US names

Old May 12th 2005, 3:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US names

H.M.Queen Adelaide Consort of William IV 1792-1849...
Attached Thumbnails US names-adelai01.gif  
Old May 12th 2005, 3:07 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

couldnt resist this one.
some of the people that come in to the office....
Frosty Burr
cemetary ( insisted it is pronounced sa-mah-te ree)
Latrene
Bribane
Sameesha
loads of them, to many to name here lol.
Old May 12th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a shame when parents give their kids normal names but miss pell them to be unusual. Cant they see the child is going to spend the rest of its life having to spell their name to everyone.

David Bowie's son is called Zowie Bowie. Zowie changed his name to Joe.
Old May 12th 2005, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
I just discovered 2 guys in my firm who are called Shane Wanker and Randy Day...... what were their parents thinking!!!
It's a good job that Mr and Mrs Wanker weren't fans of Shaking Stevens
Old May 12th 2005, 3:43 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
However the biggest surprise is that young children are given English sounding surnames as their christian name. Like Parker or Walker or even Lane. When I have mentioned the simularity to friends they didnt seem to know what I was talking about. Has anyone else noticed this? Where did these names come from?
This has been an on-going trend for the past 20-25 years or so. I get annoyed by seeing all these "Morgan Smith" and "Madison Lange" names because, honestly, I don't like having to guess what gender that person is!

My first husband, Ian and his wife just had their first baby, a girl they named Rafferty Valencia. I love the Valencia part, but Rafferty? For a girl? Just too harsh for me. Apparently it's a family name. They're going to call her "Ray" but spell it "Rae" -- even more confusing. Poor child.

Speaking of Ian, he never knew any other Ians while growing up. He always liked that, because it made him feel unique. He didn't like that fact that no one could pronounce it or spell it, but that isn't a problem anymore, because so many people have kids named Ian now.

Of course, I experienced the flip side of that. My name, Jennifer, was the number one girl name in America for three decades straight. My parents said they picked the name Jennifer when I was born back in 1972 because it "was pretty but wasn't that common". Umm, Mom and Dad, were you paying attention AT ALL!?! Jennifer became so popular that now it's like the anti-christ of names -- there's even a best-selling baby name book called "Beyond Jennifer and Jason"!

In fact, the reason that I spell my nickname JENNEY is because I had so many Jennys in my classes -- usually 7 or 8 in a classroom of 20 kids -- that we were always getting confused. This was a particular problem in middle school when we were passing gossipy notes back and forth, and we couldn't keep all the Jennys straight. So we picked different spellings -- I chose Jenney and it stuck, I've used it ever since.

My brother, David, has now continued the give-your-child-the-most-popular-name-in-the-country trend by naming his son Jacob and daughter Emily -- the most popular American boy and girl names for the past few years. Good job with that creativity, Dave! *thumbs up*

~ Jenney

ps. I remember seeing racks of keychains with names on them in New Zealand and England and discovering how different name trends are compared to the US. For instance, I had never heard of the name Philippa before; didn't even know how to pronounce it. And who names their kid Clive? What kind of name is that?!! On the other hand, I always thought the name Nigel was pretty cool, until Mark told me that it's considered nerdy in Britain. So, what do you know?!! (My apologies to anyone named Clive or Nigel, no offense intended!)
Old May 12th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

You so right with the key chain part. Thats where you can see what kind of names are popular with a nation. There were three other Lisa's in my year at school and I hated that and I always swore I would never do that to my child. I remember in assembly one time the headmaster holding up the contents of the lost property basket and pulling out a pair of wellie boots with 'Lisa' inscribed in them. He made all Lisa's stand up amist loads of giggles throughout the school. I was beetroot. He asked each Lisa in turn if they were theirs. Each said no including me. I knew they were mine but there was no way I was owning up to anything!

Talk about crazy if my mum had had her way she wanted to call me Dennet as in Janet but D instead. Thank god my Dad put his foot down.

I know a lady called Deniece who called her daughter Berniece...
Old May 12th 2005, 4:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
... And who names their kid Clive? What kind of name is that?!! On the other hand, I always thought the name Nigel was pretty cool, until Mark told me that it's considered nerdy in Britain. So, what do you know?!! (My apologies to anyone named Clive or Nigel, no offense intended!)
Clive Owen, Clive Woodward...there's a few, it ain't a bad name...called the rat Clive after Woodward

But it is amusing how different names are popular in different countries and the variations there are...and perhaps only really noticed more horrendously stupid names over here because quitea bit of the extended family have kids...
Old May 12th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best friends back in England told me there is a girl called Yankshire in her daughter's school! Really!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Slighly off topic...

One of my friends is pregnant and was talking about what name to call the kid...

They had settled on John Thomas up until the point that I explained what a John Thomas was in England.
Old May 12th 2005, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I am called Amanda and my 8 year old daughter is called Laura. Every time I have to give our names to anyone they instantly call me Laura and her Amanda. One woman commented that Amanda is a very modern name here and that Laura is a very old fashioned name. I think it's the opposite way round in England. When I was young Amanda was quite a common name and there were quite a few little girls called Laura in my daughter's UK school.
Old May 12th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by g1ant
Barnstoneworth ???
Be fair, the kid had a 2nd name too, United.
Old May 12th 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our Neighbours just got a beautiful little puppy and told us they hadn't decided upon a name yet. The dog is a female German Shorthaired Pointer. So off I went to the internet and pulled up German girls names (I was so worried they would call it cookie or biscuit or something daft) So I proudly gave her 4 sheets of names and couldnt help pointing out a few that I thought were lovely A few days later they told me that they had decided upon a name and it was German. Oh great I said and what will it be...they decided upon 'Nixie'!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I went to school with a guy (who I hope doesn't read this site!) whos last name was Gay. That's not too bad, a little unfortunate when you are 12 or 13, but it's what his parents did to him and his brothers that I still can't believe. His full name was Francis Ian Roy Steven Thomas Gay. now if you spell out his initials you will see what I mean. His brothers - Simon, Theodore and Filipe (there may have been another but I can't remember). I'll give you 3 guesses as to what their initials were.
Old May 12th 2005, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Yes, I noticed that too. I recently went to a kids story time. Most of the kids have these unusual names, one I remember is Cooper - a cooper is a barrell maker?! One lady that my girlfreind knows at playgroup called her son 'Lucky', that's his actual name FFS!! Maybe the dog is called John?!?!?!
a woman back in England I know called her son 'Fox'...eh?
Old May 12th 2005, 5:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I always thought the name Nigel was pretty cool, until Mark told me that it's considered nerdy in Britain.
What, more than Rupert?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.