Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by haggerwood
except for England
Clearly England is flawless. not
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:23 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I was saying the most other countries have their own flaws as well.
England doesn't have any flaws that I know of.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:24 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We're the same. Roland Hulme and whathisname from yesterday...criticised the UK and most of us jumped on them.

When push comes to shove most will defend their country. It's a bit like criticising your relatives...it's OK for you to do it but you don't like it when someone else does.
First time for everything ........ I agree.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
See, this is why you can't discuss politics with American people. They can't take any criticism of their country....even from their own.

Of course, "I" as an American can. That is not the point. She hates the US. She does not want to live here. She wants to continue living in England. She does not want to be an American. That is her right. It is not a matter of politics. Politics change with each election. That is the beauty of your county and mine. The citizens have the opportunity to vote for someone that can possibly change the way the country is governed. But to turn your back on it because you don't like the government rather than work within its political structure for a change that you feel is needed is wrong. At least in my opinion.

This person is not talking only politics. She is talking lifestyles and cultures. There is much wrong with this country and I don't like many of its political policies but I still would say the pledge. The pledge is not for the politicans and what it represents at the moment but rather it is a pledge to the country whose's constitution allows you to change what you don't like.

FWIW, I was raised to be a moral, upstanding citizen. I duty my civic duty when called upon. I vote in each and every election and primary. On a personal front, I am a moral person as well. I am respectful of others and their property. I do not take without giving back. I have raised my children to be the same. We are Americans and there are more Americans like myself then there are Americans that are not.

You have the right to freedom of expression but that freedom also includes the obligation to participate in the government that grants you that freedom. Running away to live outside of its boundaries and not participating by voting is not being a citizen and that goes for whatever your nationality is. Unless you are from a country that denies you the right to vote in absentia when you are no longer a legal resident of that country, i.e. Canada, you should participate in your country's government by voting. The changes your vote might make happen will effect you whether you return to live there or not.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

See, this is why you can't discuss politics with American people. They can't take any criticism of their country....even from their own.

And Americans weren't the only ones who died fighting the second world war. There were many Canadians, Rhodesians, South Africans, Australians, etc... (whose countries weren't involved in any way) etc..who fought and died too.
You really should learn to read comprehensively. I said that as well.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:26 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We're the same. Roland Hulme and whathisname from yesterday...criticised the UK and most of us jumped on them.

When push comes to shove most will defend their country. It's a bit like criticising your relatives...it's OK for you to do it but you don't like it when someone else does.
I didn't see anyone ripping Ronald a new one for criticizing the Uk in quite the same way as Rete did with the OP.

I am not only quite capable of taking criticism of my country, but giving it out as well. I think your generalization about all American people is a little off the mark. It is a good country with terrible flaws...just like most other countries.
I should have said that most Americans can't take any criticism of their country?
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:28 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I have rarely considered the comments of a person who 'hates' to rise to the level of a 'criticism'.
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
You really should learn to read comprehensively. I said that as well.

Sorry, didn't see that bit.
Banned

I didn't see anyone ripping Ronald a new one for criticizing the Uk in quite the same way as Rete did with the OP.

Are you kidding me ? We crucified Roland !
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not say we did TT...but it wasn't just one of us...it was many. I was trying to point out that most people do not like their country being criticisied.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Of course, "I" as an American can. That is not the point. She hates the US. She does not want to live here. She wants to continue living in England. She does not want to be an American. That is her right. It is not a matter of politics. Politics change with each election. That is the beauty of your county and mine. The citizens have the opportunity to vote for someone that can possibly change the way the country is governed. But to turn your back on it because you don't like the government rather than work within its political structure for a change that you feel is needed is wrong. At least in my opinion.

This person is not talking only politics. She is talking lifestyles and cultures. There is much wrong with this country and I don't like many of its political policies but I still would say the pledge. The pledge is not for the politicans and what it represents at the moment but rather it is a pledge to the country whose's constitution allows you to change what you don't like.

FWIW, I was raised to be a moral, upstanding citizen. I duty my civic duty when called upon. I vote in each and every election and primary. On a personal front, I am a moral person as well. I am respectful of others and their property. I do not take without giving back. I have raised my children to be the same. We are Americans and there are more Americans like myself then there are Americans that are not.

You have the right to freedom of expression but that freedom also includes the obligation to participate in the government that grants you that freedom. Running away to live outside of its boundaries and not participating by voting is not being a citizen and that goes for whatever your nationality is. Unless you are from a country that denies you the right to vote in absentia when you are no longer a legal resident of that country, i.e. Canada, you should participate in your country's government by voting. The changes your vote might make happen will effect you whether you return to live there or not.
Is it OK to agree with both sides of this argument ? You're all doing so well
with your points today !
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Clearly England is flawless. not
Of course it would be if it wasn't for all the Brits in it.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:36 am
Concierge

I should have said that most Americans can't take any criticism of their country?
It is your opinion that I ripped her a new one. I didn't. I verbalized what I saw she wrote ... albeit between the lines.

It is you that have carried this to the extreme, not I.

I wonder who put the bug in hubby's ear to come to the US. Where they living in such gentile poverty in the UK that he felt that the opportunity to relocate and improve their financial lot in life was necessary for them to keep their financial heads above water. Why does he feel, and she doesn't, that they need to move to a country she abhors in order to live a better, i.e. more affluent lifestyle.

Ask yourself what your reaction would be to a Brit who is in tears because they were being forced to return to the UK against their wishes and better judgment to live a life that they feel is inferior to the one they now have. And be honest about it.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I still object to the word "most". Most will certainly take exception if that criticism is posed in an insulting manner. But far more than you realize are willing to talk openly and reasonably about the flaws in the U.S. In case you missed it...the vast majority of Americans are now openly criticizing their President and his polices as well as the war in Iraq. They do not seem to be ashamed to have the world see or hear them protest and criticize. What else are they supposed to criticize? The country as a whole? A tad unfair if that is what you expect.

Every country has its population segment that will never see anything wrong with their nation. France might lead the list of the worst offenders in that category. But by and large, more Americans than you are willing to admit do not hesitate to openly criticize their nation. And they do it out of love of country and concern for its future and reputation. But there will always be blind patriots who never see the dark side.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:39 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

But there will always be blind patriots who never see the dark side.
And blind haters who never see the good....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.