Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by catrabbit
Thanks Lion! Just sent it off with my home address. If you don't mind, how long did the process take for you?
It was pretty quick. Three weeks(ish). Don't forget to call your bank/credit card company to make sure they authorize any charge from the UK - unless it's already gone through. Mine did when I did the online process, others have had problems.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

icecreamqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: UK passport renewal times in the USA

So this morning at 8.00 AM (Saturday) the phone rings and its the passport service. I guess my weekly emails asking for status is working. However, the young lady who called apologized and was sorry as to how long it has taken but had no updated except it was still in security checks. I am traveling to UK on November 14 for 3 weeks on my USA passport but do not want to have them send these documents here when i am not here. Also plan to be going to see my local MP for West Harrow Middlesex while i am there if this is not resolved. As i said i am a naturalized British Citizen (in 1973) with a certified copy of my Naturalization certificate from the National Archives, yet they are asking for my parents birth certificate, marriage cert etc which i have provided copies of since my father has the originals in UK. FYI I applied at the end of May 2014. The British embassy here in New York is of no help either as they don't answer phones or Emails. SAD SAD SAD state of affairs.
Any suggestions - I really need my British passport to help sort of my ailing fathers affairs which is easier as a British Citizen.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal times in the USA

Originally Posted by icecreamqueen
So this morning at 8.00 AM (Saturday) the phone rings and its the passport service. I guess my weekly emails asking for status is working. However, the young lady who called apologized and was sorry as to how long it has taken but had no updated except it was still in security checks. I am traveling to UK on November 14 for 3 weeks on my USA passport but do not want to have them send these documents here when i am not here. Also plan to be going to see my local MP for West Harrow Middlesex while i am there if this is not resolved. As i said i am a naturalized British Citizen (in 1973) with a certified copy of my Naturalization certificate from the National Archives, yet they are asking for my parents birth certificate, marriage cert etc which i have provided copies of since my father has the originals in UK. FYI I applied at the end of May 2014. The British embassy here in New York is of no help either as they don't answer phones or Emails. SAD SAD SAD state of affairs.
Any suggestions - I really need my British passport to help sort of my ailing fathers affairs which is easier as a British Citizen.
Don't wait; lodge a complaint with your MP now. It's the only action that will speed the process along. Your British passport going to the US won't be much use if you need it in the UK.

Out of interest when did your last British passport expire?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:02 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal times in the USA

YOU ARE A BRITISH CITIZEN!

Travel to the UK on your US passport and stay as long as you like.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Oct 20th 2014 at 4:32 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 5:39 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Well we shall see what happens, My passport application was received this morning in Durham.
Took photos in Walgreens on Monday lunch break the lady their knew more about the British passport photos than I did, she had to do them twice as she cut the first ones down to 45mm x 34mm and insisted on redoing them as they would be rejected sent like that.
The machine has the correct face placement software for a lot of different countries.

Got back to work filled out application and paid, posted application that afternoon.

Included full color copy of US passport.
Declaration page instructions says print on A4 or US letter do not make any adjustments to settings on the form.
I will post back once I have any updates.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Did DHL contact you before delivering? I only ask as mine was issued on the 23rd and no-one will be around to sign for it tomorrow if they turn up unannounced.
DHL did email me prior to delivery and I rerouted mine to be delivered to my job.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

catrabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my my passport delivered today. All in all it took 11 days from the day I Fedexed off the docs, 8 if you start counting from the day the passport office received it. Very nice job, people at HM passport office!

Thanks Lion in Winter for the good advice. I rerouted mine to my job too.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 8:30 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fsm
Well we shall see what happens, My passport application was received this morning in Durham.
Took photos in Walgreens on Monday lunch break the lady their knew more about the British passport photos than I did, she had to do them twice as she cut the first ones down to 45mm x 34mm and insisted on redoing them as they would be rejected sent like that.
The machine has the correct face placement software for a lot of different countries.

Got back to work filled out application and paid, posted application that afternoon.

Declaration page instructions says print on A4 or US letter do not make any adjustments to settings on the form.
So 6 days after they received the passport the status now shows dispatched.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

NitroTerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there-

I have applied for my first British passport and it has taken forever. I'm wondering if this is possibly a bad sign? I didn't send in my parent's marriage certificate but they didn't ask for it. Would they tell me if for some reason my application is denied? I haven't heard anything from them.

My mom was born in Bermuda to British parents so my case is a little confusing, I haven't been able to find solid information on being born in Bermuda versus England. However my male cousins have received their British passports via their father (my mom's brother) who was also born in Bermuda. I was born post 1981 but pre 2002 when a lot of the laws started changing.

Application submitted online: July 21
Declaration and supporting documents received: August 4
Counter signatory's copy of passport received: October 23
Online status changed to dispatched: October 30

Any knowledge appreciated.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:42 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by fsm

Passport arrived today, cannot fault the service at all.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:43 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by NitroTerp
Hi there-

I have applied for my first British passport and it has taken forever. I'm wondering if this is possibly a bad sign? I didn't send in my parent's marriage certificate but they didn't ask for it. Would they tell me if for some reason my application is denied? I haven't heard anything from them.

My mom was born in Bermuda to British parents so my case is a little confusing, I haven't been able to find solid information on being born in Bermuda versus England. However my male cousins have received their British passports via their father (my mom's brother) who was also born in Bermuda. I was born post 1981 but pre 2002 when a lot of the laws started changing.

Application submitted online: July 21
Declaration and supporting documents received: August 4
Counter signatory's copy of passport received: October 23
Online status changed to dispatched: October 30

Any knowledge appreciated.
Dispatched means exactly that, you should get your passport next week.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

NitroTerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fsm
Dispatched means exactly that, you should get your passport next week.
THANK YOU!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Lou11669 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone help me? I need to renew my British passport from USA (New York). The passport expires in July and I need it for travel to the UK at the end of May (being that you need 3-6mths of validity on your passport before expiry). The problem is that I need to use the passport for travel at the end of Feb so cannot send it off until Feb 25th. This gives me 11 weeks to send it off and receive it back. I will be booking travel soon as it's my sisters wedding I am going home for, I HAVE to have it back in time! Am I going to be okay in this time frame?? I am based in NY and thought perhaps I could do it in person easily at the NY British Consulate, I cannot find any information on this so I take it this isn't an option? I called the British Passport hotline and they said it has to sent to the UK and it should take 8 weeks or so but that they can't guarantee anything, maybe add two weeks for US. I wish I had done this a couple of months ago, I didn't realize I could renew it so in advance and didn't know at that point I would be traveling abroad in February. Can anyone tell me how long it is taking them at the moment to process renewals coming from the USA and if you think 11 weeks will be enough time since I am booking travel for my whole family in advance. Feeling stressed...
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Lou11669 is an unknown quantity at this point

P.S are you supposed to fill in the online form and pay the same day as you send the passport? In other words, can I pay nine and full out forms before my feb vacation and send passport off the day I arrive home (a week in between) or should I do it all the day I came back? Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou11669
Can anyone help me? I need to renew my British passport from USA (New York). The passport expires in July and I need it for travel to the UK at the end of May (being that you need 3-6mths of validity on your passport before expiry). The problem is that I need to use the passport for travel at the end of Feb so cannot send it off until Feb 25th. This gives me 11 weeks to send it off and receive it back. I will be booking travel soon as it's my sisters wedding I am going home for, I HAVE to have it back in time! Am I going to be okay in this time frame?? I am based in NY and thought perhaps I could do it in person easily at the NY British Consulate, I cannot find any information on this so I take it this isn't an option? I called the British Passport hotline and they said it has to sent to the UK and it should take 8 weeks or so but that they can't guarantee anything, maybe add two weeks for US. I wish I had done this a couple of months ago, I didn't realize I could renew it so in advance and didn't know at that point I would be traveling abroad in February. Can anyone tell me how long it is taking them at the moment to process renewals coming from the USA and if you think 11 weeks will be enough time since I am booking travel for my whole family in advance. Feeling stressed...
Welcome to BE.

UK PPs are now processed in the UK...it used to be in DC. If you have a US visa/GC then you don't require x number of months validity on your UK PP. Maybe you need it to travel to a different country?

Sorry I can't help you with renewal times...hopefully someone will come along soon who can,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.