Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK student loans

UK student loans

Old Jan 28th 2015, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK student loans

I repay with US credit card via the studentloanscompay website. At least I get some air-miles.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in exactly same situation! I was always able to defer my loans to the SLC and one year I thought I had sent in all the paperwork but they didn't get it...it was also the year I moved around....long story short my loan went into arrears! I finally got a letter saying they were going o bring me to court! I called them and explained thee situation...the guy said its really common as so many students move abroad (I was so embarrassed lol). Anyway...there was over £1000 in arrears charges a it was closer to 2 years that I was awol. They let me set up a payment plan...I pay £40 per month as I am not working right now. I'll pay more when I go back to work. I transfer money every month to my UK bank account and they debit it from there. I use xoom.com to do it . The $4.99 transfer fee isn't bacd and some months I'll transfer a few months payment at a time.

I would get in touch with them. They are super nice and helpful and don't judge.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
The Student Loans Company sold on a lot of their loans so your loan may no longer be with them. Companies they sold to included Graduate Student Loans and one with a very dodgy name that I can't remember

Presumably, just as with non-student loan arrears, pursuance of debt will then be subject to the 6 year Statute of Limitations?
I have occasionally wondered this in the past because I was under the impression that due to the way student loans were set-up that they remained 'live' (for want of a better terminology) for the lifetime of the loan? With normal debt the 6 year statute, I believe, is deemed to have begun upon the date of last contact/payment does, will not the same apply for newer type student loans that have remained unserviced or even sold on?

I am in no way suggesting the OP fail to service his debt but should it happen presumably there will come a time when the Statute would apply?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:46 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
I was in exactly same situation! I was always able to defer my loans to the SLC and one year I thought I had sent in all the paperwork but they didn't get it...it was also the year I moved around....long story short my loan went into arrears! I finally got a letter saying they were going o bring me to court!
Oh yeah? And just how do they plan on doing that I wonder? Given the loan is a civil matter. You should have ignored their threats.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indigogirl1976
I was in exactly same situation! I was always able to defer my loans to the SLC and one year I thought I had sent in all the paperwork but they didn't get it...it was also the year I moved around....long story short my loan went into arrears! I finally got a letter saying they were going o bring me to court! I called them and explained thee situation...the guy said its really common as so many students move abroad (I was so embarrassed lol). Anyway...there was over £1000 in arrears charges a it was closer to 2 years that I was awol. They let me set up a payment plan...I pay £40 per month as I am not working right now. I'll pay more when I go back to work. I transfer money every month to my UK bank account and they debit it from there. I use xoom.com to do it . The $4.99 transfer fee isn't bacd and some months I'll transfer a few months payment at a time.

I would get in touch with them. They are super nice and helpful and don't judge.
I don't get this. In the UK, had you been unemployed and not earning then you wouldn't have had the payments taken - it's done using PAYE and triggered once your income reaches the threshold for payments.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I don't get this. In the UK, had you been unemployed and not earning then you wouldn't have had the payments taken - it's done using PAYE and triggered once your income reaches the threshold for payments.
Mine was an older student loan taken out in 1997. It was before the days when they take it straight out of your paycheck. They let me defer payments every year as I didn't have to make payments until I earned over a threshold which if I remember was £25,000 per annum. I had to send in a recent payslip or a letter from the dole (if I was unemployed) every year to show my income. When I settled here in Florida after leaving the UK and moving around a lot I got a bunch of mail forwarded from my old address with lots of letters from them saying I had gone into arrears and if I did not contact them and start paying arrears they would take legal action. They also said I was not able to defer ever again. When I called them and said I was married, have no paid employment myself and that I stayed at home in the USA with my 2 young children they asked me to fill out a household budget showing how much money my husband earned and what we spent it on. They came up with the £40 per month payment which they review every 6 months. That'll teach me for being so lax and not keeping on top of things!