Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not that old chestnut again. I go back to the UK often and I have never, ever heard of this.
In January when my MIL calls to arrange dates to come out and see us because she has to book her holidays for the year, I'll tell her she's making it up. I knew something was fishy.....

And the last job I had before I left the UK was working for Sainsburys......had I stayed into the new year (we moved in January, I quit working for them in December) I was going to have to book my four weeks off for the whole year.

Next time you're there, wander into Tescos or Sainsburys and ask the checkout girl/guy if she has to book her holidays for the whole year. Or ask a nurse....of course there's still the chance my mil is making this up.....

Last edited by AmerLisa; Oct 5th 2009 at 12:58 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
In January when my MIL calls to arrange dates to come out and see us because she has to book her holidays for the year, I'll tell her she's making it up. I knew something was fishy.....

And the last job I had before I left the UK was working for Sainsburys......had I stayed into the new year (we moved in January, I quit working for them in December) I was going to have to book my four weeks off for the whole year.

Next time you're there, wander into Tescos or Sainsburys and ask the checkout girl/guy if she has to book her holidays for the whole year. Or ask a nurse....of course there's still the chance my mil is making this up.....
There are ex UK nurses who post in here perhaps they could shed a little light on it.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Not that old chestnut again. I go back to the UK often and I have never, ever heard of this.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. I was referring to working in the UK where I worked in the manufacturing/engineering sector, and it is definitely common practice to have 'first come first serve'. And believe me, it was dog eat dog with the guys that had children who wanted some of the school holidays off.

Also, as somebody mentioned, very common in the retail industry and any sector that needs to stay open 24/7. I know hospital staff in both US and UK that have this issue too.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:53 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

There are ex UK nurses who post in here perhaps they could shed a little light on it.
I had to book mine at the beginning of the year.. but could change it if there was a spot available when i wanted
also when I worked in a nursing home we had to book holidays at the beginning of the year...
so i guess in some parts it does happen
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what dream? there's no dream these days.

Life is what you make of it, not the country.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia

...US is definitely cheaper to live and a better standard of living than the UK, ... But, we have cheap flights, cheap housing, cheap cars...
I haven't found that to be true....CoL is pretty much the same, car might be cheaper but the insurance/tax is much higher etc and no way has housing been cheaper here, rent up in Maine perhaps, but then so would rent in Wales or up north.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Both my mil and my husband's aunt have and have done it for years. My husband's aunt works for Tescos, she was not allowed to take time off for our wedding, 10 years ago because it wasn't already booked. My mil is a nurse, her holidays have to be booked a year in advance, it has been that way since I've known her, 12 years now.
definitely isn't the norm that...in fact I don't think I've known anyone in the UK that has had to give more than a couple weeks notice for a holiday....probably isn't universal, but to say that the giving a years notice is the norm would be well off the mark.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by meauxna
I realize what Lisa wrote; I'm informing her that it also takes place in the US -if indeed it does take place in the UK. Since it's likely industry-specific, maybe someone who hasn't worked in a shop doesn't know about it.
The industry I'm thinking of is retail, which does dovetail with what she said.

I conclude that it very likely goes on in both countries. Some people have to schedule (with the employer) when their vacation time from work will be, at the beginning of the year.

What's the policy in your industry?
I've a mate who used to work at HMV for years, he never had to give any more than a weeks notice for a holiday of a week, would have to give a few weeks notice if he wanted to take his whole years worth though
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. I was referring to working in the UK where I worked in the manufacturing/engineering sector, and it is definitely common practice to have 'first come first serve'. And believe me, it was dog eat dog with the guys that had children who wanted some of the school holidays off.
I did a stint at a car parts manufacturer, they didn't have that requirement, they just hired temps to cover things. You only have to give a long notice if you were going to be gone for 2 weeks or more in one go.

Definitely industry specific, but not something I would call all that common across the country.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

In an attempt to rescue this thread from AmerLisa's normal modus operandi of sidetracking threads into ratholes, here's my take on the "American dream": it's far less obtainable than it was 25 years ago for the simple reason that social mobility is evaporating in the face of global competition. A quarter of a century ago, it was pretty easy for someone with a blue collar job to have steady employment and a very comfortable lifestyle. Nowadays, not so much: many of those jobs have gone forever and the financial pressures for individuals are that much higher from things like health care costs etc. And the cost of getting educated has far outpaced the rate of inflation, with the additional costs weighing down graduates in debt. With a graduate unemployment rate of about 35%, we now have a situation where large numbers of folks who should used to be illustrative of social mobility are now swamped with debt and lacking healthcare.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
definitely isn't the norm that...in fact I don't think I've known anyone in the UK that has had to give more than a couple weeks notice for a holiday....probably isn't universal, but to say that the giving a years notice is the norm would be well off the mark.
Why would it be hard to think it wasn't the norm for retail (grocery stores in this case) or nurses? My mil is not working in a nhs hospital, she works in a convalescent hospital, is that different? Don't know. But she has to plan her year out for her holidays. My husband's aunt is the same way. First hand knowledge when I worked for Sainsbury's, I was going to have to do the same thing.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
In an attempt to rescue this thread from AmerLisa's normal modus operandi of sidetracking threads into ratholes,
Nice try.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
In an attempt to rescue this thread from AmerLisa's normal modus operandi of sidetracking threads into ratholes, here's my take on the "American dream": it's far less obtainable than it was 25 years ago for the simple reason that social mobility is evaporating in the face of global competition. A quarter of a century ago, it was pretty easy for someone with a blue collar job to have steady employment and a very comfortable lifestyle. Nowadays, not so much: many of those jobs have gone forever and the financial pressures for individuals are that much higher from things like health care costs etc. And the cost of getting educated has far outpaced the rate of inflation, with the additional costs weighing down graduates in debt. With a graduate unemployment rate of about 35%, we now have a situation where large numbers of folks who should used to be illustrative of social mobility are now swamped with debt and lacking healthcare.
Much better to sidetrack the thread then to have to read your doom and gloom. You're depressing.... But what I think is quite funny, with all that doom and gloom you still live here. And I bet you wouldn't leave, regardless of how bad it got.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Nice try.
Doom and gloom or my sidetrack...... I'm sure there's a poll here somewhere.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Doom and gloom or my sidetrack...... I'm sure there's a poll here somewhere.
So you don't see any financial problems here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.