British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Uncertainty of expat life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uncertainty-expat-life-727610/)

lansbury Aug 5th 2011 11:19 pm

Uncertainty of expat life

One thing with living in a different country is having the confidence to deal with things which only crop up on rare occasions.

Last year we had new windows put in and at that time the contractor mentioned that the siding would only last another 3 or 4 years, and be $20K plus to replace. It is T1-11 siding and we knew when we got the house unless it had been well looked after the siding would need to be renewed. We had it painted but it has started to fail on two sides.

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim. So the problem is while I think it is a good deal, I have a nagging doubt I'm getting screwed because coming from England where brick built is the normal, I have no experience to base the validity of my decision on.

Night Crawler Aug 5th 2011 11:33 pm

Re: Uncertainty of expat life

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9540646)
One thing with living in a different country is having the confidence to deal with things which only crop up on rare occasions.

Last year we had new windows put in and at that time the contractor mentioned that the siding would only last another 3 or 4 years, and be $20K plus to replace. It is T1-11 siding and we knew when we got the house unless it had been well looked after the siding would need to be renewed. We had it painted but it has started to fail on two sides.

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim. So the problem is while I think it is a good deal, I have a nagging doubt I'm getting screwed because coming from England where brick built is the normal, I have no experience to base the validity of my decision on.

I think you could save about $20,000 if you did the job yourself

Jerseygirl Aug 5th 2011 11:46 pm

Please disregard Night Crawler's posts...he's a previously banned troll.

lansbury Aug 5th 2011 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9540666)
Please disregard Night Crawler's posts...he's a previously banned troll.

Don't worry it was obviously a moronic comment.

Jerseygirl Aug 5th 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9540672)
Don't worry it was obviously a moronic comment.

Sorry I can't help you with your question. $20K won't get you much around here. Just been quoted $2K for an electrician to put a replacement oven in an oven housing. :blink:

Sally Redux Aug 6th 2011 1:24 am

Can't help except say the wood is all coming away from our house and based on what a small amount of painting cost, it will be $20,000 at the very least to put right.

Oh for brick.

Jerseygirl Aug 6th 2011 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9540742)
Can't help except say the wood is all coming away from our house and based on what a small amount of painting cost, it will be $20,000 at the very least to put right.

Oh for brick.

Ditto. We have just had to have some of the wood frame of our 13 yr old house replaced due to wet rot. Fortunately it was covered by insurance.

lansbury Aug 6th 2011 1:49 am

Back in the UK I knew what was a good product for the job and what was a reasonable labor cost. Here I don't have a clue, you can see how people fall for scams.

General Tojo Aug 6th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9540742)

Oh for brick.

We're likely going to have a house constructed in the not too distant future out here semi-rural way, how long did it take for the wood to be 'all coming away'?

I'm pretty ignorant having lived in rented Tokyo flats all these years, didn't even know the word 'siding' :o

Did you think of attempting the painting yourselves, Sally?

BritishGuy36 Aug 6th 2011 4:54 am

Yeah I have to say I'd have no idea what a good price for replacing the siding is.

When I do buy a house, it's gonna be brick.....

Jerseygirl Aug 6th 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 9540911)
Yeah I have to say I'd have no idea what a good price for replacing the siding is.

When I do buy a house, it's gonna be brick.....

Unfortunately it will still be wood framed.

ottotheboar Aug 6th 2011 2:01 pm

Will the contractor be responsible for disposing of the old wood siding ? . We get three quotes and ask to see a couple of jobs they have recently done

Nutmegger Aug 6th 2011 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9540646)

So just had a quote for $25K to replace all the siding, trim, fascia, soffits, and porch roof with a top quality vinyl siding and trim.

Spent $10K on a new roof this spring, so your price for all of this work sounds in the ballpark to me.

Awesome Welles Aug 6th 2011 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9541415)
Unfortunately it will still be wood framed.

Not necessarily. I have a relative in Loveland OH, who lives in a beautiful place made entirely from clay brick.

All of the houses in my neighborhood are stucco-covered concrete block construction - including the interior load bearing walls.

I would agree that timber is used widely, due to availability and economy - but it is by no means the only construction option available.

As for siding - the reality is that you can indeed save yourself a heap of money by doing it yourself - if you have the ability and the tools. As in the UK, there are truly gigantic margins in plastic/vinyl extrusions and moldings.

I was quoted around $1000 per window, to replace 6 standard size windows in my home. A friend and I ended-up doing the work ourselves, with a better quality product for around $400 per window - and I know the job was done properly, rather than by some jerk-off with a pry-bar and no respect for the property of others. (Yes, I pulled a permit, yes said friend is a licensed contractor).

1chumly Aug 6th 2011 2:44 pm

[QUOTE=Awesome Welles;9541517]Not necessarily. I have a relative in Loveland OH, who lives in a beautiful place made entirely from clay brick.

All of the houses in my neighborhood are stucco-covered concrete block construction - including the interior load bearing walls.

I think building codes in FL are different because of hurricanes. Brick or concrete is not the norm in the rest of the country. There are always exceptions to the rule though.