Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US equity release for UK investment

US equity release for UK investment

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US equity release for UK investment

Originally Posted by rushman
The end of the inheritance of money yes, but the beginning of the inheritance of wisdom.

Never bet on the favourite, eh? Or never do an all-ways?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Never bet on the favourite, eh? Or never do an all-ways?
Never bet on anything but yourself. That was my lesson
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Could buy a really nice place here for that money, would have an inside loo and hot running water too i expect.
Couldn't I just come & live with you?!?! It would really save me some money! Let me know!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:15 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You could have bought a pretty nice place in metropolitan Phoenix for that dosh 2 years ago. But we've just had a bubbling market. Liz was sensible to stay out of it.
Yeah, it was mental mental chicken oriental for quite some time. Houses were never on the market long enough for an open house, most of the time the 'For Sale' sign didn't even get put up! On the market for 2 days, then sold! Crazy!

Just wished we'd have come over & bought a house when we got married (5 years ago), even if it just sat there, we would have made a killing by now. Oh well, hindsight's a b*tch!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:16 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
Who's LIz??
Tis moi!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, it was mental mental chicken oriental for quite some time. Houses were never on the market long enough for an open house, most of the time the 'For Sale' sign didn't even get put up! On the market for 2 days, then sold! Crazy!

Just wished we'd have come over & bought a house when we got married (5 years ago), even if it just sat there, we would have made a killing by now. Oh well, hindsight's a b*tch!
Silly season it was! And sensible people stayed way out. If you hadn't made your investment before it started, you were way too late.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Not recommending anything for anyone specifically. Horses for courses!

If you require the discipline of P&I, go for it. If you like the flexibility of interest-only, go for it. If you want to take the risk of a loan with in-built negative amortization and you fully understand what you're doing and the main reason you're doing it is not kust to buy beyond your ability, go ahead.

I was saying what my favourite mortgage was; that is my best loan for my particular circumstances.
Didn't mean to irritate you, I just carn't like an interest only loan and I believe that most people do get them to buy beyond their means and that with house prices stagnating they are a very risky investment. I see their flexibility as a major drawback as most people don't have the discipline to make P payments,
If you fully understand the issues with an I only loan and don't intend to be in the house for very long I can see an argument for them, not a good one in my opinion, but beauty is in the eye of the loan holder I suppose.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Couldn't I just come & live with you?!?! It would really save me some money! Let me know!
Could be arranged but you would have to do certain..ermmm....favours.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Could be arranged but you would have to do certain..ermmm....favours.
Why of course Master, but only if you're a good boy!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Why of course Master, but only if you're a good boy!
Do you really, honestly think there's the slightest chance of me being a good boy?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:00 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by nun
Didn't mean to irritate you, I just carn't like an interest only loan and I believe that most people do get them to buy beyond their means and that with house prices stagnating they are a very risky investment. I see their flexibility as a major drawback as most people don't have the discipline to make P payments,
If you fully understand the issues with an I only loan and don't intend to be in the house for very long I can see an argument for them, not a good one in my opinion, but beauty is in the eye of the loan holder I suppose.
The great thing about the US is the sheer number of products. I might be inclined to agree with you about taking a loan beyond your means for a depreciating asset such as a car (as many do) just to keep up with the Joneses, but real estate is a different kettle of fish.

For example, if Partystar had taken an interest-only loan 5 years ago (as she wish she had) on a 4-bedroom property in metropolitan Phoenix, she would have probably made 150k or so by now, enough to buy a new property outright say she were to relocate to Kansas. If she had played safe and had a 15 or 30 amortized, she might have had enough extra equity at closing to buy a widescreen plasma TV as well for the new house in Kansas, but she might also have starved for the last 5 years to make the payments. Was it worth paying the principal, too? Probably not.

Don't agree that a short-term loan is a necessary pre-requisite for interest only, either. For example, here in Phoenix rental prices have remained pretty static over a period when property prices have risen rapidly. If I were, for example, anxious to get into the rental market since I predict rising rents will now follow, I might be tempted to take a long-term interest-only loan solely so I could finance the purchase from the income right from the beginning and not use my capital. Later, when rents surely rise, I could, among other options, choose to pay off the principal with the increased income.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:04 pm
Septicity

Do you really, honestly think there's the slightest chance of me being a good boy?

This should stop you...

Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

This should stop you...

Seller financed?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:07 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Seller financed?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

This should stop you...

Nope!! I'd just grease it inside and out first.

I just noticed the little hole that the poop comes out of.....now why am i thinking of cake decorating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.