USD / GBP

Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USD / GBP

£1 = US$1.44

Things are a'changin'!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
£1 = US$1.44

Things are a'changin'!
Maybe. I called top pretty close to actual yesterday and moved a few $K over, to pay the bills, but I'm still hoping for better...
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Maybe. I called top pretty close to actual yesterday and moved a few $K over, to pay the bills, but I'm still hoping for better...
Finger crossed, eh!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

£1 = US$1.44

Things are a'changin'!
I get the XE Currency update every day in my email -- both yesterday and today it was $1.44. And yet on the BBC Radio 4 "Upshares-Downshares" report at 5:30pm (yesterday, Thursday) British time, they gave the exchange rate at $1.40. Seems like a large discrepancy??
Old Mar 20th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
I get the XE Currency update every day in my email -- both yesterday and today it was $1.44. And yet on the BBC Radio 4 "Upshares-Downshares" report at 5:30pm (yesterday, Thursday) British time, they gave the exchange rate at $1.40. Seems like a large discrepancy??
Yeah, this is the reason why I only refer to xe.com as well for the most up-to-date information.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:45 pm
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
As of this post: 1.40118

and still falling

All our savings are in £s, and we're moving back to California in August.

My wife and I had our GBP salaries set a year ago based on our USD salaries and an exchange rate of 1:2 at the time. :curse:

On the bright side at least we don't own a house, or any RBS shares!
Well, the dollar will be falling, but I wonder if BoE will practice Quantative Easing at a faster rate than the Federal Reserve Bank. Maybe holding money in Japanese Yen is not a bad idea. I went to Japan once to do a visa run for China and considered opening up a bank account with Mizuho Bank, in Osaka. (The city was actually cheaper than I had imagined) Unfortunately, because I did not have alien registration (which requires having a work visa to teach English or whatever) I was unable to do so. They called it Gaikokujintorokushomeisho a.ka. Gaijin Card. I really tried as the Yen was at 80 cents Canadian at the time, and had I stashed my money in Yen, boy would it have ballooned 50% in profits. During this time, the Eikaiwa Nova was having trouble. Many English teachers failed to get paid for the work that they did. I was surprised, since I thought that the Japanese had honour, and that they would not default paying workers for the work that they had done. I was also amazed that they did not just hire you to teach English just because you are white, as expected. Anyway, I know I meandered off topic here a bit, but I want to say get out of the Pound and the Dollar and get into something that will not fall. I know Gold and silver bullions are hard to get a hold of so for the time being, putting your money into digital gold or e-gold would be the best.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Umpatan
I know Gold and silver bullions are hard to get a hold of so for the time being, putting your money into digital gold or e-gold would be the best.
Financial advice from the man that recently lost £103,000?!?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595513
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to start my new baby's fund in £s, get the family to contribute and then in 5 years bring it back over here...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'll have to start my new baby's fund in £s, get the family to contribute and then in 5 years bring it back over here...
Are congratulations in order or are you speaking hypothetically?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are congratulations in order or are you speaking hypothetically?
You can congratulate me when he becomes a brain surgeon..... j/k he's great.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You can congratulate me when he becomes a brain surgeon..... j/k he's great.
and has he got a head of hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

xe.com reports £1 = £1.47 (ish).
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

DOH! Transfered $5k yesterday then it goes up 2c - I suppose it's only $70.....
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

xe.com reports £1 = £1.47 (ish).
1.5 by end of week?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by notacrime
1.5 by end of week?
Dunno. It's kind of going up a bit, then takes a tiny dip, then goes up some more.