Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unrealistic salary expectations?

Wikiposts

Unrealistic salary expectations?

Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:23 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unrealistic salary expectations?

All they really need to be able to do (at least as far as 7th grade) is color between the lines so that the scantron can read their test scripts.....
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought dinosaurs were just strange rock formations created by God to test our faith?
No, they were just trapped in rock by volcanic ash or the great flood, which miraculously didn't trap any modern mammals at all. It's proven by the science of looking at only specific rocks and ignoring any evidence to the contrary.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
In my on going search for a new job it suddenly struck me that I hadn't considered teaching. I don't know how serious the idea is yet but I did come across the "teaching fellows" scheme that seems to run here in AZ. Seems like a fast track sort of deal. Anyone know anything about it?

Anyway back to the point, a little research later reveals starting salaries in the range of $28-34k. What? You want to entrust in me the education of the future of this country for that? I could stack shelves at Costco for that.
Are benefits (healthcare, pension, etc) a worthwhile factor to adjust the value of the 'overall package' perhaps?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Are benefits (healthcare, pension, etc) a worthwhile factor to adjust the value of the 'overall package' perhaps?
Without knowing exactly what they are it's hard to say. A few years back the wife worked as a librarian at a public library. An equally odd profession paid a pittance yet requiring a masters degree. They did have very cheap health insurance essentially through the union. Pay your union dues and you get close to free insurance. It wasn't very good insurance compared to the one we dropped from my work but it was hundreds of dollars cheaper in terms of premiums. So I guess an extra 5-6k?

Actually as an aside, while she worked there she made friends with the other librarians, the majority of which had always grown up and lived in union households. They could not comprehend that the majority of the non-union working population of the US had to pay premiums amounting to hundreds if not a thousand or more per month. They always had "free" insurance through the union and didn't realize others didn't.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
When my 7th grader started KG, the letter formation they taught included the "tails" on letters, obviously getting ready for cursive. Then a couple of years later, they changed to a more blocky format, minus the tails....allegedly because it makes them look more like the letters on a keyboard/screen. He now has frankly diabolical writing, lousy presentation, and yet he is a straight A student and no one at school gives a toss that his papers are virtually illegible. But he can tell me whether a prepositional phrase is adjectival or adverbial in a heart beat, which clearly is a far more important life skill than writing....
I have exactly the same thing, DS is Grade 7 also, the teachers love him as he excels at facts and figures. But exactly the same, I can't even read his writing its more like a 7 year olds.

Also my DD has learning difficulties Grade 5, aged 10 her writing is around a 6 year old, her reading a good 7 year old and maths more like aged 6. She is unable to do division, fractions or percentages and only basic subtraction and addition. Whats scary is she did the State Tests and met the expected level for her age

Even worst is we move back to the UK in 5 weeks, will update on here to let you know how far behind they are in the UK.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Without knowing exactly what they are it's hard to say. A few years back the wife worked as a librarian at a public library. An equally odd profession paid a pittance yet requiring a masters degree. They did have very cheap health insurance essentially through the union. Pay your union dues and you get close to free insurance. It wasn't very good insurance compared to the one we dropped from my work but it was hundreds of dollars cheaper in terms of premiums. So I guess an extra 5-6k?

Actually as an aside, while she worked there she made friends with the other librarians, the majority of which had always grown up and lived in union households. They could not comprehend that the majority of the non-union working population of the US had to pay premiums amounting to hundreds if not a thousand or more per month. They always had "free" insurance through the union and didn't realize others didn't.
How much were they paying in union dues though?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
How much were they paying in union dues though?
I have family Teacher connections in the UK, from what I have seen here quite a few of the same things apply.

Douglas County School board is up for re election locally, interesting to see how it votes, old vs new.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
A few months ago a friend of mine was arranging life insurance - he earms around $160k, about three times more than his school teacher wife - she was worth more than he was (more expensive to insure) due to the value of her defined benefits pension.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

PERA comes to mind.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever these sort of pay and condition discussions come up, and it is mentioned how poor the pay and/ or benefits are for many/ most unionized occupations, I always end up wondering if the pay and/or benefits are bad despite the union representation, or because of it?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
A few months ago a friend of mine was arranging life insurance - he earms around $160k, about three times more than his school teacher wife - she was worth more than he was (more expensive to insure) due to the value of her defined benefits pension.
And I wonder if that level of pension is still available today, or is just grandfathered in for 'older' (longer tenured) staff.

I'm at a point in my life now where I don't need to make a big salary any longer; I just need to cover costs and avoid dipping into savings if possible. And of course, I need healthcare coverage. So I'm opening my mind to other occupations; something where I could be helpful to others, get a sense of achievement, contribution, etc. As a technology guy, my thoughts turn to how I could apply my 30 years of experience to using technology to assist the disabled, or the elderly, etc. It's quite an exciting thought but I have no idea what to do.