Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Volunteer on 9/11

Volunteer on 9/11

Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:14 am
  #1  
Fair and balanced
Thread Starter
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14,915
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Volunteer on 9/11

I had an email from volunteer match today, to promote 9/11 as a day of volunteering, this evening I saw a TV ad for it. I signed up with volunteer match so recieving an email in itself is no problem.

=====quote===========
"Ten years ago, the United States experienced the shocking and tragic attacks of September 11, 2001.
Since then, many Americans have organized efforts to honor both those we lost and those who served during 9/11 -- especially in ways that help strengthen and heal our communities.
This year, over a million individuals and thousands of organizations will get involved in the National Day of Service and Remembrance that was officially recognized by President Obama in 2009. In observance of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, MyGoodDeed.org is leading a collective effort to organize the single largest day of good deeds and charitable service.
What will you do in honor of 9/11 Day of Service?"
=====end quote========

I can not put my finger on it, but it seems inappropriate to link the events of that day with volunteering, just my intuitive reaction. Maybe its aligning volunteering with "those who served" who I take to mean the military.



Just wandering if anyone else has an opinion one way or the other.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 12th 2011 at 4:21 am. Reason: add link
kimilseung is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:52 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
katiekat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

It's more likely a continuation of the 9/12 feel where so many people showed up to volunteer in New York that they were turned away. There was a huge outpouring of love and support from across the whole country.
katiekat is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:51 pm
  #3  
WTF?
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 77,341
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I had an email from volunteer match today, to promote 9/11 as a day of volunteering, this evening I saw a TV ad for it. I signed up with volunteer match so recieving an email in itself is no problem.

=====quote===========
"Ten years ago, the United States experienced the shocking and tragic attacks of September 11, 2001.
Since then, many Americans have organized efforts to honor both those we lost and those who served during 9/11 -- especially in ways that help strengthen and heal our communities.
This year, over a million individuals and thousands of organizations will get involved in the National Day of Service and Remembrance that was officially recognized by President Obama in 2009. In observance of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, MyGoodDeed.org is leading a collective effort to organize the single largest day of good deeds and charitable service.
What will you do in honor of 9/11 Day of Service?"
=====end quote========

I can not put my finger on it, but it seems inappropriate to link the events of that day with volunteering, just my intuitive reaction. Maybe its aligning volunteering with "those who served" who I take to mean the military.



Just wandering if anyone else has an opinion one way or the other.
I would take "those who served" to mean the police and firefighters. Many died but there were many more who stayed at ground zero day and night pulling people (dead and alive) out of the rubble. They wouldn't go home until they knew there was absolutely no chance of finding more survivors. It was actually quite amazing.

That's my take on it anyway.
Leslie is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:04 pm
  #4  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 11,426
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I would take "those who served" to mean the police and firefighters. Many died but there were many more who stayed at ground zero day and night pulling people (dead and alive) out of the rubble. They wouldn't go home until they knew there was absolutely no chance of finding more survivors. It was actually quite amazing.

That's my take on it anyway.
I agree, I assume it means emergency services and volunteers. Reading the email, it seems like an honorable idea that is peaceful, inclusive and might get folks volunteering long term who otherwise wouldn't have... So I'm going to look into this and maybe volunteer. I hadn't heard of it before..
robin1234 is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:08 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,025
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I can not put my finger on it, but it seems inappropriate to link the events of that day with volunteering, just my intuitive reaction. Maybe its aligning volunteering with "those who served" who I take to mean the military.



Just wandering if anyone else has an opinion one way or the other.
I don't equate "those who served" with strictly the military rather believe that it includes all members of society who voluntarily gave of their time, energy, expertise and skills to look for survivors, clean up debris, assist those who lost loved ones, etc. all done without payment for their services.

It is a rare time in our brief history where people joined together as one to do all they could to assist others during and after this tragic event.
Rete is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:33 pm
  #6  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,035
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I don't equate "those who served" with strictly the military rather believe that it includes all members of society who voluntarily gave of their time, energy, expertise and skills to look for survivors, clean up debris, assist those who lost loved ones, etc. all done without payment for their services.

It is a rare time in our brief history where people joined together as one to do all they could to assist others during and after this tragic event.
I couldn't agree more. In fact it was the firemen and policemen rather than the military who not only suffered the losses, but were the mainstay of the recovery effort. They were joined by their comrades from around the country who jumped in their cars and came to NYC to volunteer to help. In the city there were deli workers who supplied free refreshments, the volunteers who staffed the centers where people could register the names of a missing loved one, people who immediately went to give blood (very sadly not needed), up in Gander the residents took stranded people whose planes were forced to land into their homes -- what went on at that time really was a reflection of what volunteers can accomplish. I think pledging to help others on a regular basis is a great way to honor the victims of 9/11.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:53 pm
  #7  
Fair and balanced
Thread Starter
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14,915
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

Thanks for replying guys.

It is good to find out when it's just me. I can go back and re-evaluate.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:07 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: From a beautiful part of Scotland, now in Colorado
Posts: 265
MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer on 9/11

I get what you mean with this.

I heard a radio advert the other day for an event to mark 9/11, but it explicitly stated it was to honour military veterans. That actually made me really angry, 9/11 was a civilian tragedy, it was firefighters, police officers and joe public who were killed. I don't doubt some of these folk were military veterans, but they weren't killed in military service.

Must admit, they way the armed forces are revered over here really bugs me. I get the distinct impression that many folk think nothing else matters. What about all the other people who make a difference in society? Are they not important? Many folk who join the armed forces here do the required time to get an education then leave. Plenty don't see active duty. That's fine, but don't make it into something it's not.

I should add I'm not particularly pacifist, I have family members in the UK forces. They are career servicemen but still pragmatic. I just don't like the way the forces in the USA are glorified whilst the contributions of others are ignored.
MadRad is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.