Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US equity release for UK investment

US equity release for UK investment

Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US equity release for UK investment

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I actually did just the opposite, i.e. got equity out of my flat in the UK

I'm using it to purchase 7 duplexes that each have $6-700 a month +ve cash flow.

resulting in $4000 a month to me in taxable income

if its a good investment Its worth it.

However, currency fluctuations can mess with your deal and 'cashing out' beyond a certain level can sting you with PMI

If your long-term future is here then I would invest here - many more very profitable opportunities
Will you marry me?

Just messin', I'm already married!

Will you be my sugar daddy?!?!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:21 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Will you marry me?

'Bout time you started buying a place to live, young Liz!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:25 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
'Bout time you started buying a place to live, young Liz!
You're tellin' me!!! Wish we could, we're waiting for another month or 2. We're gonna use our tax rebate to pay off most of our credit card. That way our debt to income ratio is a bit better. We tried for a mortgage with a few people about a month ago, but was only offered $180,000. You can't even buy a crack house for that here!!! They won't take my income into account (as I've only just started working), neither will they take our GI money, so no wonder it looks like we can only afford that!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're tellin' me!!! Wish we could, we're waiting for another month or 2. We're gonna use our tax rebate to pay off most of our credit card. That way our debt to income ratio is a bit better. We tried for a mortgage with a few people about a month ago, but was only offered $180,000. You can't even buy a crack house for that here!!! They won't take my income into account (as I've only just started working), neither will they take our GI money, so no wonder it looks like we can only afford that!

180's enough to get you rolling. Buy a smart townhouse in a decent neighbourhood if you can't afford an SFR. House prices have just dropped a good 10-15% here in the Valley, and it's the dead end of the season anyway, so put low ball offers in with your (cash-back!) realtor and try your luck. You can rent it out when you're ready to move on and become a sugar mamma.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:42 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Will you marry me?

I'm hardly rich (or even wealthy )

but I have found that if you do your research (and have a little capital) the good ol' USA is a good place to make some extra cash on top of your day job
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:02 am
Back where I belong!

180's enough to get you rolling. Buy a smart townhouse in a decent neighbourhood if you can't afford an SFR. House prices have just dropped a good 10-15% here in the Valley, and it's the dead end of the season anyway, so put low ball offers in with your (cash-back!) realtor and try your luck. You can rent it out when you're ready to move on and become a sugar mamma.
After we were told how much we could get, we changed our plans. We were going to buy a 4 bedroom house that we could live in for, at least, the next 10 years. We have now decided to buy a slightly run down 3 bedroom, live in it while we do it up & then sell it in a year or 2. Then use the equity to buy a lovely 4 bedroom before we have our 2nd child.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:08 am
Septicity

After we were told how much we could get, we changed our plans. We were going to buy a 4 bedroom house that we could live in for, at least, the next 10 years. We have now decided to buy a slightly run down 3 bedroom, live in it while we do it up & then sell it in a year or 2. Then use the equity to buy a lovely 4 bedroom before we have our 2nd child.

Sounds like a plan...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:14 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You're recommending an interest only loan in one posting and then go on to say that house prices are dropping by 10-15%. So the house might be worth less when you sell and you won't be able to pay off the original mortgage. Interest only loans are a mug's game. Get a 15 year fixed and pay off P and I. Its a great way to force you to save, you build equity fast.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:34 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by nun
You're recommending an interest only loan in one posting and then go on to say that house prices are dropping by 10-15%. So the house might be worth less when you sell and you won't be able to pay off the original mortgage. Interest only loans are a mug's game. Get a 15 year fixed and pay off P and I. Its a great way to force you to save, you build equity fast.
Not recommending anything for anyone specifically. Horses for courses!

If you require the discipline of P&I, go for it. If you like the flexibility of interest-only, go for it. If you want to take the risk of a loan with in-built negative amortization and you fully understand what you're doing and the main reason you're doing it is not kust to buy beyond your ability, go ahead.

I was saying what my favourite mortgage was; that is my best loan for my particular circumstances.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I was saying what my favourite mortgage was; that is my best loan for my particular circumstances.

Can we talk about something more interesting PLEASE!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:39 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Elvira
Can we talk about something more interesting PLEASE!!

Dunno! Nun was irritating me! Wondered who I'd recommended an interest-only loan to.

What would you like to talk about?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno! Nun was irritating me! Wondered who I'd recommended an interest-only loan to.

What would you like to talk about?
Opera.
Art.
Sex.
Rule(r)s
Feet
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:45 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Elvira
Opera.
Art.
Sex.
Rule(r)s
Feet

But this thread is about mortgages. Get to the Lounge, woman!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:49 pm
Homebody

But this thread is about mortgages. Get to the Lounge, woman!

Your will is my command!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Make him rent his own or live in halls and work at McD's to pay for it. Kids of today dont know they're born ffs.
Dead right. The flat will only end up like that house on "The Young Ones" if you let "University types" doss there rent free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.