Usa

Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough
Default Usa

I am always flipping between this site and the moving back to the UK forum as I am one of those that would like to return back but am still here in the USA - Pittsburgh, PA to be precise. Anyway as we all know everyone in the UK always seems to think life if a bed of roses over here but never take into account the homesickness but I sometimes wonder if this is because I live in Pittsburgh. So my question is, how many of us living over here actually like/love it and would never dream of going back and is this because of the area you are living. I guess I am trying to find out if there is obviously a lot more to offer here than good old P.A.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Usa

Originally Posted by debbie#1
I am always flipping between this site and the moving back to the UK forum as I am one of those that would like to return back but am still here in the USA - Pittsburgh, PA to be precise. Anyway as we all know everyone in the UK always seems to think life if a bed of roses over here but never take into account the homesickness but I sometimes wonder if this is because I live in Pittsburgh. So my question is, how many of us living over here actually like/love it and would never dream of going back and is this because of the area you are living. I guess I am trying to find out if there is obviously a lot more to offer here than good old P.A.
The things I miss about home will never be in the US no matter where I move to ie friends and family.
However certain places in the US may present you with the opportunity to partake in more activities to keep yourself busy and therefore spend less time moping around thinking about the UK.

No easy answers for you though I'm afraid.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya and sounds like your dilemma continues...i am lucky as i go home to the uk frequently. part of the reason i don't care much for the u.s. is probably coz i live in an ugly metropolis..maybe if it was pretty with some character life might, just might be different...
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
part of the reason i don't care much for the u.s. is probably coz i live in an ugly metropolis..maybe if it was pretty with some character life might, just might be different...
That's what I like about Nashville, has lots of areas with some character.
Is also not as redneck as it's made out to be. Several companies are realizing this & moving their offices here, so the job market is very good. Can recommend it as a great place to live.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:52 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Debbie,
I sympathise with you, Pittsburgh isn't exactly the most glamorous, happening, beautiful city in America.
I'm in State College, PA so not too far from you. Is there any way you can move from Pittsburgh? I'm stuck here for the next 4 years because my husband is doing his degree and then I'm doing my Masters, but after that we plan to move out of PA for good. Even though my husband is a PA native he knows it's one of the more analy-retentive states and too conservative for us really.
Why/how did you come to be living in Pittsburgh in the first place?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mickmills
Is also not as redneck as it's made out to be. Several companies are realizing this & moving their offices here, so the job market is very good. Can recommend it as a great place to live.

good for you mick, sounds nice
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

try moving because it could just be that city?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 6:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickmills
You beat me to it!

Yes, as DavyG said, there are aspects of the US that will never be like the UK. You can get a lot of what you want (in terms of cultural variety, foods, etc.) from a city, but then most cities are overdeveloped, etc. .... except for Nashville!

So, two of us suggest you move to Nashville, so that must be a quorum. Pack your bags!

p.s. I'm leaving for the UK pretty soon (hopefully July), but of all the places I've lived in and visited in the US, the middle TN area is my absolute favorite. If I was staying in the US and had a choice of where to live in the US, I'd move back to middle TN in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sarah,

We have plenty of opportunity to move out of here, husband works for Waste Management and fortunately can transfer nearly anywhere. However, everytime we talk about the east coast and down starting from North Carolina all we ever hear about is how poor the schools are (both boys are in elementary) and obviously we cannot afford to put them in private. Florida would be ideal as he has family down there and my dad has a house but again, schools bad and I think it would be too hot in the summer - also a bit too flat even though we have too many hills here. Phoenix was another option but the above applies and he won't entertain the west coast although I don't think we could afford it anyway.

How I ended up here - aargh!!!! I met husband through work and then I came to set up a new office here for the UK company - got together, got really homesick, just ready to go back and then found out I was expecting - panic!!! so I ended up staying. We have good quality of life, good schools, nice house etc... but like you know it really doesn't offer anything much else here.

How did you manage to meet your other half? Where do you think you would like to go - life is so much easier without kids.

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hello Debbie,
I sympathise with you, Pittsburgh isn't exactly the most glamorous, happening, beautiful city in America.
I'm in State College, PA so not too far from you. Is there any way you can move from Pittsburgh? I'm stuck here for the next 4 years because my husband is doing his degree and then I'm doing my Masters, but after that we plan to move out of PA for good. Even though my husband is a PA native he knows it's one of the more analy-retentive states and too conservative for us really.
Why/how did you come to be living in Pittsburgh in the first place?
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, anything is worth a try. I will have to read more about it - thanks to you both for the info.

Originally Posted by dunroving
You beat me to it!

Yes, as DavyG said, there are aspects of the US that will never be like the UK. You can get a lot of what you want (in terms of cultural variety, foods, etc.) from a city, but then most cities are overdeveloped, etc. .... except for Nashville!

So, two of us suggest you move to Nashville, so that must be a quorum. Pack your bags!

p.s. I'm leaving for the UK pretty soon (hopefully July), but of all the places I've lived in and visited in the US, the middle TN area is my absolute favorite. If I was staying in the US and had a choice of where to live in the US, I'd move back to middle TN in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:06 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

The people we leave behind in the UK often do think its pretty fantastic living in the US. Perhaps its in part, the grass being greener or people thinking that the places they have visited in the US represent the experience of living here.
I've never been to Pittsburgh, it might appear to be fairly glamorous if you lived in a less glam part of the UK.

If you have the freedom to choose where you want to live and work why not travel around the US and see if there is somewhere that suits you better.

I live in Washington DC and partly because it is a little like London ,I feel very much at home. I have also been to NY and Chicago and loved them both (but not their winter weather which was frighteningly cold) Las Vegas - Great for a few days but too superficial for everyday life. Minnesota/Wisconsin way too dull for me. Tampa - a great climate in the winter but too hot for comfort during the summer for me.

Its all a trade off really. If what you really miss are family, familiar people, familiar culture, food, work conditions and cant get over that perhaps it is a good idea to go back to the UK. I love living here but I can imagine it is very difficult for others to adjust. Good luck whatever your decision.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

How I ended up here - aargh!!!! I.
hey just think how lucky you are...you could be here in this hot humid ugly city
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

pruby has a brilliant futurepruby has a brilliant futurepruby has a brilliant futurepruby has a brilliant futurepruby has a brilliant futurepruby has a brilliant future

I have been to Pittsburg and would be happy if I never set foot there again. There are much much nicer places to live in the US than there. I am in the NW and love it here. We don't have extreme weather, the cost of living (though going up) is reasonable.

J~
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Although I found the first few years very difficult, I have got more and more used to life here. It will never by 100% home but I don't think the UK would be anymore either. I think the longer you stay here the harder it is to go back, although some will disagree with me.

I actually like living in this part of the NE. It is very rural without being out in the boonies, the countryside is very much like England. It is also a very safe area with almost no crime. I also like being close to several large cities, NYC 45/60 mins away, DC 4 hrs, Boston 6 hrs, Philly 2 hrs etc. The Jersey shore is about 45/60 mins away as is the mountains. Saying that I would at some point like to live in California. I would say if you have the opportunity to move around take it, see what you can while you can.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:39 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey just think how lucky you are...you could be here in this hot humid ugly city
haha! and prepare to de descended on by thousands of nerds... they're holding the annual drosophila conference there this weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.