Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old May 16th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Flippinblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

I renewed my adult passport from Miami in Jan 2015 and the whole thing took 12 days from the day I sent it in the post until i received it back all nice and renewed! Very quick. Got an sms the day before deliveryfrom DHL

I just did my baby's 1st passport from Miami also. Here's the timeline:

28 April: sent to Durham via DHL. FedEx was slightly cheaper but its system 'didn't like' the HMPO's post code when the attendant input it and it kept getting an error. Fedex is american vs DHL which is European, the mail shop man explained that was the reason for the issue....

1 May: received by Durham.
12 May: printed
15 May: received!!!!! 👏👏👏👏 I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!!!
This time I didn't get a DHL alert beforehand.

I should add that my baby was born in the US, but I did request her British birth (registration) certificate from the UK before applying to her passport and sent it along with her application. Maybe that sped things up.

The Gov.UK website states it takes AT LEAST 10 weeks to process a Child First P from abroad, with no possibility of fasts tracking it nor to get an ETD, so I was expecting it to take much longer than the two weeks in took!... I even called the helpline and emailed, but of course, all they do is quote the website like robots... Very helpful: "10 weeks madam... 10 weeks madam..." Plus I've read all the horror stories of people waiting months and months and months for new passports.

I'm very pleased with the service, can't complain.

On 8 May I also sent my other daughter's passport for renewal. Let's see how that one goes. I'll update with that timeline when it comes through

Last edited by Flippinblue; May 16th 2015 at 6:06 pm. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old May 16th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flippinblue
I renewed my adult passport from Miami and the whole thing took 12 days from the day I sent in until i received It back! Very quick. Got an sms the day before from DHL

I also got my baby her 1st passport, here's the timeline:

28 April: sent to Durham via DHL. FedEx was slightly cheaper but it's system 'didn't like' the PO's address and kept getting an error.

1 May: received by Durham.

12 May: printed

15 May: received!!!!! 👏👏👏👏 I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!!!
This time I didn't get a DHL alert beforehand.

I should add that my baby was born in the US, but I did request her British birth (registration) certificate from the UK before applying to her passport and sent it along with her application. Maybe that speed things up.

The Gov.UK website states it takes AT LEAST 10 weeks to process a Child First P, so I was expecting it to take much longer than the two weeks in took!... I even called the helpline and emailed, but of course, all they do is quote the website like robots... V helpful: "10 weeks madam... 10 weeks madam..." Plus I've read all the horror stories of people waiting months and months and months for new passports

I'm very pleased with the service, can't complain.

On 8 May I also sent my other daughter's passport for renewal. Let's see how that one goes.

Don't forget your baby will need to use a US passport to enter and leave the US.
Old May 16th 2015, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget your baby will need to use a US passport to enter and leave the US.
Yes, thank you!
We'll take both
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

anguilla1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 92GTA
I applied online for my first adult passport (I had one when I was 3).

Applied online: 24 April 2015
Docs via FedEx: 27 April 2015
Delivered: 29 April 2015
Status updated: 30 April 2015 - Declaration form received, being processed

.... and now I'm just waiting.

Alex
5 weeks now since my declaration form was received and still waiting. Feels like it's been 3 months of waiting lol.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:41 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 92GTA
5 weeks now since my declaration form was received and still waiting. Feels like it's been 3 months of waiting lol.
I just finished doing my renewal and sent off the declaration form & other documents this afternoon. One page told me overseas renewals would take around 6 weeks, but another page said up to 3 months. I'm hoping the former is true....
Old Jun 4th 2015, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I just finished doing my renewal and sent off the declaration form & other documents this afternoon. One page told me overseas renewals would take around 6 weeks, but another page said up to 3 months. I'm hoping the former is true....
My daughter's renewal took just under 3 weeks last month. I called the consulate to make a backup appoitnment to get an ETD just in case I didn't get it back in time for travel and they said not to worry, that it wouldn't take much longer that 2-3 wks. They were right on target...
Old Jun 4th 2015, 7:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's renewal took just under 3 weeks last month. I called the consulate to make a backup appoitnment to get an ETD just in case I didn't get it back in time for travel and they said not to worry, that it wouldn't take much longer that 2-3 wks. They were right on target...
That's terrific news, Flippinblue! Ta for that.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Jben04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to say the USPS location where i tried to send my passport off is being run by total muppets!

First off , the woman told me the price of global express shipping would be $71.40, even though it said up on the wall $55.60.
Secondly ,the woman said that their system wouldn't take the delivery address, kept telling me that there is a street address missing

Ended up walking away, going to the local UPS location, ( which i should've done in the first place) and sending my documents off ($55.40) with a delivery date of Wednesday 1st July....
now to see how long it takes
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jben04
Just want to say the USPS location where i tried to send my passport off is being run by total muppets!

First off , the woman told me the price of global express shipping would be $71.40, even though it said up on the wall $55.60.
Secondly ,the woman said that their system wouldn't take the delivery address, kept telling me that there is a street address missing

Ended up walking away, going to the local UPS location, ( which i should've done in the first place) and sending my documents off ($55.40) with a delivery date of Wednesday 1st July....
now to see how long it takes
If you were trying to send your application to Durham then DH97 1PA is the postal address and DH1 5TL is the street address.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you were trying to send your application to Durham then DH97 1PA is the postal address and DH1 5TL is the street address.
Thanks for the info,, but UPS managed to sort it out with no problem, what so ever.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 11:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jben04
Thanks for the info,, but UPS managed to sort it out with no problem, what so ever.
Just for future reference if anyone else has the same problem
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:11 pm
Under blue skies

Well, my renewal took a week longer, 4 weeks in total. I'm not complaining though!

Applied online 2nd of June. Posted my documents--including colour copies of every single page of my US passport!--the following day. New maroon passport was delivered yesterday.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Well, my renewal took a week longer, 4 weeks in total. I'm not complaining though!

Applied online 2nd of June. Posted my documents--including colour copies of every single page of my US passport!--the following day. New maroon passport was delivered yesterday.
Summer rush probably.

Opinion varies here on the need to or extent to which one should comply with providing copies of other passports.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 7:36 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Opinion varies here on the need to or extent to which one should comply with providing copies of other passports.
Aha, I did wonder about that.... But I was in a rush to get my renewal, so decided to comply with the request.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Mine was delivered to Durham this morning
Now the fun begins where i check the status at least once a day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.