Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uncertainty of expat life

Uncertainty of expat life

Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Uncertainty of expat life

One thing with living in a different country is having the confidence to deal with things which only crop up on rare occasions.

Last year we had new windows put in and at that time the contractor mentioned that the siding would only last another 3 or 4 years, and be $20K plus to replace. It is T1-11 siding and we knew when we got the house unless it had been well looked after the siding would need to be renewed. We had it painted but it has started to fail on two sides.

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim. So the problem is while I think it is a good deal, I have a nagging doubt I'm getting screwed because coming from England where brick built is the normal, I have no experience to base the validity of my decision on.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 5th 2011 at 11:23 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:33 pm
Banned

Night Crawler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uncertainty of expat life

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
One thing with living in a different country is having the confidence to deal with things which only crop up on rare occasions.

Last year we had new windows put in and at that time the contractor mentioned that the siding would only last another 3 or 4 years, and be $20K plus to replace. It is T1-11 siding and we knew when we got the house unless it had been well looked after the siding would need to be renewed. We had it painted but it has started to fail on two sides.

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim. So the problem is while I think it is a good deal, I have a nagging doubt I'm getting screwed because coming from England where brick built is the normal, I have no experience to base the validity of my decision on.
I think you could save about $20,000 if you did the job yourself
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please disregard Night Crawler's posts...he's a previously banned troll.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Please disregard Night Crawler's posts...he's a previously banned troll.
Don't worry it was obviously a moronic comment.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry it was obviously a moronic comment.
Sorry I can't help you with your question. $20K won't get you much around here. Just been quoted $2K for an electrician to put a replacement oven in an oven housing.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help except say the wood is all coming away from our house and based on what a small amount of painting cost, it will be $20,000 at the very least to put right.

Oh for brick.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Can't help except say the wood is all coming away from our house and based on what a small amount of painting cost, it will be $20,000 at the very least to put right.

Oh for brick.
Ditto. We have just had to have some of the wood frame of our 13 yr old house replaced due to wet rot. Fortunately it was covered by insurance.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:49 am

Back in the UK I knew what was a good product for the job and what was a reasonable labor cost. Here I don't have a clue, you can see how people fall for scams.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post

Oh for brick.
We're likely going to have a house constructed in the not too distant future out here semi-rural way, how long did it take for the wood to be 'all coming away'?

I'm pretty ignorant having lived in rented Tokyo flats all these years, didn't even know the word 'siding'

Did you think of attempting the painting yourselves, Sally?
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have to say I'd have no idea what a good price for replacing the siding is.

When I do buy a house, it's gonna be brick.....
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
Yeah I have to say I'd have no idea what a good price for replacing the siding is.

When I do buy a house, it's gonna be brick.....
Unfortunately it will still be wood framed.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Will the contractor be responsible for disposing of the old wood siding ? . We get three quotes and ask to see a couple of jobs they have recently done
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim.
Spent $10K on a new roof this spring, so your price for all of this work sounds in the ballpark to me.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Unfortunately it will still be wood framed.
Not necessarily. I have a relative in Loveland OH, who lives in a beautiful place made entirely from clay brick.

All of the houses in my neighborhood are stucco-covered concrete block construction - including the interior load bearing walls.

I would agree that timber is used widely, due to availability and economy - but it is by no means the only construction option available.

As for siding - the reality is that you can indeed save yourself a heap of money by doing it yourself - if you have the ability and the tools. As in the UK, there are truly gigantic margins in plastic/vinyl extrusions and moldings.

I was quoted around $1000 per window, to replace 6 standard size windows in my home. A friend and I ended-up doing the work ourselves, with a better quality product for around $400 per window - and I know the job was done properly, rather than by some jerk-off with a pry-bar and no respect for the property of others. (Yes, I pulled a permit, yes said friend is a licensed contractor).
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Awesome Welles;9541517]Not necessarily. I have a relative in Loveland OH, who lives in a beautiful place made entirely from clay brick.

All of the houses in my neighborhood are stucco-covered concrete block construction - including the interior load bearing walls.

I think building codes in FL are different because of hurricanes. Brick or concrete is not the norm in the rest of the country. There are always exceptions to the rule though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.