Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This whole thread is stupid. The American Dream (it's not even called the US dream ) was never about middle class people moving here and becoming rich. It was always about poor (and by poor I mean POOR) people from the US and other nations being able to achieve a level of comfort and a the hope of a better standard of living for their children.

Is the American dream still viable? I don't know. But at least get a grip about what it ever was folks.
Not to be a pedant (it's so ugly) but that isn't what the thread title/question is.

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Fortunate, yes - but it doesn't come cheap yer know - that freedom to just jet when the going gets rough.
Besides, its odd how you never hear of you yanks moving to Canada. Perhaps its difficult for you to get in? You wouldn't think so - considering proximity.

Have you thought of that option?
You do sound the same, anyway.
Well, what's proximity doing for Canadians and Mexicans who want in to the US? Nothing, unless you want to sneak. Canada is hard to get into. Until they changed the citizenship law last year, I didn't have a chance, even with half my bloodline born & reared there.
When Yanks want to move, they go to a different part of the US.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Not to be a pedant (it's so ugly) but that isn't what the thread title/question is.

<snip>

Maybe/maybe not - but it's a bit of what the thread devolved into and it most certainly is a huge misunderstanding that causes a lot of immigrants angst.

I find the use of the term "US Dream" or "American Dream" problematic. If the questioner was from certain areas in Africa, Mexico or South America (just a few examples) then both the question and the answer would mean different things.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Is this what most people would consider the American dream. The ability of an ordinary family to succeed by hard work.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index..._a_love_t.html
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Is this what most people would consider the American dream. The ability of an ordinary family to succeed by hard work.

Loved that story, thanx for posting it, so nice to see a 'positive' story. I think Keith died of a broken heart, not the infection etc.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:25 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely story, but I now look like an idiot blubbering at work.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I loved that story. I think they've been trying to focus on the positives at the ole O-gonian. I liked this one too.

Daddy's car
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well, what's proximity doing for Canadians and Mexicans who want in to the US? Nothing, unless you want to sneak. Canada is hard to get into. Until they changed the citizenship law last year, I didn't have a chance, even with half my bloodline born & reared there.
NAFTA works both ways and works pretty well for a lot of people...sure it's not permanent of a solution, but it's a way...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Dont asuppose anyone cut and paste everything before it was deleted on page 22 and could PM it to me?

Bloody Mods.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Dont asuppose anyone cut and paste everything before it was deleted on page 22 and could PM it to me?

Bloody Mods.
I guess mods are the only ones who can see them to cut/paste. Darnitall anyway.

It wasn't anything like your best work anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
Hi Everyone.

Is a life in the USA still a dream worth pursuing or is it a bad idea now?

With various cutbacks in spending (health, education, etc) is it worth it?

I'm looking to emigrate to the US on an EB-5 visa in a few years as admittedly, the US is where I would prefer to have my children born and raised as I believe they would have more opportunities.

But......?
I would really give it thought , I have been here for twenty years and raised children here , stay in the UK
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
I would really give it thought , I have been here for twenty years and raised children here , stay in the UK
You sound just like me. 20 years three kids and I still and to go home.
US isn't the only place for opportunities for the kids, I believe they actually train doctors, lawyers, engineers etc in the UK too
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I loved that story. I think they've been trying to focus on the positives at the ole O-gonian. I liked this one too.

Daddy's car
Hadn't seen that one.

What I find fascinating is I came from a country where the people who built it died hundreds if not thousands of years ago. Here those people are still in living memory a lot of the time, their immediate family members are still here.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:20 pm

Hadn't seen that one.

What I find fascinating is I came from a country where the people who built it died hundreds if not thousands of years ago. Here those people are still in living memory a lot of the time, their immediate family members are still here.
Yeah, it's something, isn't it? My neighbor passed away this year and we've been helping the family sort things out. Lloyd had a big machine (saw or drill, can't recall right now) that his grandparents (he worked their honey and farm market business) brought out on the Oregon Trail. Covered wagon & the lot. They donated the equipment to the OR Historical Society.

The recent stories about the Chinese settlers have been very interesting too; what a contribution they made to the West!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime

Bloody Mods.
Sorry I missed it
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:30 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't aware that Canada was tricky to get into, but I suspect the average American wouldn't even consider leaving the country in hard times.
Why wouldn't they?
Perhaps because historically the US has been a place to come to and not go away from in order to find a better life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.