Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help Needed!

Urgent Help Needed!

Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed!

[QUOTE=dakota44;4450052]and then re-sold it to get most of your money back. Baddddddddddd decision.[/QUOT

You can not buy a new or used car in New Jersey without a us driving license, insurance etc so no we could not have done that.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
AFAIK, only if gets fired or laid off.
Thank you for the answer to my question.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We live in NJ and we managed to get our driving licenses and insurance without SS numbers.

When we first moved here my husband had a company car and the company offered to pay for a hire car until we managed to buy one for me. We searched around, on the internet, for the best rental deal we could and in the end I had a Taurus for a month or so. We would never have dreamed of hiring a more expensive car as we didn't want to appear to be milking the company. We also chose a deal which we knew was within our own budget, just in case the company reneged on the agreement.

If you decide to move back to the UK the company has no legal obligation to pay for repatriation costs.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Prior to out move we were told that all associated costs of the move would be covered this is clearly now being welched on, the company have known we rented from the airport on arrival and in December told us to submit the final bill to exspenses whenwe returned the car, as for buying a car iof the forecourt as some of you have stated, its very hard to do this without: insurance, credit or a lump sum of cash to do so.
Little point in looking @ the history now.

Are you going to try and stay and sort out the mess or leave?
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:07 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKgirl
Basically yes they told us to rent a car and they would cover the costs.

Do you have this in writing?
My guess is "no" or else she would have said so by now, since she's been asked this several times already.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandpete
I don't know what state you live in but we managed to get our driving licenses and insurance without SS numbers.

When we first moved here my husband had a company car and the company offered to pay for a hire car until we managed to buy one for me. We searched around, on the internet, for the best rental deal we could and in the end I had a Taurus for a month or so. We would never have dreamed of hiring a more expensive car as we didn't want to appear to be milking the company. We also chose a deal which we knew was within our own budget, just in case the company reneged on the agreement.

If you decide to move back to the UK the company has no legal obligation to pay for repatriation costs.
Were living in New Jersey and things do seem a little harder here than it appears in other states.

We too did not want to "Milk" the company ans so I went without a car for 8 weeks and was house bound, we only hired a basic 6 seater pacifica as we have 4 kids so need the seats, maybe we got a bad deal at Newark airport.

Ive just been corrected by my husband who tells me that the rental was actually $8,500 and the other expenses were related moving costs.

Had the company given us a company car as your hubby got we would not be in this situation at all.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
My guess is "no" or else she would have said so by now, since she's been asked this several times already.

~ Jenney
Hi there,
yes you are correct, sadly we do not have it in writing.

The company is very small, this is the first time they have ever moved a worker from another country, its not a new job either hes worked for them for 3 years based in the Uk, however lesson learnt not to trust verbal agreements.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I edited my last post after you replied.

We had no problems at all getting our licenses or insurance without SS numbers and we live in NJ. We went to a main MVC office and took all our visa paperwork and passports with us. We had a 5 minute interview to confirm all our papers were in order and were then given a slip of paper to take our driving tests.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Little point in looking @ the history now.

Are you going to try and stay and sort out the mess or leave?
You are 100% correct there!

The facts surrounding awaiting cars etc is not the issue, immediate purchase or lease could not be done and thats that.

We will try to resolve this issue on monday one way or another.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
yes you are correct, sadly we do not have it in writing.

The company is very small, this is the first time they have ever moved a worker from another country, its not a new job either hes worked for them for 3 years based in the Uk, however lesson learnt not to trust verbal agreements.
best of luck with whatever the outcome...and yes you are correct never ever act on verbal agreeements regarding anything.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mandpete
I edited my last post after you replied.

We had no problems at all getting our licenses or insurance without SS numbers and we live in NJ. We went to a main MVC office and took all our visa paperwork and passports with us. We had a 5 minute interview to confirm all our papers were in order and were then given a slip of paper to take our driving tests.

Perhaps it changed since you got yours or your visa is different?
I do not know but we could not take our test without 6 points of Id, one of which was a social security number.

Im not intitled to ss number only my hubby and I even had to get a letter fromm ss to explain this before I could take my test.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You are 100% correct there!

The facts surrounding awaiting cars etc is not the issue, immediate purchase or lease could not be done and thats that.

One thing Americans are good at is negotiating a solution IMO. Be fair and reasonable with the company. Seek a solution.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:22 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

I lived in nj, I know what it can be like and we've been through the small company promises (thank goodness we had lived here long enough to have a backup). Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perhaps it changed since you got yours or your visa is different?
I do not know but we could not take our test without 6 points of Id, one of which was a social security number.

Im not intitled to ss number only my hubby and I even had to get a letter fromm ss to explain this before I could take my test.
We're on L1/L2 visas and the rules haven't changed much in 5 years.

I-94 (4 points)
Marriage Certificate (3 points)
Bank Statements (1 point)

NJ MVC are/were notorious for staff not being clued up on 'foreign' drivers.

Good luck on Monday with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:36 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Without a social security number, USA license, insurance, credit or lump sum of cash to do so who would rent us a car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.