Reason: welcome to BE; please review http://britishexpats.com/site-rules regarding advertising.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ncerutti
You will love SF !!! Been there for 5 years now and still many things to do and see.

<snip>

Good luck with the move. Cheers.
Many thanks the move was ok pretty stressful getting dogs back but glad we arrived in a heat wave
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat

I did temping , until I got my SSN #

You are right , there are some excellent places to live in the Bay Area, I used to take the Caltrain , which was pleasant, but Commuting by car can be a big hassle though. Especially during rush hour.

I guess you may be here by now !

In which case welcome ! Take lots of photo's, and enjoy the positive aspects of this fine city.

PM me if you get to the Mendocino Coast.

Mick
No kidding, I arrived in SFO in 83 too. two suitcases and a couple hundred bucks, Dh met me at the airport. We are from North Wales, not too far from Cheshire
Old Sep 25th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
No kidding, I arrived in SFO in 83 too. two suitcases and a couple hundred bucks, Dh met me at the airport. We are from North Wales, not too far from Cheshire
Small world ! We used to holiday in North Wales, my mums family is from Cardiff in the south. Spent many a cold summers day on a caravan site in Aberystwyth.

Did you move straight up to the foothills ?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 1:44 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Mines in the garage with oil drips all over it, maybe we could start a Blue Peter, 101 ways with a chest x ray, sticky back plastic, a toilet roll and a yogurt pot thread!
Originally Posted by N1cky
All sounds good, hope it all goes well for you
Another potential drinking buddy girls
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:20 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Another potential drinking buddy girls
We'll have to hire a venue at this rate.

Dare I suggest that we need to put a Christmas SF get together in the events?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:22 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We'll have to hire a venue at this rate.

Dare I suggest that we need to put a Christmas SF get together in the events?
You can arrange it I am not reliable enough I F@@@ED up the last one no one will trust me again
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:24 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You can arrange it I am not reliable enough I F@@@ED up the last one no one will trust me again
Did you Poppy? I don't think anyone realized

Maybe I should wait until we actually have a date to move, otherwise knowing me I would organize it for the night before we arrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.