Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Gezza
On about:"Right now, this country is in the throes of finding out that it no longer runs the world, and never will again...."?
Well, all who always denied the US being the best country in the world are finally about to see the world run by.... ehh, who exactly? any thoughts?
I do have some thoughts. The next few years will be much more multilateral like 19th Century Europe. A lot of people that whine about the US being so dominant, IMO, don't realise how good they had it. The US brought peace and stability and wealth to a lot of this planet, and its gradual decline is something everyone should be much more worried about than they actually are.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:16 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
I don't get how it's too crowded to live here. Maybe if he stopped living in California, Florida, New England, Maryland, NoVA, NYC, and all the other major cities, he'll find it's not crowded at all

As for not having kids in the U.S. as in American, I want to get out of here before I start thinking of raising a family. Come here and have your fun but for God's sake don't have a family here. Our standards and everything is pretty much like a minimum standard. All the European exchange students that come here always say how easy our schools are, and our senior year in high school, is their 10th year according to my German, Russian, and French exchange students that I have met over the years. This country is going to the wolves, and while the lot of you guys are fortunate enough that you can just pack up and leave when the going gets rough, I, bloody yank, et. all have to stay here and weather the storm.
Fortunate, yes - but it doesn't come cheap yer know - that freedom to just jet when the going gets rough.
Besides, its odd how you never hear of you yanks moving to Canada. Perhaps its difficult for you to get in? You wouldn't think so - considering proximity.

Have you thought of that option?
You do sound the same, anyway.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
This country is going to the wolves, and while the lot of you guys are fortunate enough that you can just pack up and leave when the going gets rough, I, bloody yank, et. all have to stay here and weather the storm.
Have to stay here?

Tell you what, you can have my spot on the lifeboat, I'll go down with the ship.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thread is stupid. The American Dream (it's not even called the US dream ) was never about middle class people moving here and becoming rich. It was always about poor (and by poor I mean POOR) people from the US and other nations being able to achieve a level of comfort and a the hope of a better standard of living for their children.

Is the American dream still viable? I don't know. But at least get a grip about what it ever was folks.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This whole thread is stupid. The American Dream (it's not even called the US dream ) was never about middle class people moving here and becoming rich. It was always about poor (and by poor I mean POOR) people from the US and other nations being able to achieve a level of comfort and a the hope of a better standard of living for their children.

Is the American dream still viable? I don't know. But at least get a grip about what it ever was folks.
That's what I said on 5 August 2007.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You can't copyright the obvious.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:49 pm
Unmitigated Gall

You can't copyright the obvious.
True, but is it?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

So the 'American Dream' is just for mericuns?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:52 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Re-read please.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:52 pm
WTF?

True, but is it?
Apparently not.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:58 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Yes. All American Dreams are passed out at your oath ceremony.

If you didn't get one, I'd call about a refund.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Re-read please.
Oops! that'll teach me...maybe
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes. All American Dreams are passed out at your oath ceremony.

If you didn't get one, I'd call about a refund.
I think I cheated, got mine before USC
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:16 pm
WTF?

Oops! that'll teach me...maybe
Funny thing is ... I almost forgot to mention Americans.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny thing is ... I almost forgot to mention Americans.
As long as you are suitably embarrassed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.