Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:17 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Sorry if I missed something back a ways...at which point does the UK govt know you have another passport?
At the point you inform them.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

It would be helpful if you gave me some context. I was only curious.
I sent in for my UK renewal at the same time that I applied for my US passport.
(If it's been covered before I can go look.)

Do you have to inform them?
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

They'll never know if you don't and there's nothing they can do if you don't. There's no such requirement if you apply in the UK. I would say it's so they don't have to offer consular assistance to dual nationals living in their other country though that doesn't explain why they need a copy of every page of your foreign passport.

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 5th 2014 at 1:30 am.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 1:53 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
It would be helpful if you gave me some context. I was only curious.
I sent in for my UK renewal at the same time that I applied for my US passport.
(If it's been covered before I can go look.)

Do you have to inform them?
No. I wouldn't. It's none of the British governments business. You're not jihadi John, are you, so balls to them and their oppressive requirements.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They'll never know if you don't and there's nothing they can do if you don't. There's no such requirement if you apply in the UK. I would say it's so they don't have to offer consular assistance to dual nationals living in their other country though that doesn't explain why they need a copy of every page of your foreign passport.
They would know if you declared it on a prior passport application/renewal. I've no idea whether I did so I would feel "obliged" to declare it on a subsequent renewal. The new "copy of every page" requirement does feel like a piece of kneejerk bullshit in the name of "fighting terrorism".

There was an article in The Economist a few weeks ago about how the UK treats its expats unusually poorly. I guess this is just another small example of that.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 5th 2014 at 5:08 am.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:00 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No. I wouldn't. It's none of the British governments business. You're not jihadi John, are you, so balls to them and their oppressive requirements.
Exactly this.

Surely the simplest thing (if you can) is just not declare that you have a US passport, if there's nothing in law that says you must...
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
They would know if you declared it on a prior passport application/renewal. I've no idea whether I did so I would feel "obliged" to declare it on a subsequent renewal. The new "copy of every page" requirement does feel like a piece of kneejerk bullshit in the name of "fighting terrorism".
I would simply not declare it. Or if I did I wouldn't send it or a copy in. Given that passports are issued by Royal Prerogative HMPO would be on very shaky ground to deny me a passport on that basis. At best it's a request dressed up as a requirement.

There was an article in The Economist a few weeks ago about how the UK treats its expats unusually poorly. I guess this is just another small example of that.
A few years the then-director of FCO Consular Services - the man in charge of looking after British citizens abroad - told me that if you're a long-term expat then you should naturalise, throw your lot in with the country in which you were living and let them look after you. Says it all really.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

pushgog90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like it's been a while since people updated with timelines... I'll add mine.

Application for First Time Adult Passport
16 August: Submitted online application and paid fee
20 August: Documents and Declaration form sent via Fedex to Durham
22 August: Fedex tracking shows declaration and docs received at HMPO
26 August: After one email to customer service... Docs officially received
8 September: Status changed to "Dispatched"
9 September: Text from DHL stating that a package would be arriving
10 September: New Passport arrived

I was prepared for a 10 week wait like others had experienced, but it seems as though HMPO has now got things working fast and efficiently.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 12:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

They'll never know if you don't
They might, if you're on a list of possibly nasty people maintained by MI6, CSIS, the NSA, etc.

and there's nothing they can do if you don't.
They can refuse to issue your passport.

There's no such requirement if you apply in the UK.
Don't think you're right on that one.

I would say it's so they don't have to offer consular assistance to dual nationals living in their other country though that doesn't explain why they need a copy of every page of your foreign passport.
It's for intelligence purposes, according to my MP, who told me he thought it was a great idea (he's a minister) and thought he would pass it on to Passport Canada.

Which didn't put me in an entirely good mood and I pointed out at great length that it was an infringement of our sovereignty and I didn't serve in the military fighting terrorists so I could surrender any of my rights in the name of fighting terrorism, to quote Ben Franklin (or whoever it was) "he who surrenders an essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserves neither" and moreover I didn't care if "80% of Canadians" support removing citizenship from dual citizens who are convicted of terrorist offences because the standard for dual citizenship is determined by Canada, not an international court and moreover the standard of conviction of a terrorist offence in Iraq for example is far removed from what it would be in Canada.

And to prove the point I quoted a current case in Canada where the government is claiming someone is Indian and the Indian government disagrees and guess what happened today... ‘Stateless’ Ottawa-born man loses bid for citizenship | Ottawa Citizen Rendered stateless. Because Canada says he's Indian and India says he isn't. Thereby proving my point.

Anyway the whole thing is f---ing pointless because the only reason for my having a British passport is so I can stand in a shorter line when entering certain countries but if they're going to hassle me about it, nuts to them. Like I said earlier in the thread, the British have a passport fetish and think you have to have one to travel internationally. Moreover they seem to think British passports are worth more than those of other nationalities so we have to meekly submit to whatever loopy requirements they come up with.

Wrong on both counts. And if Scotland separates, I can't wait to see what the Scottish think about having to provide their Scottish passport in order to get their UK one renewed.

Last edited by Steve_; Sep 11th 2014 at 12:34 am.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
They might, if you're on a list of possibly nasty people maintained by MI6, CSIS, the NSA, etc.
If you're on a watchlist and they know you're a dual national already then asking for a copy of your passport is somewhat superfluous.

They can refuse to issue your passport.
Unless you're a football hooligan or are about to go off to become a jihadi in the Middle East then that's highly unlikely.

Don't think you're right on that one.
Happy to be corrected but I've never seen evidence to the contrary.

It's for intelligence purposes, according to my MP, who told me he thought it was a great idea (he's a minister) and thought he would pass it on to Passport Canada.
Is this your British or Canadian MP? Either way if they are relying on would-be terrorists to willing provide copies of their second passports I can't imagine it will be all that effective.

Which didn't put me in an entirely good mood and I pointed out at great length that it was an infringement of our sovereignty and I didn't serve in the military fighting terrorists so I could surrender any of my rights in the name of fighting terrorism, to quote Ben Franklin (or whoever it was) "he who surrenders an essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserves neither" and moreover I didn't care if "80% of Canadians" support removing citizenship from dual citizens who are convicted of terrorist offences because the standard for dual citizenship is determined by Canada, not an international court and moreover the standard of conviction of a terrorist offence in Iraq for example is far removed from what it would be in Canada.

And to prove the point I quoted a current case in Canada where the government is claiming someone is Indian and the Indian government disagrees and guess what happened today... ‘Stateless’ Ottawa-born man loses bid for citizenship | Ottawa Citizen Rendered stateless. Because Canada says he's Indian and India says he isn't. Thereby proving my point.

Anyway the whole thing is f---ing pointless because the only reason for my having a British passport is so I can stand in a shorter line when entering certain countries but if they're going to hassle me about it, nuts to them. Like I said earlier in the thread, the British have a passport fetish and think you have to have one to travel internationally. Moreover they seem to think British passports are worth more than those of other nationalities so we have to meekly submit to whatever loopy requirements they come up with.
Well since the UK isn't part of the Schengen Agreement and there's no British national identity card scheme then unless you're going to Ireland then you will need a passport. More a practicality than a fetish. Again, if you don't want them to have a copy of your Canadian passport, then don't submit it.

Wrong on both counts. And if Scotland separates, I can't wait to see what the Scottish think about having to provide their Scottish passport in order to get their UK one renewed.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on a watchlist and they know you're a dual national already then asking for a copy of your passport is somewhat superfluous.
Depends on where you've been.

Unless you're a football hooligan or are about to go off to become a jihadi in the Middle East then that's highly unlikely.
I'm told it's highly likely if I fail to follow the law.

Happy to be corrected but I've never seen evidence to the contrary.
Unless the website works differently in the UK (which I doubt) it is a requirement for all applicants.

Is this your British or Canadian MP? Either way if they are relying on would-be terrorists to willing provide copies of their second passports I can't imagine it will be all that effective.
Canadian. I can't see how it is effective either but apparently some terrorists are really stupid.

Well since the UK isn't part of the Schengen Agreement and there's no British national identity card scheme then unless you're going to Ireland then you will need a passport. More a practicality than a fetish. Again, if you don't want them to have a copy of your Canadian passport, then don't submit it.
By "fetish" I meant the British seem to think every country is as obsessed with passports as they are and the fact is they aren't. They have compelled people into having passports, a lot of other countries haven't, hence the lack of effectiveness of the requirement. It doesn't occur to bureaucrats in other countries because they know people can travel internationally without a passport. So submitting a copy of your French passport, which has no stamps in it because you don't need to use it, isn't going to tell them much.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 12:45 am

Depends on where you've been.
If you heading for Syria or Iraq to join the Islamic State then you won't be getting visas or entry stamps. You may get an electronic visa to enter Turkey before you drift over the unmarked border and that's about it. If you're on a watch list then they would already be tracking your movements via API and will likely be aware of any other possible nationalities you may hold.

I'm told it's highly likely if I fail to follow the law.
Told by whom? There's no legal requirement. Refusing to issue a British passport to a British citizen is extremely rare.

A passport application may be refused or an existing passport may be withdrawn. These are the persons who may be refused a British passport or who may have their existing passport withdrawn:

i a minor whose journey was known to be contrary to a court order, to the wishes of a parent or other person or authority in whose favour a residence or care order had been made or who had been awarded custody; or care and control; or

ii a person for whose arrest a warrant had been issued in the United Kingdom, or a person who was wanted by the United Kingdom police on suspicion of a serious crime; or

iii a person who is the subject of:

- a court order, made by a court in the United Kingdom, or any other order made pursuant to a statutory power, which imposes travel restrictions or restrictions on the possession of a valid United Kingdom passport; or
bail conditions, imposed by a police officer or a court in the United Kingdom, which include travel restrictions or restrictions on the possession of a valid United Kingdom passport; or
- an order issued by the European Union or the United Nations which prevents a person travelling or entering a country other than the country in which they hold citizenship; or
- a declaration made under section 15 of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

iv A person may be prevented from benefitting from the possession of a passport if the Home Secretary is satisfied that it is in the public interest to do so. This may be the case where:
- a person has been repatriated from abroad at public expense and their debt has not yet been repaid. This is because the passport fee supports the provision of consular services for British citizens overseas; or
- a person whose past, present or proposed activities, actual or suspected, are believed by the Home Secretary to be so undesirable that the grant or continued enjoyment of passport facilities is contrary to the public interest.

There may be circumstances in which the application of legislative powers is not appropriate to the individual applicant but there is a need to restrict the ability of a person to travel abroad.

The application of discretion by the Home Secretary will primarily focus on preventing overseas travel. There may be cases in which the Home Secretary believes that the past, present or proposed activities (actual or suspected) of the applicant or passport holder should prevent their enjoyment of a passport facility whether overseas travel was or was not a critical factor.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...l-of-passports

Unless the website works differently in the UK (which I doubt) it is a requirement for all applicants.
In the UK you can apply on-line, by post, in person or by application via the Post Office. None of these options ask you about dual nationality or for copies of any foreign passport you may hold.

Canadian. I can't see how it is effective either but apparently some terrorists are really stupid.
Why would a Canadian MP know anything about the application requirements for a British passport?

By "fetish" I meant the British seem to think every country is as obsessed with passports as they are and the fact is they aren't. They have compelled people into having passports, a lot of other countries haven't, hence the lack of effectiveness of the requirement. It doesn't occur to bureaucrats in other countries because they know people can travel internationally without a passport. So submitting a copy of your French passport, which has no stamps in it because you don't need to use it, isn't going to tell them much.
Not sure where you getting this from or going with it to be honest. If you want to have a British passport any more then don't renew it. If you do want a British passport and don't want to send in a copy of your Canadian passport then don't. It won't make a scrap of difference to your application.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 11:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Told by whom? There's no legal requirement. Refusing to issue a British passport to a British citizen is extremely rare.
By IPS. That link you've quoted lays out why they want it really, to figure out if you fit those guidelines. What they're looking for is information.

In the UK you can apply on-line, by post, in person or by application via the Post Office. None of these options ask you about dual nationality or for copies of any foreign passport you may hold.
This is the general guidance, page 12 seems to indicate it applies to everyone. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...notes_4_14.pdf - not sure what their definition of "uncancelled passport" is, whether it includes foreign passports.

Why would a Canadian MP know anything about the application requirements for a British passport?
Well that was his assumption. I mean, you don't introduce a requirement for all the pages to be sent immediately after a terrorist beheads someone unless you want some information about where people are travelling.

Not sure where you getting this from or going with it to be honest. If you want to have a British passport any more then don't renew it. If you do want a British passport and don't want to send in a copy of your Canadian passport then don't. It won't make a scrap of difference to your application.
What do you mean, where am I getting it from? The British Consul has posted in this thread saying you have to do it, IPS told me on the phone I have to do it, it specifically warned me in the declaration document the passport website spat out I have to do it (and in fact said I could only send in a copy rather than the original in "exceptional circumstances" and that they "reserved the right" to see it before issuing a passport). That link you provided explains why they want it.

It's not my imagination!
Old Sep 13th 2014, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

jackal2uk is an unknown quantity at this point

What are thoughts about having family send your British passport renewal application from the UK, versus applying and sending your US passport (or color photocopy) from your US location?

I see some advise against sending your original US passport (even the full color copy?), or just not even declaring you have one, but would they not have a record of status (owning a US passport/being a US citizen)? My concern is being queried as to what my status is, if applying from overseas (without sending a US passport).
Old Sep 14th 2014, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean, where am I getting it from? The British Consul has posted in this thread saying you have to do it, IPS told me on the phone I have to do it, it specifically warned me in the declaration document the passport website spat out I have to do it (and in fact said I could only send in a copy rather than the original in "exceptional circumstances" and that they "reserved the right" to see it before issuing a passport). That link you provided explains why they want it.

It's not my imagination!

Except that just because the document says it, and the call center agents (who probably just read from the document) also say it, doesn't mean that it's actually enforced. Other than in genuinely exceptional circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.