US names

Old May 14th 2005, 3:08 am
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road
Default Re: US names

Well I thought when having my children I would stop with the boring names that all my friends where calling theirs, like Jake and Harry. So my boy is called Truman-James and my daughter is called Montanna and they love it and now we live in the USA we have met one other Montana (spelt with one N) Having children is a special thing and I wanted to give my kids special names. And I'd do it all again if only hubby would give in LOL

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I have an ex-coworker who is now living in WA. She's Canadian (Quebecoise actually) and her husband is Australian. Her daughters (both American born) are named Indiana and Sage!

I think both names are pretty odd but perhaps she mixes with a crowd whose children have equally exotic names.

NC Penguin
Old May 14th 2005, 6:53 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

I like the inventiveness of Americans, though when I first came to the U.S. it took me a while to figure out that a name like D'Anne was pronounced "Deanne" and not "Dan"!

Personally, although I think some of the newly-invented names can sound quite nice, I stuck to good old-fashioned names for my two daughters and gave them slightly more daring middle names. The good thing is that in the U.S. the convention seems to be if you don't like your first name, you can just put the first name as an initial and use your middle name .
Old May 15th 2005, 3:35 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I was one of an endless number of Amys in the US and my mother also swore that no one she knew was named Amy until AFTER she named me...
Sounds like your parents knew my parents! That's the same thing about naming me Jennifer. They said they'd never heard of it before and when they came across just thought it was pretty and unique. Kinda missed the target big-time, there!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know a few Gemmas here, but no Tamsins, for example (Tamsin is a variant on Thomasine!). A very few hip Siobhans. Devin/Devon is used as both a boy's name and a girl's name.
Gemma -- now that's another name that I'd NEVER heard before I travelled to NZ in 2000. I still have never met anyone in the States with that name. The only Tamsin I'm familiar with is the chick who played Mel on "Eastenders". I've never personally known any Siobhans or Devins (male or female) but I know there are people in the States with those names.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I went to school with a guy (who I hope doesn't read this site!) whos last name was Gay.
So did I -- and to make it worse, his first name was Marion. Ouch!

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I heard on the radio once a family with the lastname 'Leer' called their daughter 'Crystal Shandy', why do parents do these things?
My mom once knew a woman named Candy Barr -- I don't know for sure but I think Candy was just a nickname. At least I hope it was...

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
There's a weatherman called Stone Phillips...
Are you referring to Stone Phillips from Dateline NBC? Or is this ANOTHER Stone Phillips? Because that would be pretty funny...

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Actually what's with American's giving their twins rhyming names?
People do it with non-twin siblings, too. I can't stand it, either. I also get annoyed when people either 1) give their children names which all start with the same letter; and/or 2) give their children names which start with the same letter as their surname. (No offense to anyone out there who's done either of those!)

~ Jenney
Old May 15th 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Location: NY for now.. in three year's time perhaps back to London!!!
Nylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really niceNylon is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbark
I work in pre-school and also see some ridiculous names. Kyler, Skyler (boy), Skyla (girl), Zane, Tesla (apparently a rock band?), Hunter, Gunner, Boyd, Mason, Karsun (what's with the spelling??), Dawson (no prizes for guessing where that one came from!), McKenna, Casyn, Kamryn, to name but a few.
Just had to de-lurk on this one since I saw the list. Ooops guess the name we decided for our baby girl is on your list.. No worries, no offense taken. My name is unusal and I didn't want a common name so I picked a unique name for our girl who's due in September -- Hunter Anya
Old May 15th 2005, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

There's an AFL player called Stacy Evans, yes it's a bloke.