Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very low - what should we do ?

Very low - what should we do ?

Old May 11th 2011, 11:45 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very low - what should we do ?

Originally Posted by dlake02
- Southwold on the Suffolk coast. I wonder how things will seem !
A pint of Adnams seems great at this time.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:48 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Owwww lovely!
Old May 11th 2011, 11:50 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Old May 11th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Fish & Chips on the Pier and a couple of quid spent on the one-armed bandits.....
Old May 12th 2011, 8:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
Well, yes clearly I have no idea how to deal with a 9 year old boy. I only do girls and so far have experience up to age 4; so I can deal with that but nothing older. So she comes with us wherever we go and hanging out with parents is still fun.

It sounds like you're only here for a relatively short assignment so make the most of it while you're here because time will fly by and before long you'll be packing up and heading back to Blighty.
At which point, you'll probably be posting on here about how much you'll miss things and are having second thoughts about leaving!
Old May 12th 2011, 8:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Making friends I've found easy...making the kinds of friends who'd bail you out of the clink at 3am, well those life long kind of friends are much harder to make....but then again most people make those kind of friends over years from school/uni etc.
D'you need that kind of friend often, Bob?
Old May 12th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Well the SNP made large gains in the last election and if the referendum on Scottish independence passes we are going to have to find something else to wave pretty sharpish.

Old May 12th 2011, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
D'you need that kind of friend often, Bob?
It's those kind of situations when you discover who your true friends are though...or in more boring lay situations, when you need for borrow a lawn mower
Old May 12th 2011, 5:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies - they are all VERY helpful, because you've all been through it.

Some specifics....

1) Not really the "out-doors" type, but we do enjoy a day at the coast. Now that IS hard to beat here, but it has the constant feeling of being "on the outside, looking in" rather than actually living in the place. Maybe that does just take time ?

The same is true in SF - yes, it's a nice place to visit, but it's no different from living in the UK and going to London for a day, or Brighton. It's more about the day-to-day rather than the extra-ordinary that is eluding us at the moment.
4) Weeze mentioned about after school clubs - round here, probably due to the pushy tech-company types, they are all related to furthering education. Having said that, we are looking into football (soccer) clubs - possibly in the Autumn. I will check out meetup.com - new one on me. Thanks.

5) Jackattack - you make some interesting comments. I think your kids are much younger than ours, and to some extent, when you have young kids they "tag along" with you. Yes, we've done the Roaring Camp (it's far too lame for a nearly 10 year old now); even the seaside gets a bit passe for your average street-wise 10 year old nowadays. We're not into theme parks but would go to Raging Waters as a special treat. Not saying that having Preschoolers is easy (I KNOW it's not !) but there does seem to be a lack of things that are FUN (i.e. not soccer/baseball/basketball leagues or education improvement) to do at this age. Or maybe it's my age..... My son is spending over an hour a day doing homework - he had 40 minutes a week in the UK. He is a very bright kid and gets good results, so he is not struggling, but it is stopping him from being a boy. And his classmates are all locked in every day doing the same !
Hi David, we moved to Mountain View months ago after spening 3 years in LA, lots of what you said in your original post was how I felt when we first moved to the US, however when we moved to the Bay Area we have all found we love it. We also have a 9 year old, but a girl.

Can I ask what you did for fun back in the UK? You say you're not outdoor types, you're not into theme parks, you find cities touristy and not something you want to do every week, and don't seem overly keen on the cinema. What is it you are wanting to do? We never seem to struggle to find something to do.

We have also found lots of things for our daughter to do, she attends an art class, and is enrolling in a rock climbing class, there are lots of soccer and baseball clubs.... What is it you are looking for?
Old May 12th 2011, 5:42 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Hi David, we moved to Mountain View months ago after spening 3 years in LA, lots of what you said in your original post was how I felt when we first moved to the US, however when we moved to the Bay Area we have all found we love it. We also have a 9 year old, but a girl.

Can I ask what you did for fun back in the UK? You say you're not outdoor types, you're not into theme parks, you find cities touristy and not something you want to do every week, and don't seem overly keen on the cinema. What is it you are wanting to do? We never seem to struggle to find something to do.

We have also found lots of things for our daughter to do, she attends an art class, and is enrolling in a rock climbing class, there are lots of soccer and baseball clubs.... What is it you are looking for?
BBC Radio and British Boy Scouts and British Food and British TV.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

you find cities touristy and not something you want to do every week, and don't seem overly keen on the cinema
Hi - no, not quite correct.

1) Cities/galleries/museums/etc - we love going to. We used to pop up to London once every few months for a show/gallery/exhibition/etc. We are doing that to San Francisco, but as with any special day-out, you only do that a few times a year, not all the time. (One problem here is that there is quite a lot you have to pay for, whereas most of the London museums are free. That does limit us a little due to budgeting. And getting there is a bit of a pain - the train service is OK, but not that frequent or fast. It is dirt-cheap though compared to the UK).

2) Cinema - We have been to the cinema several times since we've been here.

As to what we did in the UK:

- Going to the coast for a day out. Again, we are doing that here and the seaside here is hard to beat..... It is gorgeous.

- Going "into town" at the weekend; shopping, library, cafes, etc. Ideally without the bl**dy car. We're struggling to find anything that resembles a town centre here.

- Cub Scouts most weeks/weekends including during the summer.

- 2-3 holidays per year (usually abroad, NL, France, etc). Usually beach-type holidays with activities for kids an hour a day, sea/swimming pool. We're all big readers (even the boy which is great !) and usually take a stack of books away with us. Bottle of wine, good meal, view of the sea and a good book....

We really are quite simple people !

We'll get there, I'm sure. It's just not quite the "Great" place that people spout on about. It's just A Place with problems like most.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BBC Radio and British Boy Scouts and British Food and British TV
Yes, maybe.... We'll work that out over time.

Maybe being away from what you know for a while is good - maybe we'll see the UK in a different light when we go back. After all, familiarity does breed contempt.

British Food
Err - no. Californian food can be truly wonderful - we've had some superb fish, salads and fresh vegetables in some memorable locations (Monterey for example). It can be truly dire as well, but no-where near as bad as a UK Motorway service station....
Old May 12th 2011, 6:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

1) Cities/galleries/museums/etc - we love going to. We used to pop up to London once every few months for a show/gallery/exhibition/etc. We are doing that to San Francisco, but as with any special day-out, you only do that a few times a year, not all the time. (One problem here is that there is quite a lot you have to pay for, whereas most of the London museums are free. That does limit us a little due to budgeting. And getting there is a bit of a pain - the train service is OK, but not that frequent or fast. It is dirt-cheap though compared to the UK).

- Going to the coast for a day out. Again, we are doing that here and the seaside here is hard to beat..... It is gorgeous.

- Going "into town" at the weekend; shopping, library, cafes, etc. Ideally without the bl**dy car. We're struggling to find anything that resembles a town centre here.

- 2-3 holidays per year (usually abroad, NL, France, etc). Usually beach-type holidays with activities for kids an hour a day, sea/swimming pool. We're all big readers (even the boy which is great !) and usually take a stack of books away with us. Bottle of wine, good meal, view of the sea and a good book....

We'll get there, I'm sure. It's just not quite the "Great" place that people spout on about. It's just A Place with problems like most.
Other than going into town on a weekend you haven't said what you want to do with your everyday life. It sounds to me as if you have come here expecting to find a new exciting life of doing things you never new existed, just to find out that actually life is exactly the same as it was in England. Most of us have been there. It can be a 'great' place if you allow it to be, if all you want to do is go to work, and nip to the shops on a weekend, its no better or worse than anywhere else.

There are plenty of 'town centre' type places here, much more so than other parts of the US I have visited. Palo Alto, Mountain View, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Saratoga all have downtown areas. Palo Alto being very British like with a mixture of high street shops and cafes, restaurants. Mountain View has lots of cafes and restaurants a farmers market every Sunday, a couple of nice little neighborhood parks just off the high street and a huge modern library. Easy access on the BART.

San Jose has Sanata Row which is nice for shopping as is the Stanford Centre in Palo Alto. If you like just mooching around shops and stopping for some food these are both really good places.

There are lots of free things to do in San Francisco too, also check out Target free days and most museums are free one day a month.

http://www.trekaroo.com/places/san-f...ara-california
Old May 12th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, maybe.... We'll work that out over time.

Maybe being away from what you know for a while is good - maybe we'll see the UK in a different light when we go back. After all, familiarity does breed contempt.

Err - no. Californian food can be truly wonderful - we've had some superb fish, salads and fresh vegetables in some memorable locations (Monterey for example). It can be truly dire as well, but no-where near as bad as a UK Motorway service station....
I have been here four years. The first shock for me was that the infrastructure and attitudes were like going back to Britain in the 1970s.
I am not ashamed to say that the BBC and Radio 4 and our general level of political debate are really good. I feel as if when we return it will be like going "Back to the future".
One of the difficult things about living here is that you can end up getting too self analytical. I havent yet managed to stop raising my eyebrows at some stuff and am starting to shout at the telly. I really feel as if I have to hold on to my British objectivity about what goes on here. (See Louis Theroux, its not just me!!!)
Ok, now I`m ducking!
Old May 12th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

You cant have it both ways, unless you live in a City Center here or in the UK, you either drive, bus or train in?

So why is that different to the UK?

Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay, Carmel, Bodega Bay, to name just a few without thinking. Highway 1 and all the little places along there, lots of deserted beaches to stop at and breathtaking scenery, whales, dolphins and seals playing in the surf.

Shopping centres, Stanford, Milpitas, Valley Fair, cross the road from valley Fair, Santana Row. Town Centres, every single downtown, has little boutiques, cafes, restaurants and usually a library not far.

Start your own, thats what life here s about, having a go!

-
2-3 holidays per year (usually abroad, NL, France, etc). Usually beach-type holidays with activities for kids an hour a day, sea/swimming pool. We're all big readers (even the boy which is great !) and usually take a stack of books away with us. Bottle of wine, good meal, view of the sea and a good book....
LA, San Diego, Mexico, Hawai, all less than 5 hours away.

You are quite simply homesick, this is how it works, you find you dont like something, lets say, steak. This leads you to decide that all steak is crap, on to all restaurants that serve steak are crap, on to anyone who likes steak is not my type, on to I dont like America because everyone eats steak, on to I dont like Americans because they eat steak on to I want to go home, blah, blah...................Trust me most of us have been there. Then one day you eat a nice steak and guess what, you realize its not so bad after all, maybe I'll try another, maybe the people arent so bad, maybe this place is ok..................

It also takes a reality check to see what you have, last time I went back to the UK (because I was homesick.) I landed at Heathrow, picked up a hire car by the time I stopped at Oxford Services I was so down on the place and the attitude of most people I called my husband to tell him I was turning the car around and getting on the next plane back!

I'm puzzled by an earlier post about activities for your son, (I live 5 miles from you by the way.) When the list of after school activities comes out I cant believe how much there is on there, if he wanted to my son could be doing something until 10pm every night and all weekend, have you looked at other schools websites, a lot of after school stuff is for everyone.

Life is what you make it, yes its hard, much harder than anyone who hasn't done it could ever know, but it will only ever work if you try, good luck.

Sorry about the ballsed up quotes!

Last edited by Bob; May 12th 2011 at 6:57 pm. Reason: fixing the quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.