Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very low - what should we do ?

Wikiposts

Very low - what should we do ?

Old May 31st 2011, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very low - what should we do ?

Originally Posted by N1cky
I know it sounds like people are having a pop at you, but you are showing all the signs many of us have been through. You see the bad in one thing, escalate it and see the bad in everything. Before you know if you hate everything about the US, love everything about the UK and its just a vicious cycle.

We all get your point about the cubs, but you have to accept thats how people here are, you aren't going to change them you have to change yourself.

You are focusing on one negative and can't see any of the positives. You'll have to change your attitude or you might as well get on the plane back to England and not bother coming back because you'll never be happy here unless you do.
However, if he has some good ideas about the cubs, why is it that they can never be taken on board? This interests me about the US and some of the attitudes displayed on this forum.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:24 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
However, if he has some good ideas about the cubs, why is it that they can never be taken on board? This interests me about the US and some of the attitudes displayed on this forum.
The ideas may be well received, saying to people that they need to plan ahead and be more organized though will not change them. You and me both know what it's like trying to make people in CA plan anything.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
The ideas may be well received, saying to people that they need to plan ahead and be more organized though will not change them. You and me both know what it's like trying to make people in CA plan anything.
That's true
Old May 31st 2011, 10:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I had some good ideas at first too, they get all excited about them and seem on board then just blow it off and go back to business as usual. You really can't change them, they like the way it is and you either go with the flow of really make yourself miserable.
I haven't been invited to a 4th of July, memorial day, labor day party in the 17 years we have lived here, yet I have good friends I see weekly, Yet if I try to throw a party for those days, they will all be gung ho and cancel last minute to go to family BBQ's or whatever, (and yes we tried it) So I make plans for my own family and if anyone is about they are welcome to come, rarely does anyone bother.
It has made our little family a lot closer, even as a college student Ds vacationed with us, and he wanted to, he was given the choice and chose us.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

I put my experience with Cubs forward as an example, not as the only issue.

Comittment, long-term planning, being able to think about external viewpoints, taking criticism and retorting with measured arguments rather than just knee-jerk "that's how it is" or "everything here is just great" are problems I am dealing with on a daily basis at work.

In private, as with my Cubs example, I find that people are all too willing to open up, tell me that things need to change, that these are serious, industry-threatening issues.

In public - nothing. Revert to type, "Life is good," "everything is fine.". The result is as much (if not more) moaning behind the scene as in the UK, but little-to-no interest in fixing them.

Admitting the problem is half-way to solving it. I just don't get it......
Old May 31st 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - this is all getting a bit depressing.....

When we were in FR, we hardly had a day free. We were regularly invited for dinner, feted as the interesting foreign people, went to weddings of people we barely knew, apperitifs most weekends with or for someone. They welcomed us in from day 1.

And we'd put the French down as cold and stand-offish. They're not - they're just quiet and shy until you get to know them.

We were hoping that by now we'd be on drinks-and-chats terms with a few people locally, and might get to experience 4th July celebrations with the real Americans - it would be wonderful. We've had nothing, so aswe booked to go to Vegas that weekend as again, we don't want to run the risk of sitting on our own. It's just not happening for us at the moment - it's such an insular society, and just not what we were expecting !
Old May 31st 2011, 11:00 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02

When we were in FR, we hardly had a day free. We were regularly invited for dinner, feted as the interesting foreign people, went to weddings of people we barely knew, apperitifs most weekends with or for someone. They welcomed us in from day 1.

And we'd put the French down as cold and stand-offish. They're not - they're just quiet and shy until you get to know them.

We were hoping that by now we'd be on drinks-and-chats terms with a few people locally, and might get to experience 4th July celebrations with the real Americans - it would be wonderful. We've had nothing, so aswe booked to go to Vegas that weekend as again, we don't want to run the risk of sitting on our own. It's just not happening for us at the moment - it's such an insular society, and just not what we were expecting !
You aren't a novelty here, very few people in Silicon Valley are from here originally, and there are hundreds of ex-pats from various countries.

Maybe just accept you can't make it happen you can't force people to be your friend, do what YOU want to do and not wait for other people to invite you. Join some British groups or whatever group you are interested in, there are loads on Meet Up, who will be on the same wave length.

Most of the friends I have here are English mainly because when you meet them you have something in common, we arrange most things last minute because thats what our lives have become like, we've changed to fit in with the environment.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

They probably don't want to risk listening to you complaining about the girl scouts all day long
Old May 31st 2011, 11:19 am

Here are some things that you could go along to in the area where you might meet some people with common interests.

http://www.meetup.com/Couples-and-kids/
http://www.meetup.com/EarthsKids/
http://www.openspace.org/activities/...actFilter=Kids
http://www.rei.com/stores/104
Old May 31st 2011, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I guess I don't know how far in advance you prefer people to set up plans? I see nothing wrong with a 1-2 week notice. I mean, really, you are that booked up that you can't fit something in with a 2 week notice? Now, I understand the frustration with the camping outing, as that is something that does appear to take some decent advanced planning (esp for a large number of kids), but a simple meeting or dinner shouldn't need notice that far in advance. But that's just my humble opinion. I mean, do you honestly think people are planning July 4th picnics right now - a month in advance? Or thinking about who to invite to a Thanksgiving dinner? Please tell me you aren't too serious about that!

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 31st 2011 at 1:52 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess I don't how far in advance you prefer people to set up plans?
We've usually started with the fixed dates (summer holiday much shorter than here so a bit of a cram, Easter, Christmas, family birthdays other school holidays such as the week-off in October which you don't have here) and then fit other things round. Then we think about where we want to go in the year, work out a budget for it, make sure that they don't clash with other commitments, agonise about whether we're favouring one side of the family over another, who we stayed with last time, etc....

Typically, that has left us planning meetings about 2-3 months in advance, especially when you factor in business trips that eat into weekends.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, that has left us planning meetings about 2-3 months in advance, especially when you factor in business trips that eat into weekends.
So just because you have that pattern, why do you seemingly presume that others would want to do so? I have to say the overall vibe your posts give off is an "it's my way or the highway" kind of deal.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 31st 2011 at 1:38 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - there I am buggering about in other dull threads about guns or whatever when all along there was a real barney brewing over here. Who's winning?
Old May 31st 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have to say the overall vibe your posts give off is an "it's my way or the highway" kind of deal.
Not supposed to. I'm interested in how others cope, balance their commitments to distant families, holidays, etc, etc.

Our experience here is that you don't have to plan as far in advance here as there is so much more availability of things (try booking a hotel in the UK anywhere less than about 2 months and you'll know what I mean), but as this is an ex-pat forum, how do others here balance things ? We all know that international flights have to be booked months in advance for the summer. I tried to book a hire car in one town in the UK for July last week and was told by two rental agencies that they'd been sold out for months. Ended up back at Hertz paying full-whack.

To be honest, not to have to plan to the n-th degree 3 months in advance for everything would be lovely, but if you did that in Europe, you'd been seriously out-of-pocket if there was anything left to do at all.......
Old May 31st 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It's exactly the same with Californians except they are brash and superficial until you get to know them ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.