Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US equity release for UK investment

US equity release for UK investment

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default US equity release for UK investment

We are thinking of getting around $200k of equity out of our US house and use it to purchase a flat back in the UK.

Does anyone here (Fatbrit?) have any advice, suggestions, ideas about potential pitfalls?

In particular we were wondering whether it would be better to re-mortgage the whole amount or just get a second mortgage for the equity release.

TIA!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:51 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US equity release for UK investment

Originally Posted by Elvira
We are thinking of getting around $200k of equity out of our US house and use it to purchase a flat back in the UK.

Does anyone here (Fatbrit?) have any advice, suggestions, ideas about potential pitfalls?

In particular we were wondering whether it would be better to re-mortgage the whole amount or just get a second mortgage for the equity release.

TIA!
I actually did just the opposite, i.e. got equity out of my flat in the UK

I'm using it to purchase 7 duplexes that each have $6-700 a month +ve cash flow.

resulting in $4000 a month to me in taxable income

if its a good investment Its worth it.

However, currency fluctuations can mess with your deal and 'cashing out' beyond a certain level can sting you with PMI

If your long-term future is here then I would invest here - many more very profitable opportunities
Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
If your long-term future is here then I would invest here - many more very profitable opportunities

We are considering that too - but we'd also like a pied-a-terre back home, and there's a possibility that # 2 son will go to uni in the UK, so a flat would be handy.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

TIA!
How longs a piece of string? Will need some basic info to give pointers. Give as much as you feel happy with.

Is your US residence currently on a mortgage?
If so,
Is there a pre-payment penalty?
What is the value of the house?
What is the balance on the mortgage?
Or (if you don't want to say to the two above), give me the LTV instead.
What sort of loan is it? (e.g. 7-year ARM, interest only @ 5.2%)

Your credit:
How long has it been established?
How many lines are there on it? (e.g. 1 mortgage, 2 car loans, 2 credit cards)
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:12 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We are considering that too - but we'd also like a pied-a-terre back home, and there's a possibility that # 2 son will go to uni in the UK, so a flat would be handy.
Make him rent his own or live in halls and work at McD's to pay for it. Kids of today dont know they're born ffs.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:14 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I actually did just the opposite, i.e. got equity out of my flat in the UK
I'm using it to purchase 7 duplexes that each have $6-700 a month +ve cash flow.resulting in $4000 a month to me in taxable income
Peter Rachman returns.......
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Hell Ray! You're old!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Hell Ray! You're old!
He gave us a new word for the dictionary Rachmanism

and I liked his girlfriend the infamous Mandy Rice-Davies
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:21 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Make him rent his own or live in halls and work at McD's to pay for it. Kids of today dont know they're born ffs.

But I don't fancy sleeping on some dorm room floor when I go and visit the ROH, National Gallery, the Tate.............. and him
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:31 am
Homebody

How longs a piece of string? Will need some basic info to give pointers. Give as much as you feel happy with.

Is your US residence currently on a mortgage?
If so,
Is there a pre-payment penalty?
What is the value of the house?
What is the balance on the mortgage?
Or (if you don't want to say to the two above), give me the LTV instead.
What sort of loan is it? (e.g. 7-year ARM, interest only @ 5.2%)

Your credit:
How long has it been established?
How many lines are there on it? (e.g. 1 mortgage, 2 car loans, 2 credit cards)

We have a mortgage that has another 12.5 years to run - good rate and no pre-payment penalties. There is plenty of 'spare' equity in the house. Good credit - no debts.

I have also PM'd you...

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:39 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL, Google was my friend!

You need to give me more credit! On a big picture level i'm quite tough but on a personal level i'm actually very nice and wouldn't dream of those kind of things - even if the law allowed it over here

Down here however, the rental income to property cost ratio is hard to ignore

General rule of thumb is that 8% cap rate for investments is OK. In this localility 11 - 12% is fairly easily achievable
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:44 am
Mr. Grumpy

We have a mortgage that has another 12.5 years to run - good rate and no pre-payment penalties. There is plenty of 'spare' equity in the house. Good credit - no debts.

I have also PM'd you...

you should be able to either refi and get a rate under 5.5% or get a heloc at .5% below prime

both have advantages and disadvantages

heloc has a higher rate but is effectively a big credit card that is 100% tax deductible (right now anyway)

my personal attitude to investments would be to get an option arm mortgage tied to the MTA.

if you want you can pay interest only, 15 year AM, 30 year Am, or a negative AM (not good), but typically if you make a big prepayment in one year, at the end of the year it re-amortizes and results in a lower standard monthly payment
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:29 am
Homebody

you should be able to either refi and get a rate under 5.5% or get a heloc at .5% below prime

heloc has a higher rate but is effectively a big credit card that is 100% tax deductible (right now anyway)

my personal attitude to investments would be to get an option arm mortgage tied to the MTA.

if you want you can pay interest only, 15 year AM, 30 year Am, or a negative AM (not good), but typically if you make a big prepayment in one year, at the end of the year it re-amortizes and results in a lower standard monthly payment

"an option arm mortgage tied to the MTA" sounds intriguing. I can see I'm going to get my financial brain in gear!

Thanks guys - I'm sure I'll come back with more questions!

Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:33 am
Septicity

My favourite mortgage is the one I got last year. It's a 15-year fixed in the lowish fives, interest only, with a balloon payment for the remaining principal at the end. There's no bloody escrow account with it, either! If you make a principal payment, the minimum payment decreases the following month. It's magic!

On the tax advantages you mentioned, there are three areas I'd like to expand on: 1) it's only advantageous with a sizeable loan so don't get carried away with it; 2) there have been mutterings in Washington lately about removing this perk -- so don't count on it; 3) the taxman balks at >100% equity loans.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jan 4th 2006 at 4:46 am. Reason: Can't count!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:58 am
Mr. Grumpy

My favourite mortgage is the one I got last year. It's a 15-year fixed in the lowish fives, interest only, with a balloon payment for the remaining principal at the end. There's no bloody escrow account with it, either! If you make a principal payment, the minimum payment decreases the following month. It's magic!

On the tax advantages you mentioned, there are three areas I'd like to expand on: 1) it's only advantageous with a sizeable loan so don't get carried away with it; 2) there have been mutterings in Washington lately about removing this perk -- so don't count on it; 3) the taxman balks at >100% equity loans.

PM me details about the loan if possible please - I ******* hate escrow crap and the re-amortisation sounds intriguiing - is it available for investors?

I agree with your tax advantage points, people do get carried away with it but at least its something (for the time being)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.