USD / GBP

Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USD / GBP

Originally Posted by Taffyles
The dollar will tank soon enough, as soon as they get round to doing something about it. Any bets on how low the dollar will go by the end of the year? bearing in mind the amount of money they are printing.
Low in relation to what?

It IS a bit surprising that the dollar is staying so strong. Probably because USD is still the world reserve currency for better or worse.

If China decides to start dumping US t-bills that will put downward pressure on the dollar. But they don't appear to have anything to spend it on or replace the t-bills with. Everyone is in the same boat! What are they going to do - buy pesos instead?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher
It's pretty grim for us; the children's support payments come in from the UK. Last year it was a rosy $2:£1 this year it's alot worse, and their father just took a mandatory 20% pay cut. At least he still has a job.... Hopefully I can get some on campus work in August to help!
Everyone knew it wouldn't last...you had a run of good luck for a while that's all.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Everyone knew it wouldn't last...you had a run of good luck for a while that's all.
Indeed we did. I am just grateful that I was able to get $2.05 to the £ when I did my major currency exchange. At the time I was trying to decide wethere or not to keep my money in the UK or move it; I am glad I moved it.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:14 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

No in a nutshell- the UK should take full advantage for as long as possible

The dollar will tank soon enough, as soon as they get round to doing something about it. Any bets on how low the dollar will go by the end of the year? bearing in mind the amount of money they are printing.
Why should the dollar tank? In fact it's already pretty weak in relation to the yen. However, the euro and the pound are even weaker, and there doesn't seem to be any indication that that is going to change in the near future.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Low in relation to what?

It IS a bit surprising that the dollar is staying so strong. Probably because USD is still the world reserve currency for better or worse.

If China decides to start dumping US t-bills that will put downward pressure on the dollar. But they don't appear to have anything to spend it on or replace the t-bills with. Everyone is in the same boat! What are they going to do - buy pesos instead?
Yes lets hope Hilary can appease the giant. China is now asking for guarantees on its US treasury holdings, they want to keep the dollar high, but how long are they going to keep buying US debt. In the meantime major economists here all seem in (rare)agreement that to combat the recession we have to devalue the dollar. If China calls the US on their IOUs??? or if anybody else does at the moment.... it has happened before.

It's inevitable that the dollar will devalue for a variety of reasons- we're printing money like there's no tomorrow - the budget deficit -rising unemployment- all the big money going into gold................

Last edited by Taffyles; Feb 17th 2009 at 6:46 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I hope you are right I'm hoping the dollar will become weaker so that when I need to exchange my pounds for USD this summer the rate will be better.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Scot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura aboutScot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura aboutScot_in_NYC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
$1.39 ? Jeez - might have to go home for a week if it keeps falling. Now, if Dunfermline can make it to the Scottish Cup Final (again) I might be able to persuade the wife to let me go.

Aye, and Hearts might win the Champions League.....
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I hope you are right I'm hoping the dollar will become weaker so that when I need to exchange my pounds for USD this summer the rate will be better.
But the price of everything will have doubled & there you'll be.

We get paid from the UK too and it's like having a pay cut after all those raises last year...
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:10 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Yes lets hope Hilary can appease the giant. China is now asking for guarantees on its US treasury holdings, they want to keep the dollar high, but how long are they going to keep buying US debt. In the meantime major economists here all seem in (rare)agreement that to combat the recession we have to devalue the dollar. If China calls the US on their IOUs??? or if anybody else does at the moment.... it has happened before.

It's inevitable that the dollar will devalue for a variety of reasons- we're printing money like there's no tomorrow - the budget deficit -rising unemployment- all the big money going into gold................
OK, a couple of points here:

1) We are not printing money, there has been no quantitive easing. However, there has been an increased amount of debt. But the thing is, this hasn't made the dollar weaker, if anything it's become stronger. The reason for this is mainly because of the reserve currency status of the dollar. Until that changes then the dollar is always going to remain relatively strong.

2) Regardless of the state of the US economy, the UK economy is in a worse state, and IMO it's going to take longer to improve than the US. What this means is that the dollar is going to stay strong against the pound for the forseeable future.

3) I'd like to see evidence of a consensus from economists on a devaluing of the dollar, because I don't see it. Got any links?

Here's a little light reading for you:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/0...upport-dollar/

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/0...ollar-rallies/

http://www.dailyfx.com/story/currenc...689962577.html
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=zargof;7295386]OK, a couple of points here:

1) We are not printing money, there has been no quantitive easing. However, there has been an increased amount of debt. But the thing is, this hasn't made the dollar weaker, if anything it's become stronger. The reason for this is mainly because of the reserve currency status of the dollar. Until that changes then the dollar is always going to remain relatively strong.

" Just how much money is the U.S. government printing to meet its debts? Steven Horwitz, professor at St. Lawrence University, and co-author of The Austrian Economists blog, explains that the amount of money printed in the past few months since the October economic crisis, has been absolutely unprecedented in U.S. history. “Since September, the 'monetary base,' which is the measure of currency plus bank reserves, has doubled from about $850 billion to $1.7 trillion, about $600 billion of which is in the form of bank reserves,” he says. "

Article continues here info here http://hnn.us/articles/60041.html

2) Regardless of the state of the US economy, the UK economy is in a worse state, and IMO it's going to take longer to improve than the US. What this means is that the dollar is going to stay strong against the pound for the forseeable future.

I don't believe that- its being generally reported that things are worse in the US. We have the biggest budget and trade deficits of any nation ever- the dollar is being held up by nothing but debt

3) I'd like to see evidence of a consensus from economists on a devaluing of the dollar, because I don't see it. Got any links?

Can't give a link for a consensus. It was my consensus gleaned from the horses mouths.. watching interviews with top economists, financiers, investors on TV channels such as Bloomberg. For example Feldstein (Harvard U) explaining how the only way to turn a trade deficit into a trade surplus is to devalue the currency.
While they all differ in their opinions of the current crisis and what to do about it- they have all stated that the dollar will be devalued this year.

Here's a link though to the ten major threats to the Dollar in 2009 (its a skeptics viewpoint but the article contains many interesting links)

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/0...ng-dollar.html

But it doesn't matter who's right or wrong- we'll all know by the end of the year. But I'm glad I listened to the sceptics on talk radio way back when and cashed out my 401K and bought gold bullion when the spot price was selling in the $400s.

Last edited by Taffyles; Feb 18th 2009 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:41 am
I love my brick!

" Just how much money is the U.S. government printing to meet its debts? Steven Horwitz, professor at St. Lawrence University, and co-author of The Austrian Economists blog, explains that the amount of money printed in the past few months since the October economic crisis, has been absolutely unprecedented in U.S. history. “Since September, the 'monetary base,' which is the measure of currency plus bank reserves, has doubled from about $850 billion to $1.7 trillion, about $600 billion of which is in the form of bank reserves,” he says. "

Article continues here info here http://hnn.us/articles/60041.html
Yeah I read the article, and the amount of t-bills is large, but...

"In the first nine months of the fiscal year, the deficit soared to 71.2 billion pounds from 37 billion pounds a year earlier. The gap will reach 77.6 billion pounds by the end of the year and peak at 118 billion pounds, or 8 percent of gross domestic product, in fiscal 2010, the Treasury forecasts."

And...

"With 1.8 trillion pounds of liabilities at the end of 2007, Royal Bank of Scotland could lift debt to almost 170 percent of GDP when the Edinburgh-based lender is taken onto the Treasury books."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...kZQpo&refer=uk

The point I'm trying to make is that yes the US is in trouble, but the UK is in a deeper hole, and if you don't believe me, then how about the IMF:

"The International Monetary Fund has today issued a report on a variety of Western governments, Western economies and how they are coping with the ongoing economic difficulties. Yet again the UK has been mentioned as the weakest economy in the developed world with forecasts indicating a 2.8% reduction in the UK economy this year. This is the largest one-year fall since 1946 and a rate which is faster than any other industrialised country in the world."

http://www.financialadvice.co.uk/new...8-in-2009.html

Can't give a link for a consensus. It was my consensus gleaned from the horses mouths.. watching interviews with top economists, financiers, investors on TV channels such as Bloomberg. For example Feldstein (Harvard U) explaining how the only way to turn a trade deficit into a trade surplus is to devalue the currency.
While they all differ in their opinions of the current crisis and what to do about it- they have all stated that the dollar will be devalued this year.

Here's a link though to the ten major threats to the Dollar in 2009 (its a skeptics viewpoint but the article contains many interesting links)

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/0...ng-dollar.html
Hmm... interesting, rather negative though. I can see there are definitely some good points there, but the main threat to the dollar IMO is that it is no longer the reserve currency, and I just can't see that happening in the near future (i.e. the next five years)
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:58 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

1.37890 looks like its on the way down again. Already below 52 week low. How far will it fall this time?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

First rise!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US

First rise!
woot bloody woot...just got a couple of squid I need transfering, couldn't have gotten the money a few months ago could I....bloody governments lol
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:42 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't be the only one paying UK debts off can I? The lower the pound in relation to the dollar the better for me Though my mom is visiting this summer so I guess it would be nice if the exchange rate was better during her stay so it'd be nice and cheap for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.