British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wake up and smell the coffee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wake-up-smell-coffee-414804/)

g1ant Dec 21st 2006 12:21 pm

Wake up and smell the coffee

In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.

Mallory Dec 21st 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Wake up and smell the coffee

Originally Posted by g1ant
In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than a nice cup of that Kenco stuff from the red can.

But since we moved here, Mrs g1ant insists that we have one of those coffee things that makes a whole pot at a time. So, we gave it a try. I have to admit that I'm getting used to it.

Mrs G puts it on when she leaves for work at 6:40 and by the time I drag myself out of the pit at around 8-ish, it's still nice and warm.

The down side? Well the stuff tastes like sh*t. The tap water is horrible so we use bottled water to make the coffe but it still tastes foul.

I worked out the problem. The stuff she is buying (Maxwell House I think) is just crap coffee.

So does anyone have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.

She needs to step it up a notch and buy better coffee, i.e. Millstone. Cost about $8 a pound. Buy in supermarket.

A light coffee would be breakfast blend, a little more flavour would be Columbia medium roast. You can get a light roast, medium roast, or a foglifter, stronger roast.

One of your problems is letting it sit for about an hour. Fresh coffee is much better. She could make herself some, and then refill the pot with coffee, so that you could switch it on. Or you could buy one of those newer pots that are all the rage, whereby it makes 1 cup at a time. Stale coffee is not good.

yorkshirelass Dec 21st 2006 12:36 pm

Nothing beats Seattle's Best Coffee IMO! It is available at most grocery stores.

Duncan Roberts Dec 21st 2006 12:37 pm

Well, my first suggestion would be to make a fresh pot. An hour and a half on a warming plate will make the best coffee in the world taste like crap.

anabella Dec 21st 2006 12:43 pm

Agreed..

And instant coffee here is shite.. but there is a great choice of coffee beans you'll have to try several and decide which one you like most..

g1ant Dec 21st 2006 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Well, my first suggestion would be to make a fresh pot. An hour and a half on a warming plate will make the best coffee in the world taste like crap.

I got up especailly early this morning, and it was less than 15 minutes old. Still tasted like crap.

If I was going to brew fresh, then a tub of Kenco instant will be coming back from the UK with me next week.

jen_andreson Dec 21st 2006 12:43 pm

I thought Kenco and Maxwell House were the same, as both are made by Kraft. I noticed a difference in taste here going from v hard water to soft water (I'm used to it now I guess).

We buy Millstone, and drink it straight away. Seattle's Best is very good as are some of the Starbucks variants--we tend to get gift boxes of those at Christmas. See if you can find one of those gift sampler things in your supermarket-an easy way to try a few different types.

TruBrit Dec 21st 2006 12:43 pm

i have always loved kona coffee however it has to be 100% kona.... we went to the kona plantation in hawaii this year and the smell in there was wonderful ;)

the warming plates are not a good idea unless just freshly brewed....nice idea by your wife but you'll have to get up earlier to drink it :p

gardnma Dec 21st 2006 12:56 pm

In the UK, I was an instant coffee man. Nothing better than .......................e have any suggestions about what to buy? I like it mellow - much like the Kenco at home.

Tried using a percolator? It tastes better.

robskatie Dec 21st 2006 12:58 pm

Not sure where you are but if you can get Cravens coffee it's delicious!! I've only seen it on the West coast in stores but they now do online orders.
The company was started by and English guy, Simon Craven.
The trick, IMHO is to grind the beans yourself and store them in the freezer, perfect cup every time :)
http://www.cravenscoffee.com/

Elvira Dec 21st 2006 1:09 pm

Try buying your coffee from an independent store, and look out for Fare Trade coffee (where more $$$ goes to the poor guys actually producing the coffee).

I usually buy Sumatra from our local Coop - lovely. They have about 30 different varieties, so one is spoilt for choice.

:beer:

Mallory Dec 21st 2006 1:10 pm

I ordered some blackcurrant tea online from the English Tea Store. I put in one packet of Equal and a slice of lemon. OMG, it's so good.

TruBrit Dec 21st 2006 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
I ordered some blackcurrant tea online from the English Tea Store. I put in one packet of Equal and a slice of lemon. OMG, it's so good.

errr this is about coffee :cool: :D

Jerseygirl Dec 21st 2006 1:14 pm

I'm not a big coffee drinker myself...always drink tea when I'm at home. I put a Britax water filter on my tap years ago...from Costco. It's excellent and takes away that horrid chorinated taste...it tastes just like bottled water. In fact a while ago I read that filtered tap water had far less bacteria in it than bottled water. :eek:

TruBrit Dec 21st 2006 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not a big coffee drinker myself...always drink tea when I'm at home. I put a Britax water filter on my tap years ago...from Costco. It's excellent and takes away that horrid chorinated taste...it tastes just like bottled water. In facr a while ago I did read that tap filtered water had far less bacteria in it than bottled water. :eek:

the only time we use tap water is to clean our teeth...i even filter the pussies water :o

i love my morning cuppa but then i love the smell of coffee percolating in the morning.