Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle Registration - this feels like a scam

Originally Posted by meauxna
I know, I don't even use that end of town!

Yours should be BLDRUNR

Errr Bald Runner ; Blonde Runner ; Bleed Runner ; Bold Runner?

What is it Lansbury?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:39 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Errr Bald Runner ; Blonde Runner ; Bleed Runner ; Bold Runner?

What is it Lansbury?
dam and there was me thinking she meant blade runner

well bald would be the closest if meauxna was right but in reality it is six numbers
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
dam and there was me thinking she meant blade runner

well bald would be the closest if meauxna was right but in reality it is six numbers
hah! Was thinking of your Virtuous Works instead: Blood Runner!
Or wait, is it Organ Grinder? I always get those mixed up.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Cripes, California is expensive.
Very! I remember years ago my uncle had bought a brand new truck, his vehicle registration was approximately $600..... I think this was mid-90s
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
So, I guess you think that all the people who have outstanding tickets, no car insurance, suspended/revoked drivers licenses and/or unsafe cars will just willingly come forward and voluntarily pay their registration fees? And that the authorities should simply take everyone else's word for it that they're "OK" with nothing to hide?

Very ironic, considering what you asked in your very first BE post.

Look, you have basically 4 options: Keep your car and pay the registration fee, keep your car and DON'T pay the registration fee (with possible consequences), sell your car, or move to a location where residents aren't charged annual registration fees. The choice is yours.

~ Jenney
No - the OP has FIVE options; the four you mention, and this one. Keep the car & pay the registration, and go to BE and whinge loudly about it. Isn't that what BE is for??
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:00 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Very! I remember years ago my uncle had bought a brand new truck, his vehicle registration was approximately $600..... I think this was mid-90s
Well that makes me feel a little better about paying $250 here in IA.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:03 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No - the OP has FIVE options; the four you mention, and this one. Keep the car & pay the registration, and go to BE and whinge loudly about it. Isn't that what BE is for??
Indeed. However, I find it ironic that the same people complaining that someone is whingeing about vehicle registration, car insurance costs are the very same people that complain the loudest whenever the issue of healthcare costs rear their ugly head. Best stop whingeing about that, this is a different country after all...
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

so i take a year off from BE, and come back to see nothing has changed... more new users with shitty attitudes and dumb questions, attacking those who comment (humorous or serious) if the posts aren't kissing the OP's ass.

why cant we have anti-karma?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:49 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

So, I guess you think that all the people who have outstanding tickets, no car insurance, suspended/revoked drivers licenses and/or unsafe cars will just willingly come forward and voluntarily pay their registration fees? And that the authorities should simply take everyone else's word for it that they're "OK" with nothing to hide?
Well, since I don't know what this fee is actually for, I wouldn't know that such things are involved/connected.
On first glance, I would have thought that these things would be held/triggered electronically by some mechanism.

One has nothing to do with the other and its pretty silly to suggest it has.
Please do read things properly, especially if you're going to point fingers.
It does help, you know.

Finally, anyone who starts a sentence with "Look", towards someone they don't know, is at best, terse, at worst, screaming their head off and so, in no position or state of mind to direct their words to anyone who is simply seeking knowledge and understanding.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:50 am
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by basementwaj
so i take a year off from BE, and come back to see nothing has changed... more new users with shitty attitudes and dumb questions, attacking those who comment (humorous or serious) if the posts aren't kissing the OP's ass.

Why do people have to comment and unhelpfully/negatively so, when they don't need to/been asked to?

This tells us more than anything else about you.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonic5
Why do people have to comment and unhelpfully/negatively so, when they don't need to/been asked to?

This tells us more than anything else about you.
It's called a forum for a reason
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about where you are but here is what it's for in OH.

Basic passenger registration is about $35 per year.

$20 is put in a pool that goes to all the districts to maintain roads
$11 goes towards a highway safety fund to cover cover highway law enforcement
The rest goes to the registrar to cover the cost of doing and maintaining the registration.

Now compare that to a £125 or £195 per year (+ emissions fee) road tax in the UK and I think I make out pretty good here.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

To be perfectly frank, Sonic. It doesn't matter how the money is used by our particular state. It is your state's law to require all vehicles to pay a registration fee every year. So you really only have very few options - either pay it or don't.

Now, I can understand your need to complain about it, but it is what it is and no amount of analyzing the need for this fee will make it go away.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:37 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj

OK -- but I'd suggest being more tolerant of new users. If we smack them down immediately because of shitty attitude, dumb questions, and general "where-can-I-get-proper-british-bacon-and-UK-television" whininess, most of them will go away in a huff and never come back. However, if they stick around for a bit, quietly observe the cultural nuances of the BE forum, some at least will become worthwhile interlocutors..
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK -- but I'd suggest being more tolerant of new users. If we smack them down immediately because of shitty attitude, dumb questions, and general "where-can-I-get-proper-british-bacon-and-UK-television" whininess, most of them will go away in a huff and never come back. However, if they stick around for a bit, quietly observe the cultural nuances of the BE forum, some at least will become worthwhile interlocutors..
i agree mostly, but how much slack should any rude / shitty user get?
I dont mind the dumb questions, its the dumb question askers with bad attitudes that cause many long term members to walk away that i take offense to. I know of at least a half dozen members (who i stay in contact with personally) who left because of the level of ignorance and belligerence that some members display, Sonic being a prime example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.