British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Volunteer on 9/11 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/volunteer-9-11-a-728302/)

kimilseung Aug 12th 2011 4:14 am

Volunteer on 9/11

I had an email from volunteer match today, to promote 9/11 as a day of volunteering, this evening I saw a TV ad for it. I signed up with volunteer match so recieving an email in itself is no problem.

=====quote===========
"Ten years ago, the United States experienced the shocking and tragic attacks of September 11, 2001.
Since then, many Americans have organized efforts to honor both those we lost and those who served during 9/11 -- especially in ways that help strengthen and heal our communities.
This year, over a million individuals and thousands of organizations will get involved in the National Day of Service and Remembrance that was officially recognized by President Obama in 2009. In observance of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, MyGoodDeed.org is leading a collective effort to organize the single largest day of good deeds and charitable service.
What will you do in honor of 9/11 Day of Service?"
=====end quote========

I can not put my finger on it, but it seems inappropriate to link the events of that day with volunteering, just my intuitive reaction. Maybe its aligning volunteering with "those who served" who I take to mean the military.

Just wandering if anyone else has an opinion one way or the other.

katiekat Aug 12th 2011 11:52 am

Re: Volunteer on 9/11

It's more likely a continuation of the 9/12 feel where so many people showed up to volunteer in New York that they were turned away. There was a huge outpouring of love and support from across the whole country.

Leslie Aug 12th 2011 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9554202)
I had an email from volunteer match today, to promote 9/11 as a day of volunteering, this evening I saw a TV ad for it. I signed up with volunteer match so recieving an email in itself is no problem.

=====quote===========
"Ten years ago, the United States experienced the shocking and tragic attacks of September 11, 2001.
Since then, many Americans have organized efforts to honor both those we lost and those who served during 9/11 -- especially in ways that help strengthen and heal our communities.
This year, over a million individuals and thousands of organizations will get involved in the National Day of Service and Remembrance that was officially recognized by President Obama in 2009. In observance of the tenth anniversary of 9/11, MyGoodDeed.org is leading a collective effort to organize the single largest day of good deeds and charitable service.
What will you do in honor of 9/11 Day of Service?"
=====end quote========

I can not put my finger on it, but it seems inappropriate to link the events of that day with volunteering, just my intuitive reaction. Maybe its aligning volunteering with "those who served" who I take to mean the military.

I would take "those who served" to mean the police and firefighters. Many died but there were many more who stayed at ground zero day and night pulling people (dead and alive) out of the rubble. They wouldn't go home until they knew there was absolutely no chance of finding more survivors. It was actually quite amazing.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

robin1234 Aug 12th 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9554920)
I would take "those who served" to mean the police and firefighters. Many died but there were many more who stayed at ground zero day and night pulling people (dead and alive) out of the rubble. They wouldn't go home until they knew there was absolutely no chance of finding more survivors. It was actually quite amazing.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

I agree, I assume it means emergency services and volunteers. Reading the email, it seems like an honorable idea that is peaceful, inclusive and might get folks volunteering long term who otherwise wouldn't have... So I'm going to look into this and maybe volunteer. I hadn't heard of it before..

Rete Aug 12th 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9554202)

I don't equate "those who served" with strictly the military rather believe that it includes all members of society who voluntarily gave of their time, energy, expertise and skills to look for survivors, clean up debris, assist those who lost loved ones, etc. all done without payment for their services.

It is a rare time in our brief history where people joined together as one to do all they could to assist others during and after this tragic event.

Nutmegger Aug 12th 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9554935)
I don't equate "those who served" with strictly the military rather believe that it includes all members of society who voluntarily gave of their time, energy, expertise and skills to look for survivors, clean up debris, assist those who lost loved ones, etc. all done without payment for their services.

It is a rare time in our brief history where people joined together as one to do all they could to assist others during and after this tragic event.

I couldn't agree more. In fact it was the firemen and policemen rather than the military who not only suffered the losses, but were the mainstay of the recovery effort. They were joined by their comrades from around the country who jumped in their cars and came to NYC to volunteer to help. In the city there were deli workers who supplied free refreshments, the volunteers who staffed the centers where people could register the names of a missing loved one, people who immediately went to give blood (very sadly not needed), up in Gander the residents took stranded people whose planes were forced to land into their homes -- what went on at that time really was a reflection of what volunteers can accomplish. I think pledging to help others on a regular basis is a great way to honor the victims of 9/11.

kimilseung Aug 12th 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks for replying guys.

It is good to find out when it's just me. I can go back and re-evaluate.

MadRad Aug 12th 2011 7:07 pm

I get what you mean with this.

I heard a radio advert the other day for an event to mark 9/11, but it explicitly stated it was to honour military veterans. That actually made me really angry, 9/11 was a civilian tragedy, it was firefighters, police officers and joe public who were killed. I don't doubt some of these folk were military veterans, but they weren't killed in military service.

Must admit, they way the armed forces are revered over here really bugs me. I get the distinct impression that many folk think nothing else matters. What about all the other people who make a difference in society? Are they not important? Many folk who join the armed forces here do the required time to get an education then leave. Plenty don't see active duty. That's fine, but don't make it into something it's not.

I should add I'm not particularly pacifist, I have family members in the UK forces. They are career servicemen but still pragmatic. I just don't like the way the forces in the USA are glorified whilst the contributions of others are ignored.