Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing Driver license whilst waiting for change of status.

Renewing Driver license whilst waiting for change of status.

Old Oct 26th 2013, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Ponker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing Driver license whilst waiting for change of status.

My Florida driver license expires in January, the same time as my visa expires. We have been approved for our greencard but are going through the change of status procedure, and it is unlikely that we will have our Greencard before my license runs out.
When I called to find out what documents I require to renew my license, I was told that I needed a visa or a greencard, and if I had neither I would not be able to drive...
Does anybody know if this is correct, or is there any document that I can present to renew my license whilst we are waiting for the Greencard?

Many thanks
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Driver license whilst waiting for change of status.

Originally Posted by Ponker
My Florida driver license expires in January, the same time as my visa expires. We have been approved for our greencard but are going through the change of status procedure, and it is unlikely that we will have our Greencard before my license runs out.
When I called to find out what documents I require to renew my license, I was told that I needed a visa or a greencard, and if I had neither I would not be able to drive...
Does anybody know if this is correct, or is there any document that I can present to renew my license whilst we are waiting for the Greencard?

Many thanks
Do you have an EAD in hand? That should be acceptable. You can try showing the NOA from the I-485; not sure it will help, though.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been approved for our greencard but are going through the change of status procedure, and it is unlikely that we will have our Greencard before my license runs out.
I just re-read your post and bolded the relevant part above. So the I-485 has been approved? You've had an AOS interview and the case status shows approved? And now you're just waiting for the physical green card to show up in the mail? If that's the case, you don't have long to wait, the card should show up within a week or so of the interview. In the meantime, you can probably make an Infopass appointment to go in person and get a temp I-551 stamp in your passport. USCIS can look up your case and see that it's been approved.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene
Sorry I didn't explain properly - just the first part has been approved - we are now going through the change of status.

I don't have and EAD. My husband has an O1 visa, I have an O3 so cannot work!

Thanks

Sarah
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:40 am

Thanks Rene
Sorry I didn't explain properly - just the first part has been approved - we are now going through the change of status.

I don't have and EAD. My husband has an O1 visa, I have an O3 so cannot work!

Thanks

Sarah
I see. When does your I-94 expire?

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:48 am
Just Joined

Beginning of March - so I guess I could used that to give me two extra months?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 3:24 am

Beginning of March - so I guess I could used that to give me two extra months?
Yes, I believe that would be acceptable, as that shows you are allowed to stay in the USA until that time.

In the meantime, perhaps your 1-year EAD will come through after filing AOS, and you'll be able to use that until your green card comes.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for Georgia, but I was only able to renew my license for as long as my GC was valid. Once I got (and could prove) citizenship, I got it renewed for the full term.

So, the answer is, assuming it's the same in AZ as it is in GA, your renewal will depend on the amount of time you can prove you are legally in the US, be it by visa, green card or any other measure.

This is my own experience. YMMV.