Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compulsory ID Poll

View Poll Results: Should compulsory ID be brought into law ?
I agree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
53.03%
I disagree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Compulsory ID Poll

Old Dec 25th 2006, 9:53 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compulsory ID Poll

Are you in favour of compulsory ID for law-abiding residents of either the UK or USA ?
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory ID Poll

Yes, if for no other reason then for easy identification in case of an accident or their being a victim of a crime.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 10:46 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, if for no other reason then for easy identification in case of an accident or their being a victim of a crime.
Then I presume you are in favour of compulsory DNA testing for a national database on the birth of a child ?

It's the same thing.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Being as you have to have your license in your posession to drive, it is, in effect, already in force. Good, bad, its totally irrelevant I think. Besides, unless you are a terrorist, are you going to want to hide your identity? Methinks not. Copper comes and says to you "You are in trouble, what is your name?" - it really doesn't matter if you carry an ID or not, if you have half a brain you'll tell the who you are.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Then I presume you are in favour of compulsory DNA testing for a national database on the birth of a child ?

It's the same thing.
Of course. It would absolutely the best means of identifying children who are lost, stolen, or victims of predators known as man.

Why would you be against it? Babies have their feet printed at birth for identification purposes. I'm assuming you are viewing it as an invasion of privacy. There is no such thing in today's world.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 3:27 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

The USA already has an ID card, they just call it a drivers license instead.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
The USA already has an ID card, they just call it a drivers license instead.
Right Sarah ...

I already carry
Driving licence
Carry permit
Credit Card
Green Card

Why not add a few more ...
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
"it really doesn't matter if you carry an ID or not"
You said it yourself. So why should we carry it ?

Last edited by TRPardoe; Dec 26th 2006 at 12:13 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:12 pm

Of course. It would absolutely the best means of identifying children who are lost, stolen, or victims of predators known as man.

Why would you be against it? Babies have their feet printed at birth for identification purposes. I'm assuming you are viewing it as an invasion of privacy. There is no such thing in today's world.
Babies have their feet printed so that they are not mixed up in the hospital. The footprint record does not go to a national identity database.

It's not the same thing.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:36 pm
Concierge

You're being obtuse. It may not be a national database YET, but it helps to identify abducted infants, etc. The record can be obtained from the hospital and used to identify the child if and when the live or dead infant is found. It is not done solely to avoid mixup at the hospital.

Also note in the US our schools have a program whereby the children can be fingerprinted and those prints entered into a nationwide database. This includes their photos as well.

Babies have their feet printed so that they are not mixed up in the hospital. The footprint record does not go to a national identity database.

It's not the same thing.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 12:46 pm

You're being obtuse. It may not be a national database YET, but it helps to identify abducted infants, etc. The record can be obtained from the hospital and used to identify the child if and when the live or dead infant is found. It is not done solely to avoid mixup at the hospital.

Also note in the US our schools have a program whereby the children can be fingerprinted and those prints entered into a nationwide database. This includes their photos as well.
You should look up obtuse in the OED. I am not being obtuse I am being accurate.

People seem to be far too willing to allow the Borg to assimilate them.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

You should look up obtuse in the OED. I am not being obtuse I am being accurate.

Seems a bit strange that the person who started the poll demonstrates an obvious bias on the poll's subject. Why even ask, if you're just going to criticize people who respond to your poll?

~ Jenney
Old Dec 26th 2006, 4:57 pm
Concierge

LOL Actually I did before using it and it fit perfectly.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 5:01 pm
Concierge

Well since you are so adverse to "borg" whoever the hell that is unless you mean big brother knowing who you are (and whatever does that have to do with assimilation, why not do as the hippies of my generation did: DROP OUT

There are quite a few communes in the wilds of Nova Scotia. They are completely self-contained, the people intermarry, and outsiders are not allowed in unless they can provide they are not establishment. You seem to fit in beautifully. No one knows who they are, when they were born, who they marry, who is the father or mother of any child, and no one knows when they die. But then they also don't avail themselves of socialized medicine provided by the Canadian government. Not that they can since the older ones are illegal immigrants.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:31 pm

Well since you are so adverse to "borg" whoever the hell that is unless you mean big brother knowing who you are (and whatever does that have to do with assimilation, why not do as the hippies of my generation did: DROP OUT

There are quite a few communes in the wilds of Nova Scotia. They are completely self-contained, the people intermarry, and outsiders are not allowed in unless they can provide they are not establishment. You seem to fit in beautifully. No one knows who they are, when they were born, who they marry, who is the father or mother of any child, and no one knows when they die. But then they also don't avail themselves of socialized medicine provided by the Canadian government. Not that they can since the older ones are illegal immigrants.

I wonder if there is way of blocking people on this forum ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.