Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by dakota44
I might be a bit unfair towards the French...but as a nation they do seem to have a superiority complex.
that would be the germans...just don't mention the war...
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:30 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I was raised to be a moral, upstanding citizen. I duty my civic duty when called upon. I vote in each and every election and primary.
In which case you are comfortably in the minority in the USA, going by the voter turnout for the last midterms (37% for the house election, 30% for the senate). Clearly there are a lot of people here who are sadly lacking in the upstanding morals department.

You have the right to freedom of expression but that freedom also includes the obligation to participate in the government that grants you that freedom.
Since when? You said it yourself in the same post - it's an opportunity, not an obligation.

Running away to live outside of its boundaries and not participating by voting is not being a citizen and that goes for whatever your nationality is.
So whenever you meet someone who does not fully participate in the electoral process (and it must happen a lot, since we're talking about more than two thirds of the electorate) are they also subjected to rather self-righteous lectures about being true citizens?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
Except for Giuliani versus Hillary.
obama..
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
In which case you are comfortably in the minority in the USA, going by the voter turnout for the last midterms (37% for the house election, 30% for the senate). Clearly there are a lot of people here who are sadly lacking in the upstanding morals department.

Since when? You said it yourself in the same post - it's an opportunity, not an obligation.

So whenever you meet someone who does not fully participate in the electoral process (and it must happen a lot, since we're talking about more than two thirds of the electorate) are they also subjected to rather self-righteous lectures about being true citizens?
I'd like your source for those numbers...because, frankly, I think you're out to lunch. Voter turnout in many places was so high they had to keep polling stations open past the normal closing time so people could vote. In some areas it was low because the race was a forgone conclusion well before the pols opened. In fact, some seats were not even contested. So pony up the source please.

That said...Americans do not turn out to vote in the numbers they should. In many countries voting is mandatory and a fine is levied if you fail to vote. Just shows that the U.S. isn't the only country with an apathetic voter population.

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 6th 2007 at 4:23 am.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue
If you want good schools don't live in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg school district. The schools are bursting at the seams and there is not enough funding. Try the Fort Mill/York County schools in SC. Only a few miles from Charlotte and by all accounts they have the best school system in SC. Plus the property taxes are much cheaper there.
CMS does seem to have a lot of problems. I see the news yesterday was they under reported suspensions by 86%. Though suspensions were given for infractions such as tardiness and cursing. Completely unreasonable, imo.

Ft. Mill elementary is frozen enrollment due to exceeding capacity. Gold and Riverview are nearly at capacity, so expected to freeze enrollment. Clover district allows paddling, according to my research.

Seems the infrastructure cannot support this massive growth in Charlotte/Union County/Lake Norman/York County.

Don't know how much longer the lower tax benefit will be in South Carolina (compared with North). With the number of tax referendums I see coming down the pike to build roads, new schools (again, b/c of the huge growth), I think the gap is narrowing. School millage is still removed from SC prop taxes, but the increased sales tax and these referendums are going to make it a wash soon, imo.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
To the OP...I presume you completed a US tax return every year you lived in the UK.
Yes, absolutely.

And I'm not renouncing my US citizenship. Illegal to do that for tax reasons anyway. (not directed at you, Jerseygirl, just including this is in my post response)
Old Apr 6th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

I don't see why instead of a pledge to a flag they can't just have a pledge to God.
The Pledge includes 'one nation under God', as you're no doubt aware.

But didn't include that phrase until around 1952, iirc. Extremists added it in there.

No, I don't like this part of the Pledge at all.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

I'm very sorry that you are so negative and hateful in your mind and heart to a country that allowed you to do what you so wanted to do, turn your back on it, not participate in changing its government and bad mouth it at every opportunity you are given. I'm also so very sorry that you are being forced to return to a country that you hate.
Thanks for your sympathy and best of luck wishes to me.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

According to the recent health study at my work I am suffering from "chronic depression" to. News to me but now these bloody counsellors keep sending me letters each day to try and set up appointments.
You're not too far from Charlotte. I know just the thing for our depression: Ann Coulter. She is coming to South Charlotte on May 10th. Let's go! For a measly$100 we can meet Coulter in the flesh!

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter -- widely condemned last month for referring to N.C. Democrat John Edwards as a "faggot" -- is coming to Matthews on May 10 to speak at a conservative Christian seminary.

Coulter's use of gutter language drew protests even from fellow conservatives, including GOP presidential candidates Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

But Southern Evangelical Seminary invited her anyway.

"Who among us hasn't said something intemperate from time to time?" school President Alex McFarland said in a statement. "The bottom line is that (her) book `Godless' is a powerful one, and the message she will be bringing, `The Consequences of a Godless Nation,' is a message that needs to be heard."

The book's full title is "Godless: The Church of Liberalism." Tickets are $55.

For details, go to www.eplanettravel.com and click on "Veritas Lecture Series." The first 100 people to pay an additional $100 can attend a private reception afterward.

The seminary, which teaches a literal interpretation of the Bible, was co-founded in 1992 by then-Calvary Church Pastor Ross Rhoads. After her slur about presidential candidate Edwards, a former U.S. senator from North Carolina, some newspapers dropped her syndicated column.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/254/story/74916.html
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be on top of the different school districts and such, but I thought I'd mention this site anyway just in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Charlotte/NC

Allows you to compare basic school statistics between different schools, districts, cities, etc. Sometimes have parent reviews that might be helpful.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

There's always homeschooling, that way your children get educated the way you want them to and they don't have to say the pledge. Oh and while you're at it throw some ripe tomatoes at Anne Coulter for me please
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
There's always homeschooling, that way your children get educated the way you want them to and they don't have to say the pledge. Oh and while you're at it throw some ripe tomatoes at Anne Coulter for me please
there is no pledge said in my kids school. Might be the area i dont know.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like your source for those numbers...because, frankly, I think you're out to lunch. Voter turnout in many places was so high they had to keep polling stations open past the normal closing time so people could vote. In some areas it was low because the race was a forgone conclusion well before the pols opened. In fact, some seats were not even contested. So pony up the source please.
Originally from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ctions%2C_2006

This one says it was "slightly over 40%"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15621554/

It seems we can argue about the precise figures until the crack of doom, but it all seems to point to the turnout being comfortably less than 50% for the midterms.

For all Federal elections up 1960 - 2004 (shows midterms turnout generally well under 40% of voting-age population - it seems about 30% of the voting age population doesn't even register to vote):
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html
Source: Federal Election Commission. Data drawn from Congressional Research Service reports, Election Data Services Inc., and State Election Offices.

That said...Americans do not turn out to vote in the numbers they should. In many countries voting is mandatory and a fine is levied if you fail to vote. Just shows that the U.S. isn't the only country with an apathetic voter population.
Absolutely - in Britain I believe the voter turnout is generally no better than the US.

Last edited by elfman; Apr 6th 2007 at 12:18 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Voter turnout is often tied to the opinion, right or wrong, that the results are a forgone conclusion in many races. That's one reason I don't like opinion polls. They tend, in the case where they predict a landslide victory for one candidate, to discourage the voters from bothering. After all, why run out to vote if you already know the likely outcome? The concept of your vote making a difference is moot. It generally won't. You look at some Congressional seats that have been held by the same clown for 15, 20, 30 years. Most folks in those districts don't bother to go to the polls. There is no need to, in their minds. I would bet that if there were term limits and you had to vote for new faces at least every two terms, voter turnout would increase.

I'm also no fan of any election results being broadcast before all polls in the U.S. close. You can bet that when Presidential elections roll around, if the election is sewn up by the time the west coast goes to the polls, people stay home. Who can blame them. Canada no longer allows any broadcasting of election results until after all polls have closed. Good idea.

But when I become Benevolent Dictator, elections won't be necessary.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:53 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My son could leave the room...or just stand...but he never minded doing the pledge...he did plan on becoming an American anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.