Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help Needed!

Urgent Help Needed!

Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed!

Originally Posted by Rete
Then my apologies to the OP but she did say that the vehicle had to be made and they needed more seats to accommodate her four daughters.

Never heard of anyone having a standard vehicle "made" unless it is customized in some manner. You buy from the lot and if it isn't on the lot, the dealer will look at other dealers for exactly or as close as possible for what you want. I know this because hubby bought a truck on Thursday and the one he wants with standard transmission is not available locally so it has to come up from the south. It will take 10 to 14 days to arrive. A heck of a lot less time than 8 weeks.

Yes I said it had to be made but not customized, this is because the international auto source only have agreements with certain dealers and they did not have one pre-made.

Finance for our ordered cars WAS NOT available straight from the dealer, which is why we used a agent! cant even buy without a license for which you need SSN and as I keep saying that took 10 weeks due to immigration

Good god if we could of come here and got instant finance it would of been wonderfull, sadly its not the case.

Further more to all the comments about buying off the lot, as I keep saying no finance or a lump sum of cash makes it kind of hard to do plus a lack of driving lisence

Perhaps we should of asked the company for several thousands to buy??????

Last edited by loopylorns; Feb 25th 2007 at 1:41 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In fairness Bob, even if she bought in Pennsylvania or New York in order to register the vehicle in New Jersey in addition to the taxes they would need insurance and quite probably a NJ state license.

As for a SSN we all who immigrated know that you never apply for a SSN the day after you arrive. You wait for at least 10 days for your name to be entered into the USCIS database and transferred to the SSA database. If it is not there, then the SSA needs to have manual written confirmation of the person's eligibility for the SSN. That can take up to ten weeks.
At last a person who talks sense!

we waited 14 days before going to SS office but were still not in system and it took a further 10 weeks to get a number, we did call them and chase up but were told they would not discuss it and to wait.

No wec would not have been able to register a car you are of course correct.

Any way the car buying etc is not the thread question.

They told us to rent till our cars arrived and to submit final bill when we returned it, we have done so and now they say they not paying.

That is the problem.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=dakota44;4451792]just curious. because i don't know the answer..but..given her husband had a job, and therefore obviously the required work visa...this is what the SSN website says is required for obtaining an SSN.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration documents. Acceptable documents from the Department of Homeland Security include your:

* Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);
* I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or
* Work permit card (I-766 or I-688B).

would the OP's husband not have been in possession of those? Otherwise how would he have entered the country to work.[/QUOT

Of course we had required papers!

have you not read the thread?
we applied for the SSN, it took 10 weeks.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
It's probably a timeline issue...they went and applied for the SSN straight off the bat instead of waited the 10 odd days it takes for them to get into the system, which meant they had to be manually verified....which takes time...
No we waited 14 days as our lawyer told us to but we were still not in the system
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:56 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

At that price you must have opted for the rental companies insurance which usually doubles the price. Could you not have used your husbands company insurance. We always do when we rent a car.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loopylorns
At last a person who talks sense!

we waited 14 days before going to SS office but were still not in system and it took a further 10 weeks to get a number, we did call them and chase up but were told they would not discuss it and to wait.

No wec would not have been able to register a car you are of course correct.

Any way the car buying etc is not the thread question.

They told us to rent till our cars arrived and to submit final bill when we returned it, we have done so and now they say they not paying.

That is the problem.
the problem is that the offer was not in writing

good luck, let's hope they cough up....it's easy to be wise after the event .....lesson learnt eh? all the best.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Without a social security number, USA license, insurance, credit or lump sum of cash to do so who would lease us a car?
that is a lot of money for a lease..... seriously a hell of a lot of money..they might be saying that ur trying to screw them....what the hell did u order a top of the range bmw..??? lexus???? sometimes going cheap is the best option if u aint got the cash in ur pocket ... why didnt the firm arrange the cars for u.... they probably could have got a better deal.. I think this is a case of running before u could walk.... i lease a car and i paid a tenth of what u paid for the past 4 months.....
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:12 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

That is the problem.
I'm curious if the company was aware on a current, ongoing basis of how long you were renting the car. In other words, did they know week-by-week that you were still renting the car? Or did they only find out how long you had rented the car when your husband gave them his expense report after 4 months that you had been renting this car the entire time?

Because that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I highly doubt the company anticipated that you'd be racking up 4 months' worth of rental fees for them to pay. Which leads me to think that they only found out that you had rented the car for more than 2-3 weeks when your husband gave them the bill. Instead, they probably thought it just took him a while to get around to submitting his expense report, not that the delay was caused because the rental was still ongoing.

So, did your husband keep them informed of the rental charges consistently over the four-month period? Or did they only find out of the long rental period (and the charges) after it was over? Knowing the answer to this question might help us be able to provide you with better feedback on how to approach your negotiation with them.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm curious if the company was aware on a current, ongoing basis of how long you were renting the car. In other words, did they know week-by-week that you were still renting the car? Or did they only find out how long you had rented the car when your husband gave them his expense report after 4 months that you had been renting this car the entire time?

Because that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I highly doubt the company anticipated that you'd be racking up 4 months' worth of rental fees for them to pay. Which leads me to think that they only found out that you had rented the car for more than 2-3 weeks when your husband gave them the bill. Instead, they probably thought it just took him a while to get around to submitting his expense report, not that the delay was caused because the rental was still ongoing.

So, did your husband keep them informed of the rental charges consistently over the four-month period? Or did they only find out of the long rental period (and the charges) after it was over? Knowing the answer to this question might help us be able to provide you with better feedback on how to approach your negotiation with them.

~ Jenney
Yep they knew,
this is the point of the matter, they told us to rent a car, they knew how long it was going to be before we got ours.

The only thing I can give them credit for is that Im sure they dont actually realise that you cant buy a car here withiout a license and that to get that you need a SSN, and to be 100% honest why would they? after all they are all American and have never been through this.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deedee13
that is a lot of money for a lease..... seriously a hell of a lot of money..they might be saying that ur trying to screw them....what the hell did u order a top of the range bmw..??? lexus???? sometimes going cheap is the best option if u aint got the cash in ur pocket ... why didnt the firm arrange the cars for u.... they probably could have got a better deal.. I think this is a case of running before u could walk.... i lease a car and i paid a tenth of what u paid for the past 4 months.....
The expenses bill is not for a leased car, its for a rental, hired from Newark airport on our arrival, Im guessing that approx $500 per week is about the norm for a suv? I dont know we might of got a crap deal but they were the only ones that would take a debit card all others wanted a credit card which in the Uk we never had. (another thing Ive found you deffo need here).
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vegas
At that price you must have opted for the rental companies insurance which usually doubles the price. Could you not have used your husbands company insurance. We always do when we rent a car.
The company does not as far as Im aware have car insurance that we could of used, but at the end of the day they should of perhaps rented for us to obtain a better deal, they gave us no help except the lawyers bill and actuall shipping costs.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh I just realised.

A lot of people are passing comment on how long our cars took to be made etc.

It would not of made a difference if they had been available of the lot straight away as some of you keep saying as you cant collect without NJ driving license for which you need SSN and as already stated that in total took 12 weeks from us landing. So in MHO we had no option to rent a car as the company did not provide one.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I just realised.

A lot of people are passing comment on how long our cars took to be made etc.

It would not of made a difference if they had been available of the lot straight away as some of you keep saying as you cant collect without NJ driving license for which you need SSN and as already stated that in total took 12 weeks from us landing. So in MHO we had no option to rent a car as the company did not provide one.
But as already posted, you could still have used your UK license to have gotten the car, that NJ license is for people that are already resident, and have a US license, that would need to transfer to a NJ license.

Good luck all the same, but it does seem like you'll be SOL as it's not written in your contract, so best bet is to try and get back as much as you can by being nice about it.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
But as already posted, you could still have used your UK license to have gotten the car, that NJ license is for people that are already resident, and have a US license, that would need to transfer to a NJ license.

Good luck all the same, but it does seem like you'll be SOL as it's not written in your contract, so best bet is to try and get back as much as you can by being nice about it.

You must have not read it correctly Bob.

We were only allowed to drive on UK license for 30 days after that we would be illegal, and you can not buy a car on a UK license.

You CAN NOT buy a new or used car in New Jersey without a NJ license.

The tranfer of license thing: If we had a different state license we could buy a car but not with a different a license from different country.

I dont know how to say it any clearer than this:

To buy a car in NJ you need a NJ lisence.

To get a NJ lisence you need a SSN.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to clarify:

You can buy a car but you cant collect it without the NJ lisence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.