Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:58 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Originally Posted by basementwaj
i agree mostly, but how much slack should any rude / shitty user get?
I dont mind the dumb questions, its the dumb question askers with bad attitudes that cause many long term members to walk away that i take offense to. I know of at least a half dozen members (who i stay in contact with personally) who left because of the level of ignorance and belligerence that some members display, Sonic being a prime example.
Fair enough.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:35 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by basementwaj
i agree mostly, but how much slack should any rude / shitty user get?
I dont mind the dumb questions, its the dumb question askers with bad attitudes that cause many long term members to walk away that i take offense to. I know of at least a half dozen members (who i stay in contact with personally) who left because of the level of ignorance and belligerence that some members display, Sonic being a prime example.
Calling anyone rude or shitty isn't going to endear them to you and (I don't wish to point this out but there's no other way) since one of these traits has already been displayed towards me by vous, perhaps I could also accuse you of the same and use bad language, but I don't.

Also, where is the bad attitude from me?
Objecting is not bad attitude.

You have also formed an opinion of me from reading a few posts on one subject matter - not very adult or sensible.

Finally, if you don't have much tolerance, you shouldn't be on an open forum.
No-one is forcing you to read or contribute to this or other forums.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonic5
C
Last time I looked your reply to Jenney was different I thought that was what basementwaj was on about.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:46 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Last time I looked your reply to Jenney was different I thought that was what basementwaj was on about.
Is he off editing a good attitude back into his posts?

Seems a little late for that, really.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Calling anyone rude or shitty isn't going to endear them to you and (I don't wish to point this out but there's no other way) since one of these traits has already been displayed towards me by vous, perhaps I could also accuse you of the same and use bad language, but I don't.

Objecting is not bad attitude.

You have also formed an opinion of me from reading a few posts on one subject matter - not very adult or sensible.

Finally, if you don't have much tolerance, you shouldn't be on an open forum.
No-one is forcing you to read or contribute to this or other forums.
Ha ha ha

two words

bite me (edited for Bobs sake)
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:10 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok everyone - sprout break...

Right - as you were...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:03 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since I don't know what this fee is actually for, I wouldn't know that such things are involved/connected.
On first glance, I would have thought that these things would be held/triggered electronically by some mechanism.
Well, now you know differently.

One has nothing to do with the other and its pretty silly to suggest it has.
Please do read things properly, especially if you're going to point fingers.
It does help, you know.
I never said they were related, just that you were ironically contradicting yourself. You said people shouldn't have to pay their annual car registration if everything was "OK" -- that is, they had no outstanding tickets, no license suspensions, etc. But in your very first post on BE, you asked "should I declare this UK conviction when I apply for USA citizenship and face the prospect that I am turned down or not declare it and hope they don't check or find out when they check?" In other words, you yourself were hoping that if you simply kept your mouth shut and not volunteer any information about your past misdeeds, the government would be none-the-wiser and thus things would be easier for you. If you don't see the contradiction between those two, then I can't help you.

Finally, anyone who starts a sentence with "Look", towards someone they don't know, is at best, terse, at worst, screaming their head off and so, in no position or state of mind to direct their words to anyone who is simply seeking knowledge and understanding.
Really? You really thought that it was possible that I was sitting at my computer and screaming my head off? That I was in "no state of mind" to share my thoughts and opinions? You asked a question and I offered an opinion. Please read the quote in my signature -- I think it's very apt here.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Sonic are you related to exvj?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:27 pm
JT1
Account Closed

JT1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like to compare the vehicle registration and inspection to the UK car tax and MOT. We in PA pay $36 a year, which considering the hammering the roads take over winter, is a tiny sum - the inspection costs all depend on what needs doing, pretty much like the MOT.

However, don't get me started on the 3,000 oil change the garages hammer down your throat - 3,000 miles - is this a joke or is it designed to keep car mechanics employed? I can't tell you how many times I've been stonewalled when querying why 3,000 miles when the UK equivalent is 5 to 7,500. The only reasonable answer I got was that synthetic oil is a pretty new thing over here (is it?). Any car mechanics out there who can put me right on this?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JT1
I like to compare the vehicle registration and inspection to the UK car tax and MOT. We in PA pay $36 a year, which considering the hammering the roads take over winter, is a tiny sum - the inspection costs all depend on what needs doing, pretty much like the MOT.

However, don't get me started on the 3,000 oil change the garages hammer down your throat - 3,000 miles - is this a joke or is it designed to keep car mechanics employed? I can't tell you how many times I've been stonewalled when querying why 3,000 miles when the UK equivalent is 5 to 7,500. The only reasonable answer I got was that synthetic oil is a pretty new thing over here (is it?). Any car mechanics out there who can put me right on this?
I get mine changed about every 10,000 miles - just to piss them off!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JT1

I've never heard of 3,000 being recommended.. isn't 5,000 miles standard in the US?

In the US, doesn't a lot of funding for the road system come from the federal government; thus from general taxation, not from state vehicle registration?

Last edited by robin1234; Nov 11th 2009 at 11:51 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:14 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've never heard of 3,000 being recommended.. isn't 5,000 miles standard in the US?
They push 3000 round our way. I usually do it around 6000.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:31 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Pussy.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:34 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Pussy.
Miaow!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Same around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.