USD / GBP

Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USD / GBP

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I can't be the only one paying UK debts off can I? The lower the pound in relation to the dollar the better for me Though my mom is visiting this summer so I guess it would be nice if the exchange rate was better during her stay so it'd be nice and cheap for her.
No GBP debts here, just savings. Bleh.

I got my company to start paying me in dollars again in anticipation of moving back, and at my old salary. It's equivalent to a raise of 45%. Should have asked months ago.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
woot bloody woot...just got a couple of squid I need transfering, couldn't have gotten the money a few months ago could I....bloody governments lol
Hey, don't worry. You'll have another chance in the future for a proper return on any monies you transfer. (Maybe... )
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:15 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I can't be the only one paying UK debts off can I? The lower the pound in relation to the dollar the better for me Though my mom is visiting this summer so I guess it would be nice if the exchange rate was better during her stay so it'd be nice and cheap for her.
Same boat exactly!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I recently went to the UK, and the Dollar, in my view was worth very little. I could not buy as many goodies as I used to.

Originally Posted by notacrime
As of this post: 1.40118

and still falling

All our savings are in £s, and we're moving back to California in August.

My wife and I had our GBP salaries set a year ago based on our USD salaries and an exchange rate of 1:2 at the time. :curse:

On the bright side at least we don't own a house, or any RBS shares!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:28 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I recently went to the UK, and the Dollar, in my view was worth very little. I could not buy as many goodies as I used to.
Thats just a reflection of how expensive the UK has become.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
Suerly it's just a reflection of the approximately 40% drop in the exchange rate? Things aren't much more/less expensive in the UK now than they were 12 months ago. Same for the US, presumably ...
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
I would say it is a bit of both, the exchange rate and inflation. I must say just seeing the UK again, was worth it though. Walking on the pavement, red buses and the sense of humour etc.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Walking on the pavement,
I have to ask. What do you walk on when you're not in the UK???
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have to ask. What do you walk on when you're not in the UK???
Most states that I have been to, do not have walking pavements you have to drive everywhere.And, if you do find one, you are looked at as a layabout.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:23 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Most states that I have been to, do not have walking pavements you have to drive everywhere.And, if you do find one, you are looked at as a layabout.
If you layabout, you'll get walked on.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say it is a bit of both, the exchange rate and inflation. I must say just seeing the UK again, was worth it though. Walking on the pavement, red buses and the sense of humour etc.
I don't understand how it could be the exchange rate. Right now the dollar will buy more pounds than almost any time in the last ten years.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:24 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Okachickima
I don't understand how it could be the exchange rate. Right now the dollar will buy more pounds than almost any time in the last ten years.
Me neither... but then I also dont understand how you can be thought of as a layabout when you walk rather than drive... perhaps Im just tired and confused?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:18 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by lj2
Me neither... but then I also dont understand how you can be thought of as a layabout when you walk rather than drive... perhaps Im just tired and confused?
I don't know, I asked DH because after all I'm the Yank. Well, he wasn't so sure either.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:29 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Walking in the 'burbs is interesting - you often end up walking on grass verges because the footpath will just stop. In addition you get all kinds of strange looks from people driving by because pedestrians are so few and far between - I suppose when they see you walking they assume that you can't afford a car, are lost, are up to no good, or all three.

As for the exchange rate - I continue to think in GBP, so even though I am "better off" when I convert my US salary (even though I spend it in the US) I feel less well off because everything is so "much more expensive" - and yes, I know I am an idiot.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:41 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Walking in the 'burbs is interesting - you often end up walking on grass verges because the footpath will just stop. In addition you get all kinds of strange looks from people driving by because pedestrians are so few and far between - I suppose when they see you walking they assume that you can't afford a car, are lost, are up to no good, or all three.
Not only all that, which seems to be universal, but for 6 months out of the year, its so horribly hot here that you sweat buckets just doing the damn lawn. Who on earth would actually enjoy a walk along the sidewalk when its hot enough to boil a monkey's bum (your Majesty)???

I once passed thru Phoenix in July and it was so unbelievably hot, I was told that the locals only went outside for any length of time in the evening. Like vampires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.