Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to send UK passport for renewal

How to send UK passport for renewal

Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to send UK passport for renewal

What have others done to send their UK passport to the Passport Office in Durham?

It looks like FedEx will cost nearly $100. As I understand it the USPS tracking is only within the US. Are there any other options? (Yes, I know to take a trip to England is one, but that is not feasible right now).
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to send UK passport for renewal

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
What have others done to send their UK passport to the Passport Office in Durham?

It looks like FedEx will cost nearly $100. As I understand it the USPS tracking is only within the US. Are there any other options? (Yes, I know to take a trip to England is one, but that is not feasible right now).
USPS lat rate international priority. About half the cost of Fed or UPS. I've sent stuff to my bank and tracked it. When it came to my passport I did send it back by DHL from my local mail shop.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
USPS lat rate international priority. About half the cost of Fed or UPS. I've sent stuff to my bank and tracked it. When it came to my passport I did send it back by DHL from my local mail shop.
Thanks for your reply. I used USPS Registered International Mail. I mailed it on January 8 and it arrived today, January 21. Not exactly a speedy service, but that was not important to me. It was less than half the cost of FedEx.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

MidAtlantic

I'd be interested to see how long yours takes to process as I need to renew mine this year!
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

My husband sent his last week with USPS express (I think that's what it's called). He got his new one today and a separate courier also tried to deliver his old one but of course we had popped out, so they are coming back tomorrow. It took 7 days! � ����
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
MidAtlantic

I'd be interested to see how long yours takes to process as I need to renew mine this year!
I will report back.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK so here's how mine worked out:

January 8 mailed by USPS Registered International Mail

January 21 delivered to UK Passport Office

January 23 shown as dispatched on the Passport Office On-line tracking

January 27 old passport (the only "supporting document") received.

January 29 new passport received.

So that was a total of 22 days, but most of that was transit time.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

My parents posted my sons 1st Adult passport application from the UK after their holiday here, on the 13th January'15. It was received by the passport office 14th January, and arrived here in Texas yesterday 28th Jan'15 - exactly 2 weeks from the passport office receiving our application form.

Although I cannot comment on how best to send it to the UK, I can say that I am very impressed with how quickly the new passport was issued and returned (including the old passport).
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I will report back.
You did, and thanks! Glad it went smoothly for you