Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uncertainty of expat life

Uncertainty of expat life

Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uncertainty of expat life

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Will the contractor be responsible for disposing of the old wood siding ? . We get three quotes and ask to see a couple of jobs they have recently done
With T1-11 siding it is quite common to leave the old stuff in place, put a new vapor barrier over it and then the new on top. Several neighbors have had theirs replaced that way. T1-11 comes in 8 x 4 sheets, so all they take off if necessary are the water damaged sheets.

Problem is with vinyl siding you can get three quotes but are they all for the same quality of product, which one is the good stuff and which is crap. This is were you are disadvantage by lack of knowledge.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Don't worry it was obviously a moronic comment.
Not really, Dh just replaced one whole wall of T1-11 siding on our house, it's the sunniest wall and it had buckled and looked just awful. While all the siding was off he added a little more insulation and made sure the moisture barrier was all good.
He only needed my help a few times to make sure the siding didn't move as he was fixing it down.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

With T1-11 siding it is quite common to leave the old stuff in place, put a new vapor barrier over it and then the new on top. Several neighbors have had theirs replaced that way. T1-11 comes in 8 x 4 sheets, so all they take off if necessary are the water damaged sheets.

Problem is with vinyl siding you can get three quotes but are they all for the same quality of product, which one is the good stuff and which is crap. This is were you are disadvantage by lack of knowledge.

We have a brick house but it has a very large extension that was built on before we moved in that had wood siding and also an extra large double garage joined to the extension that had wood siding also.

Last October my husband and a friend covered the original wood siding with new vinyl siding. He removed some of the old weather damaged siding, and the fihe looknished job with all the trim made such a difference! Now I need some new doors to finish the look I guess by doing it ourselves we saved a fair bit of money and it certainly will increase the value as well.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by General Tojo
We're likely going to have a house constructed in the not too distant future out here semi-rural way, how long did it take for the wood to be 'all coming away'?

I'm pretty ignorant having lived in rented Tokyo flats all these years, didn't even know the word 'siding'

Did you think of attempting the painting yourselves, Sally?
The house was built in 1980 so I guess it's lasted this long.

The problem we have is the height of the house, it's two-storey and built into a hillside and sits on top of the garage, the inspectors at the time of purchase wouldn't even go up high enough to look at the bit which is particularly badly 'all coming away' If it were a ranch house it would not be the same problem.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Not really, Dh just replaced one whole wall of T1-11 siding on our house, it's the sunniest wall and it had buckled and looked just awful. While all the siding was off he added a little more insulation and made sure the moisture barrier was all good.
He only needed my help a few times to make sure the siding didn't move as he was fixing it down.
One wall maybe, a two story house and garage is a little more than a one man job.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The house was built in 1980 so I guess it's lasted this long.

The problem we have is the height of the house, it's two-storey and built into a hillside and sits on top of the garage, the inspectors at the time of purchase wouldn't even go up high enough to look at the bit which is particularly badly 'all coming away' If it were a ranch house it would not be the same problem.
The back of our house is 3 stories high...there is no way I would let my hubby climb up that high. It's just not worth the risk of falling. Like you said if it was a ranch/bungalow we would do all the repairs/maintenance ourselves.

Our entrance foyer and family room is 2 stories high...again I don't want hubby taking the risk when decorating.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The back of our house is 3 stories high...there is no way I would let my hubby climb up that high. It's just not worth the risk of falling. Like you said if it was a ranch/bungalow we would do all the repairs/maintenance ourselves.

Our entrance foyer and family room is 2 stories high...again I don't want hubby taking the risk when decorating.
Yes, not worth the risk.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

One wall maybe, a two story house and garage is a little more than a one man job.
You didn't mention a two story, no way I'd have let him climb so high with siding, in that case $20,000 for the lot sounds about right.
Single story he could do on his own, one big wall took two weeks on his days off only, so the whole house for us would just take a few more weeks. Or his vacation time.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We have a brick house but it has a very large extension that was built on before we moved in that had wood siding and also an extra large double garage joined to the extension that had wood siding also.

Last October my husband and a friend covered the original wood siding with new vinyl siding. He removed some of the old weather damaged siding, and the fihe looknished job with all the trim made such a difference! Now I need some new doors to finish the look I guess by doing it ourselves we saved a fair bit of money and it certainly will increase the value as well.
Actually I'm having a mad moment here.....we don't have vinyl siding we replaced the wood siding with metal siding...
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK I knew what was a good product for the job and what was a reasonable labor cost. Here I don't have a clue, you can see how people fall for scams.
I think this is the key phrase and applies to a lot of things.

The A/C just failed on our car. $2200 to replace it, I had the guy break it down on the phone each part and then the 6hrs labor. Problem is these days you can look online and find the parts for a third of the price and then there's a video on youtube showing you how easy it is... Anyway we're saving up, maybe get it fixed before next summer.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 7:52 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had to replace siding (always had brick/mostly brick) but I do know it is not that expensive here if you use a local company/family business plus it's considered to be a fairly easy type of job. The large part of the cost would come from the materials. Even before times were tough rates were decent, but now that the construction business is in the pits it seems like labor is even less expensive. My handyman/plumber/licensed electrician only charges $25 an hour. You may have to wait a couple of weeks but he does a great job. He's refurbishing my tin roof next month.

I live in a small town (pop. 12,000) so it was easy to find out who was reputable and who wasn't. My realtor told me about this guy. And he is bonded.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think this is the key phrase and applies to a lot of things.

The A/C just failed on our car. $2200 to replace it, I had the guy break it down on the phone each part and then the 6hrs labor. Problem is these days you can look online and find the parts for a third of the price and then there's a video on youtube showing you how easy it is... Anyway we're saving up, maybe get it fixed before next summer.
Mine went out two days ago, I'm hating life. I have to wait till Wednesday to get it fixed (Dh is a mechanic) I don't think I'd last till next summer
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Can't help except say the wood is all coming away from our house and based on what a small amount of painting cost, it will be $20,000 at the very least to put right.

Oh for brick.
If it makes you feel any better, I have brick failing on our garage that needs to be addressed and I don't have a clue what to expect from a cost standpoint there!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Not necessarily. I have a relative in Loveland OH, who lives in a beautiful place made entirely from clay brick
You just put my mind at ease. I was thinking ... I don't think our brick home is built on a wood frame! (We live 15 minutes from Loveland.)

Then again, our home was built in the 1930s. The garage does have brick applied to a wood frame in some cases and that's where we're having some trouble.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

One thing with living in a different country is having the confidence to deal with things which only crop up on rare occasions.

Last year we had new windows put in and at that time the contractor mentioned that the siding would only last another 3 or 4 years, and be $20K plus to replace. It is T1-11 siding and we knew when we got the house unless it had been well looked after the siding would need to be renewed. We had it painted but it has started to fail on two sides.

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim. So the problem is while I think it is a good deal, I have a nagging doubt I'm getting screwed because coming from England where brick built is the normal, I have no experience to base the validity of my decision on.
Without knowing the area to be covered, I would hesitate to guess if the price is OK. You could go to Lowe's, or somebody like that, and ask them to give you a quote, since if anything goes wrong, they would be on the hook. You could also try your local building inspector, and ask her/him for names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.