Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by JAJ
Except that just because the document says it, and the call center agents (who probably just read from the document) also say it, doesn't mean that it's actually enforced. Other than in genuinely exceptional circumstances.
I'm getting a bit tired of this. If the British Consul goes to the trouble of posting on this forum, there is an expansive requirement put forward after a terrorist chops off someone's head, the agency responsible tells you that you have to do it and so does the paperwork they provide you, I think it's safe to say they're fairly serious about it.

To suggest that you're okay ignoring it seems fairly reckless to me. Admittedly worse case scenario they refuse to issue a passport and I don't actually need the thing, but it's clearly a requirement and not a suggestion.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 12:40 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm getting a bit tired of this. If the British Consul goes to the trouble of posting on this forum, there is an expansive requirement put forward after a terrorist chops off someone's head, the agency responsible tells you that you have to do it and so does the paperwork they provide you, I think it's safe to say they're fairly serious about it.

To suggest that you're okay ignoring it seems fairly reckless to me. Admittedly worse case scenario they refuse to issue a passport and I don't actually need the thing, but it's clearly a requirement and not a suggestion.
You may wish to give up your liberty; others do not.

Btw - Brits doing a great job catching "Jihadi John" aren't they? ISIL are running rings around the West, and all our government proposed doing is drastically reducing OUR liberties further? No thanks. Not in my name.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Sep 15th 2014 at 1:03 am.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You may wish to give up your liberty; others do not.
I wouldn't be moaning about it if I did! I object to the requirement, however be under no illusions, it is a clearly-stated requirement, not a suggestion.

Anyway, I mailed my application on the 8th, they signed for it on the 15th, the passport was issued on the 22nd and I got it today via DHL, the 25th. So 16 days going by the time of day.

Which I have to say is blindingly fast by Canadian standards, I think it took longer than that to get my Canadian one! In fairness though that it is mainly because Canada Post is crap.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 4:00 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I wouldn't be moaning about it if I did! I object to the requirement, however be under no illusions, it is a clearly-stated requirement, not a suggestion.

Anyway, I mailed my application on the 8th, they signed for it on the 15th, the passport was issued on the 22nd and I got it today via DHL, the 25th. So 16 days going by the time of day.

Which I have to say is blindingly fast by Canadian standards, I think it took longer than that to get my Canadian one! In fairness though that it is mainly because Canada Post is crap.
Did DHL contact you before delivering? I only ask as mine was issued on the 23rd and no-one will be around to sign for it tomorrow if they turn up unannounced.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:42 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Did DHL contact you before delivering? I only ask as mine was issued on the 23rd and no-one will be around to sign for it tomorrow if they turn up unannounced.
They never told me. Mine just showed up.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:46 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
At the point you inform them.
Very true. Tell 'em nowt.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 10:59 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
They never told me. Mine just showed up.
Thanks. Mine just arrived along with my old passport so I don't have to worry about missing the delivery tomorrow.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 12:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Yes they did, you can just leave a signed note with the AWB number on it and they will leave it. I did that but I got home just as they showed up, but the delivery person confirmed that would have been sufficient.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

icecreamqueen is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations to all those who have managed to get their passports renewed. Mine on the other hand HAS BEEN AN ORDEAL. I had a blue passport expired for many years issued in New York. So i had to apply as if a new applicant. However, Since applying in May all i have had is one more item needed one after another even though they were provided all the documents as per their check list. They even apologized in an email for not asking for some document earlier. I have my British Citizen naturalization document and still they wanted my parents Birth certs and Marriage certs. WHY? Does my Naturalization not have Merit? I cant my parents documents as my father suffers from Dementia in UK and he would never be able to find them. I was able to get copies from my siblings but they want originals. The status on the web site is worthless as it is never updated since i applied. I finally gave in today and asked they return my old passport and my original documents and I DONT CARE if they never send me my passport. I am waving the white flag of surrender to the British Passport Service. If it wasn't for my father living there and needing to go back and forth more often soon and to take care of his affairs I could care less. ARE YOU LISTENING DEAN from the UK embassy. The worst case of customer service ever.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

icecreamqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

SO i just received and email from the British Passport service. They want a fee of 10.16 pounds to return my original documents. Are you KIDDING me -- and what about the EXTRA costs i incurred to mail individual pieces of documents because your people are incompetent. UNBELIEVABLE.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 1:51 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by icecreamqueen
If it wasn't for my father living there and needing to go back and forth more often soon and to take care of his affairs I could care less. ARE YOU LISTENING DEAN from the UK embassy. The worst case of customer service ever.
My feeling is Embassy staff feel as aggravated as you do concerning the abortion of a process now in place by the incompetent Home Office. Unfortunately there's very little they can do about it.

I must ask though, apart from having to queue longer in the non EU arrivals line, why do you need your GB passport? Once you're in the country you can stay as long as you like, given you're a British citizen.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 10:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

My suggestion would be on your next trip if you can be bothered, go to the passport office in person. From the sounds of it they're a bit suspicious about your identity.

But I have to say I am wondering whether I will renew it next time. Just doesn't seem worth the effort, last couple of times I've stood in line, the "non-EU nationals" line only had half a dozen people in it. I will reserve judgement until I see how good the ePassport machines are.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

catrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, expat in the US here, about to renew my passport online. Just wanted to ask those of you in the US who have received your passports/supporting documents how the DHL courier service works, if I need to be present to sign for it, etc.

The website seems to discourage sending to an office address:

We do not normally return a passport to an address that is different from the applicant’s current address. If you need the passport sent to a different address, tick this box and complete the address field that follows. You will need to explain why you want the passport delivered to a different address in the 'additional information' box later on and you may be asked to provide evidence of your connection to that address.

In exceptional circumstances we may consider delivery to a non-residential address, but this will be considered on a case by case basis, and you may be asked to provide evidence of your connection to that address.
Should I get it sent to my house, where I won't be during normal working hours, or should I get it sent to my office, where either I or someone else will be there to take delivery of it?

Cheers in advance.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:08 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catrabbit
Hi guys, expat in the US here, about to renew my passport online. Just wanted to ask those of you in the US who have received your passports/supporting documents how the DHL courier service works, if I need to be present to sign for it, etc.

The website seems to discourage sending to an office address:

Should I get it sent to my house, where I won't be during normal working hours, or should I get it sent to my office, where either I or someone else will be there to take delivery of it?

Cheers in advance.
Just did mine. It does require a signature, but you get a tracking number so you know when it will arrive, and you can just leave a bit of paper taped to the door with the tracking number written on it, signed by you, with instructions to leave the package (if you are comfortable doing that). Worked for me.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

catrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Lion! Just sent it off with my home address. If you don't mind, how long did the process take for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.