Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wake up and smell the coffee

Wake up and smell the coffee

Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wake up and smell the coffee

I've tried all kinds of perc coffee,I love it when I go and buy a cup,but no matter what I do the coffee I make in my own perc is just disgusting!...so I went back to Nescafe instant!...and I enjoy it!...only have one mug a day,and smetimes a mug of Tetley British Blend tea...although I really like Celestial Seasonings Tangerine Orange Zinger tea esp. when I feel a bit 'under the weather'....oh found Robinson's apple and blackcurrant fruit drink in the British section in the new Meijers store!,lovely!....Sophia
Old Dec 24th 2006, 12:56 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My grandfather was a scaler for a logging company 80 odd years ago, but apparently he was a pretty good cook, so would occasionally take a hand at that up in the woods. Of course that was in the days before filters, etc-a pot on a wood stove period.. He used to put eggs shells in the coffee, was supposed to collect the bitterness I think. Not unlike chicory coffee?
Sadly, my mother never inherited his coffee making ability, to this day, her coffee can either float an axehead or be used for eyewash.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:02 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My grandfather was a scaler for a logging company 80 odd years ago, but apparently he was a pretty good cook, so would occasionally take a hand at that up in the woods. Of course that was in the days before filters, etc-a pot on a wood stove period.. He used to put eggs shells in the coffee, was supposed to collect the bitterness I think. Not unlike chicory coffee?
Sadly, my mother never inherited his coffee making ability, to this day, her coffee can either float an axehead or be used for eyewash.
The eggshells were put in to help make the grounds sink to the bottom of the pot.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:04 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TruBrit]...i even filter the pussies water QUOTE]

I think that's TMI....................:scared:
Old Dec 24th 2006, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.

I buy coffee from Costco (grind my own beans) and that's what we have on the weekends. But during the week when we're both up at different times and a full pot of coffee would be a waste, we make ourselves Kenco. Anyone that comes to visit (or my daughter posts some to us if we're running low) brings us Kenco coffee. Nothing better than Kenco (well for instant coffee.) And we have pretty good water, so all in all, both ways (instant and coffee pot) we get a good cup of coffee.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 6:08 am
Just Joined

AmeriBrit05 is an unknown quantity at this point

were talkin pussies...i wish i had a real one and not plastic!!
Old Dec 25th 2006, 6:25 am
Just Joined

shpouldnt the titile say....wake up and smell the pussy?? ahhhhhh
Old Dec 28th 2006, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you gotta lurve that smell..........
Old Dec 28th 2006, 10:55 pm
MaƱo-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
the only time we use tap water is to clean our teeth...i even filter the pussies water

i love my morning cuppa but then i love the smell of coffee percolating in the morning.

How on earth did you manage to fit a filter on the bidet? Does the pussy taste any differently?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 6:21 am
Just Joined

pussy tastes good...give it a try jerseygirl you will luv it
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by AmeriBrit05
pussy tastes good...give it a try jerseygirl you will luv it
I think AmerBrit05 is getting a little single minded.

Q. What's the difference between coffee and pussy ?

A. If you blow on your coffee it cools down
Old Dec 29th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I've have tried most coffee since arriving here, most instant is nasty tasting I just cant bring myself to drink it, the kids bring over nescafe but after drinking proper coffee it just isnt the same. Hubby buys eight o'clock for his everyday cuppa (whats left in the pot goes to work in his thermos). We also use coffee from a local internet cafe / coffee shop the Woolly Bugger http://www.wbcoffee.com/index.phtml they roast their own beans on site so the coffee is fresh and yummmy

Jan
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:08 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I think AmerBrit05 is getting a little single minded.

Q. What's the difference between coffee and pussy ?
A. I know where to get coffee.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant
A. I know where to get coffee.

You need to go on a cruise.